Road Runners.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I ran a 10k today at the nearby national park. The temp at the start of the race was near 80 degrees, with a breeze coming from the southeast. I finished in 40.47, 3rd overall and received the Master's award for the first time. I just turned 45 yesterday, and this is my first race in this new age group.
attachment.php

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
You're looking kinda scrawny these days bro, better get some protein powder and hit the gym :happy-very:
j/k and great job Steve.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Steve, great accomplishment. You're about five years older than me, I'll run it when 45 comes around.
Thanks man! I'll be looking for you out there.

You're looking kinda scrawny these days bro, better get some protein powder and hit the gym :happy-very:
j/k and great job Steve.
You ain't kidding there, I'm the lightest I've been in a long time. The protein powder I do take is what's helping me keep the muscle tone, so's I don't look like your "typical" runner. This is what my local nemesis looks like. The only thing missing is the heart rate monitor around his chest.:happy2:

greyhound_h05.jpg

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
You ain't kidding there, I'm the lightest I've been in a long time. The protein powder I do take is what's helping me keep the muscle tone, so's I don't look like your "typical" runner. This is what my local nemesis looks like. The only thing missing is the heart rate monitor around his chest.:happy2:
Yeah, it's a trade off you have to make if you want to run at or near your potential. The year I hit most of my PR's followed a decision to cut my lifting back to some very light maintenance work. I'm back at it now though, I enjoy lifting too much to be happy without it and it's not like I was gonna make a living off road racing anyway, I never had that kind of speed :happy-very:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Yeah, it's a trade off you have to make if you want to run at or near your potential. The year I hit most of my PR's followed a decision to cut my lifting back to some very light maintenance work. I'm back at it now though, I enjoy lifting too much to be happy without it and it's not like I was gonna make a living off road racing anyway, I never had that kind of speed :happy-very:
Very true. I've gotten way faster and have been busting PR's left and right, but do I dare go any further? I'd like to run a sub 3 hour marathon. Can I do this?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Very true. I've gotten way faster and have been busting PR's left and right, but do I dare go any further? I'd like to run a sub 3 hour marathon. Can I do this?
A 40:47 10k predicts about a 3:11 marathon according to McMillan's calculator. Assuming you still have some top end you haven't squeezed out yet, it's doable.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
My 10k PR is actually 40.06, followed by a 18.43 5k, a 1:27.37 1/2 and my first marathon was a 3:19.16. Do the math on THAT, LOL. I think I'll be able to do it alright. My goal is to run at a 6.50 pace.

whiskey

My 10k PR is actually 40.06, followed by a 18.43 5k, a 1:27.37 1/2 and my first marathon was a 3:19.16. Do the math on THAT, LOL. I think I'll be able to do it alright. My goal is to run at a 6.50 pace.

go to a track tomorrow and do a time trial for one mile. Let us know how you made out. Try to remember your quarter splits.
As far as sub 3 hours in the marathon, some courses are flatter than others. And the time of year helps, with regard to temperature. I think your math supports a sub 3.

BrownNinjaz

I ride road bicycle. When I get hired, I am going to ride my bicycle to work which will take me approximately 20 minutes. That's why I chose day shift. I am planning to do racing for road bicycle. I need to train a lot. Perhaps in the summer, I will start riding for miles.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I ride road bicycle. When I get hired, I am going to ride my bicycle to work which will take me approximately 20 minutes. That's why I chose day shift. I am planning to do racing for road bicycle. I need to train a lot. Perhaps in the summer, I will start riding for miles.
When I was on the pre-load my van had broken down and I didn't have enough money to fix it, so I had an old Italian road bike that I used to get to and from work. It was 16 miles each way, back then, but you do what you have to.

Since I've been a driver I used a mountain bike for a couple of years, going 26 miles round trip. I upgraded to a Trek road bike about 2 years ago and haven't looked back, LOL, that's literal as well, because I never look back at the cars that are coming from behind. Just turning your head can make you swerve into the roadway and I pray before I ride, so I don't fear what's coming from behind.

Good luck with your job and commuting on your bike.:peaceful:

BrownNinjaz

Thanks! I am glad you bought a trek road. It's a good brand! 16 miles is a lot for an old Italian road bike. I agree with you, you do what you have to do. I don't have a license, so I am going to communicate to work. I hope this doesn't effect my interview. I don't know what to do say when they ask " Do you have transportation?" I do have transportation, my father said he will take me to work, but I've decided to go work with my road bicycle. So what should I tell them if they ask me that question? I might say " Yes, but for now I am going to communicate to work. My parents said he will take me to work in bad weather."

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Thanks! I am glad you bought a trek road. It's a good brand! 16 miles is a lot for an old Italian road bike. I agree with you, you do what you have to do. I don't have a license, so I am going to communicate to work. I hope this doesn't effect my interview. I don't know what to do say when they ask " Do you have transportation?" I do have transportation, my father said he will take me to work, but I've decided to go work with my road bicycle. So what should I tell them if they ask me that question? I might say " Yes, but for now I am going to communicate to work. My parents said he will take me to work in bad weather."

You are too honest I think. Answer the questions with as little detail and few words as possible. Let them ASK for more info :)

"I have transportation"

BrownNinjaz

Lol, OK thanks. I will just say " I have transportation" ^^
By the way, do you have msn? or something to chat? I have more question to ask you. :) YOu seem to know a lot.