Road Runners.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Wow, congrats on a fine time there Steve. My father is an avid runner and he has run the Boston Marathon a few times, most recently 2007. I think he ran a 3:50 in that one, which is pretty damn good for 60 years old on that particular race. I don't know how you guys do it. That is some serious milage. Again great job.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
WOW!

Wow, congrats on a fine time there Steve. My father is an avid runner and he has run the Boston Marathon a few times, most recently 2007. I think he ran a 3:50 in that one, which is pretty damn good for 60 years old on that particular race. I don't know how you guys do it. That is some serious milage. Again great job.
Thanks Sleeve!

Great job, Steve. Congratulations !!!
Thanks More!

That's awesome Steve, great job!
But a real man would have gone to work today and demanded a split...
Thanks Jones!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
You ran a marathon and worked the same day?!

And there was a blizzard that day!
I've always tried to get Monday off after a long race, but I've worked a few of them. Working on the same day is one for the books, I've never even thought about doing that. Was that Boston? Off the top of my head that's the only marathon I know that's on a workday. You're a wildman :happy2:

whiskey

And there was a blizzard that day!
I've always tried to get Monday off after a long race, but I've worked a few of them. Working on the same day is one for the books, I've never even thought about doing that. Was that Boston? Off the top of my head that's the only marathon I know that's on a workday. You're a wildman :happy2:
Some marathons you hit a "wall", where your legs become as fluid as cement. Steve had a nice finish, ran within himself, and should be none the worse, having a speedy recovery. However, Steve should take note that Boston is a down hill course. You start in Hopkinton, 750 feet above sea level and run to sea level. Bill Rodgers excelled on this course because his foot strike and leg bone design is perfect for downhill. He killed that course.
Working the same day as the race was no biggie. Like I mentioned to Steve, all marathoners are aware that the second day after the race is the most painful with regards to muscle.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Some marathons you hit a "wall", where your legs become as fluid as cement. Steve had a nice finish, ran within himself, and should be none the worse, having a speedy recovery. However, Steve should take note that Boston is a down hill course. You start in Hopkinton, 750 feet above sea level and run to sea level. Bill Rodgers excelled on this course because his foot strike and leg bone design is perfect for downhill. He killed that course.
Working the same day as the race was no biggie. Like I mentioned to Steve, all marathoners are aware that the second day after the race is the most painful with regards to muscle.
I've heard about the downhill portion, just today. We'll see how I do on April 18th, 2011. You ain't kidding there, mister. My legs were smoked. I had to get into a tub full of hot water and use a roller to painfully roll out the lactic acid that had built up. That made me feel way better, as did stretching and forcing myself to work, which loosened me up some more. I'm good to go now, so I'll probably run 8-10 this weekend at recovery pace........or better. Here's some pictures of me finishing. I'm still excited about this race.
60396-757-031f.jpg
miamifinish.jpg
60396-1714-002f.jpg

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I ran again the Saturday after my marathon. I ran 8 miles at a 7:19 pace and then I biked 42 miles at a 19.5mph avg. This felt really good and my legs felt strong. I ran again on Monday the 8th, again 8 miles at a 7:14 pace, so I'm recovered.

Today I ran a 5k race with my 6 year old daughter. It was the first time she ran alone, and she did awesome. She ran her 5k in 35:05, PR'ing by 4 mins 20 secs. I finished in 18:53, (finally breaking into the 18's). This is my new PR, down from 19:14. Here's a picture of my daughter and me with our trophies from the race. For the english major's out there, I didn't know if I should put trophy's, trophi or trophies.:happy2:

attachment.php

100_2192.jpg

Last edited:

brownsteel

luvthastillers
That's good stuff right there. As a little girl, my dad shared some of his running enthusiasm with me and my brother and sister. Something that at nearly 40 years old, I haven't yet, and won't forget. Hopefully you and your daughter will get to share and enjoy more of those times like my father and I have gotten to enjoy:happy2:

whiskey

Now that your becoming more competitive Steve, you might want to know who you are competing against. Most runners compete in the same races year after year. So to research your age group, simply check out the results of last years race. You can do that on coolrunning.com. More than likely, your age group will produce the same talent in an upcoming event. So, find out who the guy closest to your time is and Google his results. You can pretty much determine what shape he will come into the race in. For example. Type in "Steve Stug"site:coolrunning.com.. And every race that Steve Stug has ever run will pop up. No more guessing who you have to beat.
Just a trick that works for me. I know it sounds a bit over the top, but it acutally will enhance your training.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Now that your becoming more competitive Steve, you might want to know who you are competing against. Most runners compete in the same races year after year. So to research your age group, simply check out the results of last years race. You can do that on coolrunning.com. More than likely, your age group will produce the same talent in an upcoming event. So, find out who the guy closest to your time is and Google his results. You can pretty much determine what shape he will come into the race in. For example. Type in "Steve Stug"site:coolrunning.com.. And every race that Steve Stug has ever run will pop up. No more guessing who you have to beat.
Just a trick that works for me. I know it sounds a bit over the top, but it acutally will enhance your training.
Thanks for the heads up, Whiskey!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Since my last post, I have run the 2nd marathon, finishing 3:43.37 (avg 8.31 pace). I didn't "race" persay, but ran this race to help a friend BQ (qualify for the Boston Marathon). She fell apart at mile 12 and told me to just keep going, so I ran the rest of the race as though I was still trying to qualify her. It was the best training run ever. 2 weeks later I PR'd (Personal Record) at a 5k 18.53, and 1 month later I PR'd again at another 5k 18.43.

I ran my 3rd ever 1/2 marathon (13.1 miles) today and finished in 1:27.34 which is also a PR from my prior 1/2 in October at 1:32.49. I feel so good about running, and about being injury free.

sano

Very impressive Steve.
I think it’s interesting. One of the drivers I used to load for was griping about a employee discount we have to a local gym. He said “What a joke. Like anybody that drives a UPS truck has any energy left to work out. They work us so hard that all we can do with our time off is rest and heal.” He said this while eating his daily doughnut. I would say he was in the 250lb range.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
The runners are lining up now, last year I bailed out of work so my wife and I could watch it live but I'm going to work today so I'll have to rely on her for updates. If Ryan Hall ends up winning (fingers crossed) I'll be kicking myself for not staying home to see it.

I'm on vacation this week. I have my computer set up to track all of my buddies and I'm rooting for Ryan as well.

whiskey

Coached the Kenyans a bit the other day, not that they needed my help. Any time we have a course record up here, it's a special day.
Got a big smile from Rick Hoyt's son when I yelled to him to tell his Dad to run a negative split.
Cool temperature with a strong tail wind at times, but also swirling.