Safety Concern : I saw a

Cementups

Box Monkey
Not sure if true or not, but i heard that the grandaddy long leg has a venom that could kill you. Course they dont bite.

Daddy long leggers are poisonous to humans but you would have to get bit by a couple hundred in order for one to take you down. But mainly, they can't bite you because their fangs aren't long enough to short to bite humans.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Not when you are driving on the freeway and you see it hanging. Plus dog bites is not as fatal as a spider bite

Ok I'll play. What actions do u feel ups needs to take to ensure your safety?

I have been here long enough to know that what ever concern I might have doesn't really matter. The fact of the matter is ups will not act unless something bad happens.

You can start from heat in the truck, overweights, hours work etc etc..... I do understand that it is up to me to do my best to be safe out there.

That being said, as I mentioned, the response I got is the one that gets me to shake my head but also I should be not surprised right?

OK I'll play too. How about instead of laughing and asking me if I have a phobia with spiders how about a little 'we will look into it' ... At least that response (even though it's a lie) will make me think that they are actually concerned about my safety. Am I wrong?

You can't tell me to be safe out there but continue to pound me with long hours and expect my body to just take it like it's nothing. A baseball player gets injured swinging the ball, and I am sure they are following methods of swinging

Anyway. Lunch done have a great day all

So your saying your like integrity. All problems no solutions.

Why in the world would u want someone to ACT like they care when they don't.

I think most of us are offended that they act like they care when we know they don't.

Brownslave688

I have been here long enough to know that what ever concern I might have doesn't really matter. The fact of the matter is ups will not act unless something bad happens.

You can start from heat in the truck, overweights, hours work etc etc..... I do understand that it is up to me to do my best to be safe out there.

That being said, as I mentioned, the response I got is the one that gets me to shake my head but also I should be not surprised right?

OK I'll play too. How about instead of laughing and asking me if I have a phobia with spiders how about a little 'we will look into it' ... At least that response (even though it's a lie) will make me think that they are actually concerned about my safety. Am I wrong?

You can't tell me to be safe out there but continue to pound me with long hours and expect my body to just take it like it's nothing. A baseball player gets injured swinging the ball, and I am sure they are following methods of swinging

Totally understand....throw me in a pit of snakes, don't care Spiders just freeze me in fear. I would tell you why but its a childhood issue I have long dealt with....Ok Ill tell you. My bothers used to lock me in the cubby hole. It was just a drywall door, and it was closing the entrance to the attic. But I was little, they were mean, and to this day, honestly, I could not watch arachnofobia, I cant look at the spiders on this thread, and I got your back.
I am not scared of much. And I barely speak to the one brother who did it to me. Hes just mean, the other is dead.
We burn wood. I wont tell you how many nights sleep I lose when one of those logs comes in and a spider wakes up. Omg I wont sleep tonight.

If your scared if spiders that's one thing. That's what the people the OP told his issue to asked him. He was offended they asked him if he had arachnophobia.

Other than arachnophobia there's no reason the OP or anyone else for that matter couldn't remove the "safety issue".

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
If your scared if spiders that's one thing. That's what the people the OP told his issue to asked him. He was offended they asked him if he had arachnophobia.

Other than arachnophobia there's no reason the OP or anyone else for that matter couldn't remove the "safety issue".
I would have lost the spider, when a good looking man pulled over and asked what the problem was with my truck.....................or a bad looking one, or anyone................

SmithBarney

Not sure if true or not, but i heard that the grandaddy long leg has a venom that could kill you. Course they dont bite.

It is true, Daddy longleggers, have a venom that is multiple times worse than a black widow, but they don't bite humans(or can't) They are a good spider to have around, they kill others..

stink219

There is an urban legend stating that daddy long-legs spiders have the most potent venom of any spider, but that their chelicerae (fangs) are either too small or too weak to puncture human skin; the same legend is also repeated of the harvestman and crane fly, also called "daddy long-legs" in some locales. Indeed, pholcid spiders do have a short fang structure (called uncate). However, brown recluse spiders also have uncate fang structure, but are able to deliver medically significant bites. Either pholcid venom is not toxic to humans or there is a musculature difference between the two arachnids, with recluses, being hunting spiders, possessing stronger muscles for fang penetration.[5]
The urban legend ostensibly stems from the fact that the daddy long-legs spider is known to prey upon deadly venomous spiders, such as the redback, a member of the black widow genus Latrodectus.[9] By extrapolation, it was thought that if the daddy long-legs spider could regularly kill a spider capable of delivering fatal bites to humans, then it must be more venomous, and the uncate fangs were accused of prohibiting it from killing people.[10] In reality, it is merely quicker than redback.

Brownslave688

Im not offended, Im mortified, good night:surprised:

I understand. My mom can't look at a picture of a snake. She passed the fear on to me. Not to that point I can watch them fine. Even look at them in aquariums and stuff. In the wild though they send chills down me.

I do understand a true phobia though.

quamba 638

Spiders, my butt! I stopped in front of a farm house along a dirt road, hopped out (yes, I was young then) with the package, and on the way back to the truck, I saw a copperhead coiled next to the door. Got in the driver's side that time.
Daaaaaaamn. That could've ended up being a really bad day.
image.jpg
image.jpg

quamba 638

Spiders, my butt! I stopped in front of a farm house along a dirt road, hopped out (yes, I was young then) with the package, and on the way back to the truck, I saw a copperhead coiled next to the door. Got in the driver's side that time.
Daaaaaaamn. That could've ended up being a really bad day.

I woke up to my tent covered with huge spiders last week, I can't stand them.
Snakes aren't my favorite either.

BrownArmy

I don't mind snakes or spiders...

(don't kill spiders in your house, they consume other annoying pests, and mostly just don't want you to look at them)...

It's centipedes I can't stand.

I always thought these were 'silverfish', but they're 'house centipedes'.

I usually see them in the basement, but a few weeks ago, one was in the shower stall right after I turned the water on.

We were both upset.

quamba 638

I don't mind snakes or spiders...

(don't kill spiders in your house, they consume other annoying pests, and mostly just don't want you to look at them)...

It's centipedes I can't stand.

I always thought these were 'silverfish', but they're 'house centipedes'.

I usually see them in the basement, but a few weeks ago, one was in the shower stall right after I turned the water on.

We were both upset.

That's gross. I had/ have the same problem in my basement. Just bought the house last year, and it was vacant for over two years... So there were a lot of insects inside.

I found these work awesome.
image.jpg
image.jpg

BrownArmy

I actually don't care if they live in my house (everybody has to live somewhere), I just dislike seeing them.

Especially not in the shower - I'm not a morning person to begin with. :wink2:

balland chain

Safety is a big joke at UPS..