Saturday Air/optional holidays

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by 688girl, May 20, 2015.

1. 688girl

688girl Guest

Hello, I'm brand new here. I've been a preloader for almost 6 years and I am now an air driver as well. I was told that if you have an optional holiday on a Friday, you are guaranteed Saturday off. Anybody ever heard this? I'm off Friday and being forced to work Saturday.

2. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

What does one have to do with the other. Read Art 40 in the master. UPS can force PT air drivers to work any day that they are needed. In my building we mostly are not forced to work every Saturday out of fear we all will quit.

3. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Someone lied to you. An optional day on Friday has nothing to do with being forced to work on Saturday.

4. 688girl

688girl Guest

Thanks, I've recently discovered that haha.

5. UpstateNYUPSer

Yeah, I saw that. Unfortunately they frown upon me posting while driving.

6. By The Book

By The Book Well-Known Member

If you worked this week, they can work you Saturday. You requested/scheduled the option day on a Friday right? If you wanted a four day weekend you needed to give notice in advance, like 2 weeks prior could of helped.

7. 688girl

688girl Guest

Ha! Be careful. Safety first!

8. UpstateNYUPSer

But....but....but.....someone told her she would be guaranteed to have Saturday off.....

9. 688girl

688girl Guest

Yeah, I didn't know anything about the whole get saturday off until a few days ago. Unfortunately, it appears to be incorrect info.

10. 688girl

688girl Guest

someone doesn't know what they're talking about. Apparently at my center, those "rules" work for some people but not all of us :censored3:

11. By The Book

By The Book Well-Known Member

Study up buttercup!

12. 688girl

688girl Guest

For real!

13. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Although i would advise against it. You could alway call in.

14. 688girl

688girl Guest

Slaves. Must. Work.

15. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

Use the optional day for Saturday and head out Friday night. You're welcome.

16. 688girl

688girl Guest

I talked to my Union guy today and found this out. Thanks! I had no idea we could take optional days on Saturday ha.

17. Sleeve_meet_Heart

Sleeve_meet_Heart making the unreadable unreadabler

If an air-driver works a UPS holiday, they do not have to work the next business day. That's how it works locally, anyway. This does not apply to PERSONAL optional holidays, though.

When I was an air driver, I always took advantage of having a day off, even if we had to work when everyone else didn't.

18. Dr.Brownz

Dr.Brownz Well-Known Member

If they tell me I'm going to be forced to work Saturday I tell them I'll be taking lunch at noon so make sure my dispatch allows me to do so and make all commit times. Suddenly they can make due with out me. Haven't had to do that for 2 years now but still, it's a good card to have in the deck.

FYI: our saturday air commit is 2pm

19. UpstateNYUPSer

Saturday is hours worked---no lunch.

20. Dr.Brownz

Dr.Brownz Well-Known Member

Where does it say that in the contract?

Our steward says 8 hour guarantee on a forced, and my paycheck reflects that.