"Running Over"

upsdude

In my neck of the woods………..

Delivery Sup scans random cars in the morning, packages that are actually on a particular car. The Sup may scan 50 on one car and a couple hundred on another. Those scans generate a report to make sure the driver scanned the scanned packages. Another method of auditing will have a Sup intentionally remove a package from the car in “Bay 20” and place it in the load on the car in “Bay 21”. This audit is to see if the driver calls in a “wrong car” or just brings it back and throws it on the belt.

Packages that are in your EDD but not on the car are reported at the end of day. We are provided a sheet to record them on. We haven’t called in or used ODS for “not founds” for several months.

The Delivery Sup also told us he appreciated drivers that called each other to handle “wrong cars”, but he still needed them reported to the center. He said he couldn’t hold the preload accountable if the problem goes unreported.

W

westsideworma

In my neck of the woods………..

Delivery Sup scans random cars in the morning, packages that are actually on a particular car. The Sup may scan 50 on one car and a couple hundred on another. Those scans generate a report to make sure the driver scanned the scanned packages. Another method of auditing will have a Sup intentionally remove a package from the car in “Bay 20” and place it in the load on the car in “Bay 21”. This audit is to see if the driver calls in a “wrong car” or just brings it back and throws it on the belt.

Packages that are in your EDD but not on the car are reported at the end of day. We are provided a sheet to record them on. We haven’t called in or used ODS for “not founds” for several months.

The Delivery Sup also told us he appreciated drivers that called each other to handle “wrong cars”, but he still needed them reported to the center. He said he couldn’t hold the preload accountable if the problem goes unreported.

Um if the supe moved a package to the wrong car does he inform the preload? Because if not thats inexcusable and he should be fired. That is sabotage. It counts against the loader of those trucks (who also have their jobs threatened) and that isn't fair to them. I mean we are salted as supervisors but its a "dead" package. They do this to make sure we're auditing...or doing a post trip or whatever.

BURMDPsupe

...Another method of auditing will have a Sup intentionally remove a package from the car in “Bay 20” and place it in the load on the car in “Bay 21”. This audit is to see if the driver calls in a “wrong car” or just brings it back and throws it on the belt...

Totally unacceptable! Why on earth would a management person want to intentionally misload a package and then create a service failure? I sure hope the supervisor is using a "dummy" package for auditing purposes; if not, he/she is the real "dummy."

I understand the plan, but the execution is all wrong.

M-

10togo

We have not had a sup. say a word about running over in about five years, even when some of the better drivers would as much as four hours over. Then all of a sudden this week they went nuggin futs about it. Are we going back to the 70's and 80's when that was the only thing mattered. Has this happened at any other centers?

This is what happens when you get a "Finance Guy" running the company. Hold on.....it's only going to get worse.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
The problem with all this is that they have the preloaders loading 4 cars a day now. When I was a PT sup, It was hard enough for these guys to load 3, now with PAS and EDD they can load 4. Not Good.

Also a problem I see, When the preloader is loading 4 cars, if the route numbers on these cars are similar then misloads occur

In my center, you have 78C 78D 78E 78F loaded next to each other, because it is easier to move split work between them all

I agree that the customers should be getting updated info by us scanning their packages, but by running preload "cheaply", bigger mistakes happen when your paying us $40 plus to clean mistakes

upswrench

Please tell me this is true.
I would love to be able to have a ten hour conversation bouncing down back country roads with a DM.
It ain't going to happen.
They can just track me by GPS and try and figure it out.
PAX

hey satellitedriver,

you are talking about GPS. I had a driver ask me yesterday if the new contract would give UPS the ability to disipline driver using GPS. He thought the old contract did not allow this but was not sure if the new contract would let them. Managment said they use it to help set up routes ect. but should the drivers be ready for warning letter and such based on just GPS information ????

paidslave

Totally unacceptable! Why on earth would a management person want to intentionally misload a package and then create a service failure? I sure hope the supervisor is using a "dummy" package for auditing purposes; if not, he/she is the real "dummy."

I understand the plan, but the execution is all wrong.

M-

I would have to agree that this is making additional problems. Now they are going to have even more unhappy customers waiting longer for there packages. This practice is unfair to the customer waiting for there packages! I had one that I found in the morning and put it back on the dock and I was still pulled into the office! How many of the saulted packages do customers get free shipping on? The execution is used for trailers is when a loader finds it can go to the right truck inside the facility........Think about it, we have 100 plus routes and if everyone is saulted everyday this would be 2500 packages a year for service failures! Multiply that by the rest of the buildings and we have lOTS OF UNHAPPY CUSTOMERS!

paidslave

hey satellitedriver,

you are talking about GPS. I had a driver ask me yesterday if the new contract would give UPS the ability to disipline driver using GPS. He thought the old contract did not allow this but was not sure if the new contract would let them. Managment said they use it to help set up routes ect. but should the drivers be ready for warning letter and such based on just GPS information ????

Supposedly they are not suppose to use any Technology for discipline purposes. If they do then we better have our own backup gps system if this one is flawed!

So far we have not had to call in or record in the even the packages that were not on the car. The EDD has the "not found" feature, that produces a report the next morning. If I have a package that is not in my EDD (off area misload), there are two methods I use. 1) if it is a business, I call it in to see what my instructions are for that package. 2) if it is a residential that I can reasonably deliver I just deliver and record as an off area misload from the soft key menu. If delivery is out of the question (the stop is 25 miles way in another town the wrong direction), I call it in to see what my instructions are. Depending on all the factors, sometimes they come get the package, sometimes it's recorded as a missed. The OMS is supposed to keep a log on all missed, all missed have to be called in.

paidslave

I still don't understand fully why we even have to call in missed package. There should be a way that they know that you have a missed package because of GPS!

Maybe the loaders should have a gps chip installed so they know who put it there!

Probably in the near future we will have be required to have surgically implanted chips on our forehead so we know exactly where the GPS is at all times!

They complain if you don't attempt a missed package, they complain if you don't call it in....If you attempt it and put NSN because you can't find it they complain!

I say we go to the old days where we load for 4 hours and drive for 4 hours this way we load our own truck and nobody will be sticking stupid saults in our loads!

BigBrownSanta

I still don't understand fully why we even have to call in missed package. There should be a way that they know that you have a missed package because of GPS!
I send a message for every misload then promptly sheet it as missed (package visibility). I let them make the decisions. If I don't hear back before the end of day, I leave the misload in the office before I go home.

I also send a message for every "not found" package and another message if I find it later to tell them where I found it. For example, PAL #2115 found in section 7. Business is closed, I will be sheeting as missed.

Probably in the near future we will have be required to have surgically implanted chips on our forehead so we know exactly where the GPS is at all times!
No need, the technology (RFID tags) can be sewn into your uniform without your knowledge.

currahee

hey satellitedriver,

It is to my understanding that under the new contract that they cant discipline you with gps info first offense.After that they can take disciplinary action.Am i correct?Not sure.

satellitedriver

hey satellitedriver,

Not as far as I know. Warning talk, maybe.
My route covers about 600 square miles of back country roads. The last three hours are done without my Diad , so tracking me after 6pm is not an option. I wish they could. If anything happened(accident ,injury or heart attack) they would have no idea where I am. My cell phone won't work in about 40% of my area.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The new contract states that no discipline can be given for an offense which the company discovers through GPS, except if the offense is of a fraudulent nature. All bets are off after the first offense. Big Brother is watching!!

browniehound

We have not had a sup. say a word about running over in about five years, even when some of the better drivers would as much as four hours over. Then all of a sudden this week they went nuggin futs about it. Are we going back to the 70's and 80's when that was the only thing mattered. Has this happened at any other centers?

If some of the better drivers are 4 hours paid over, how much over are the worst driver over allowed, 6 hours :laughing: ???

Seriously, if someone is 4 hours over something is wrong. The numbers are probably screwed up and the driver is also probably doing a lot of things wrong also. But my opinion is the driver can ignore the methods, shoot the breeze with every customer, go on scenic drives and still not be paid over by 4 hours. We're talking about half of a freaking day here!

So we are saying if the driver is dispacthed with 8 hours on paper he will be working 12? Or, you dispatch him and he punches out at 8.5 hours but you expected him to punch out at 1300 with an 830 start?

browniehound

It happened at ours yesterday. center manager had a PCM that all 2 hour + over drivers will be ridden by the division manager. The basic premise seemed to be that all hourlies are liars, cheats and theives.
It seems to be the good ole days all over again!

At 42.21 per hour of overtime multiplied by 2 would be 84.42 per day or 422.10 per week that the company claims you are "stealing" from them.
Sounds like the easiest way to rip someone off. Heck, there is no threat of going to jail, and it can be done week after week, year after year, and there is nothing the company can do about it.

My opinion is the company shouldn't complain. I say this because, in general, UPS has the best (and most efficent) workforce of drivers. If there is 80,000 drivers in the US and you fired them all and replaced them with the next best 80,000 workers, the production would drop off dramatically.

Its not OK us for to milk the clock labeling us theives, yet its OK for UPS to steal an hour per day from the significant percentage of drivers that skip their lunch without being paid for the hour.

UPS understands that its just human nature to just want to get home to your family. UPS preys on these people that can't sit there for 1 entire hour without doing anything, day after day, week after week, year after year. If they didn't anticipate this free labor they wouldn't implement the forced 1 hour lunch period. But the company is totally innocent.

The company lost a lawsuit recently for forcing driviers to work through their lunch period. So now, by law they can only dock you the amount of time you put in the DIAD. Yet we are still required to take (or just put in 1 hour) of lunch period per day unless we get approval from the center manager.

Why do you think this is? Its this way because despite the lawsuit, the center manager still wants the free labor factored into his numbers that he was enjoying for so long prior to this year.

If this wasn't the case, why wouldn't he just let us take what we need and dock us for that? Why is it so important for him to make sure that we take 1 full hour of lunch?

I'll tell you why. He know a signifigant % of his drivers won't take the hour yet will record that he did take the hour just so he can get out an hour earlier to see his kids T-ball game, thus resulting an hour of free labor.

Sounds like a good racket to me:angry:

DS

Fenderbender
We are not on PAS here.I honestly feel that I,m being as efficient as anyone possibly could by combining methods with area knowledge,yet although once in awhile I do run scratch,it is virtually impossible on a daily basis.I usually run about a buck over,but there is days when I almost double that.I find its wise to take 10 minutes after my 10:30 commits,and after getting rid of the bulk stops,and do some spelunking back there and arrange it so I can combine my air and ground and still get lunch.I do believe however,that 4 hours over is ridiculously high.