Russia Claims Ukraine Standoff Is Over

Thebrownblob

Right…👍🏿
1708791815117.png

1708791864222.gif

rod

Retired 22 years
Even if Russia captures Kyiv and kills Zelensky the Ukrainians will dog the Russians as an insurgency in perpetuity. It will be Russia’s biggest nightmare to try to hold peacefully.
As long as Putin is alive that war will continue. I don't picture him ever giving up. He couldn't care less about his troops. They are expendable.

Next Day Err

As long as Putin is alive that war will continue. I don't picture him ever giving up. He couldn't care less about his troops. They are expendable.
The only possible way I see Putin giving up his conquest is if he experiences a serious level of domestic pressure. On some level even dictators listen to their plebs.

Box Ox

The only possible way I see Putin giving up his conquest is if he experiences a serious level of domestic pressure. On some level even dictators listen to their plebs.

There's no sign that level of domestic pressure on Putin will be materializing anytime soon. Ukraine has better-trained troops, better equipment and better military strategy than Russia does. But it also likely has more to lose than Russia if the war continues. Because the Russian dictator doesn't care about getting his people killed grinding it out and the Russian people seem to largely be OK with that.

From the UK Ministry of Defense today:

vantexan

There's no sign that level of domestic pressure on Putin will be materializing anytime soon. Ukraine has better-trained troops, better equipment and better military strategy than Russia does. But it also likely has more to lose than Russia if the war continues. Because the Russian dictator doesn't care about getting his people killed grinding it out and the Russian people seem to largely be OK with that.

It's why hundreds of thousands of fighting age Russians have fled the country. Russia has some of the worst demographics in the world. The last thing they needed was to get a lot of young men killed or not have all those young men still alive not making babies. Putin has to know this.

fishtm2001

speaking of Russia:

"Republicans quietly deleted a reference to the document from a request to interview a witness in their impeachment inquiry.

And by Friday, under the section of the impeachment inquiry website called “Key Evidence,” the 1023 form had been removed."

Babagounj

Strength through joy

Don't forget that Ukraine has rebuilt and repurposed many of the Russian equipment they captured.