Seasonal Driving, is it worth it?

T

tinlizzy

Timing is everything for an off the street hire. I worked as a helper 1st peak and made sure I learned the DIAD, then as a driver 2nd peak. 4am to the airport, drove 13 hrs., then ran for another driver til 8pm. Hardest 17 days of my life and for $11.24/hr. When asked about a 3rd peak I said no way you either hire me FT or this was it....I got 3 letters of recommendation from sups at 2 different centers and beat out a PT sup for the off the street hire. That was 9 years ago. UPS preaches the big picture....doesn't matter what the pay is now, the payoff is getting the FT job. Lastly, you should park that AARP attitude at the door. Most drivers are older than 37.

W

wornoutupser

I see that a lot of people here started unloading feeders. In my building, drivers STILL unload feeders and I have 19 years in.
They call down the senority list every morning because no one here wants to get up at 3:00 A.M. and work their tails off for $8.50 an hour. The people that are hired are given warning letters for being 2 or 3 clicks late punching in by supervisors that are an hour late themselves.
Any similar experiences out there?

R

richard

Hello! I just had my orientation/paperwork freebie morning here in DFW and am looking forward to six weeks to prove I can kick butt and see if there are any opportunities for me here. If there aren't, no sweat. If there are, great. I am just an unemployed airline pilot looking for a place to make a living for my family. JMHO... I have noticed the crabbier people on this site have the harder time with their careers. Just a coincidence???

D

dannyboy

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. What have you got to lose?

Richard

No it is not a coincidence. People all the time dirty the place they work in and then complain about the stink. I have been treated about as bad as a person can be. Get over it. So one likes to be around a person complaining all the time. IF you feel like you are in a sewer, climb the heck out. Change your attitude, and the world changes around you.

d

(Message edited by dannyboy on November 07, 2003)