Seasonal to full-time

Dnking

FireFalcon
Has anyone (inside part-time employees), ever completed a seasonal driving job, such as to cover vacations in the summer (May - Sep), or peak season (Oct- Dec 31) and been kept on by the company? Or in other words has anyone been able to get in full-time from doing Seasonal driving?

ryan74701

That is my plan at this hub in north dakota, was hired full time off the street along with a few other people was called and told i would be switched to seasonal and made full time by January 1st since the volume is crazy and 3 drivers have quit where im going.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Has anyone (inside part-time employees), ever completed a seasonal driving job, such as to cover vacations in the summer (May - Sep), or peak season (Oct- Dec 31) and been kept on by the company? Or in other words has anyone been able to get in full-time from doing Seasonal driving?
I know of one PT'er who drove peak, seasonal and vacation cover for three years and recieved the 6:1? outside hire spot last year, in 2010. He started in 2007.

He is a gunner who skips lunches and didn't/probably still does not play by the rules, just how UPS likes 'em.

Dnking

FireFalcon
Thanks for the responses. I did vacation coverage for the summer. We have a total of three drivers off. One had a dui and is in rehab. The other two are having surgeries, one for knee, and the other for back surgery. So there a little tight for drivers in my center.

They havent posted any full-time jobs, only seasonal. Im debatin wether or not I should sign a bid posted in our center for peak season driver. Thinkin I should, cause im hopin it will eventually get me full-time somehow...

brown_trousers

Thats BS if they can hire seasonal drivers as permanent FT drivers. There's a whole lot of us who have been been waiting in the part-time ranks for almost a decade for a FT driving job. Its not right to let someone skip the seniority line.

Unless its the 6:1 hire though, then its OK.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
in williston we dont have package handlers so almost all drivers are hired off the street

That's still not right ...especially if there are nearby buildings that have part timers who want to go driving..they should be able to to take those jobs before an off the street hire every single time..only exception would be a pt sup on the 6:1 ratio or if no pt inside employees wanted to drive.

barnyard

KTM rider
That is my plan at this hub in north dakota, was hired full time off the street along with a few other people was called and told i would be switched to seasonal and made full time by January 1st since the volume is crazy and 3 drivers have quit where im going.

Out in the Bakken, eh.

We had letters hung in our center that PT could go out to the Bakken and go FT. Drivers and supes are quitting to work the oil patch.

barnyard

KTM rider
That's still not right ...especially if there are nearby buildings that have part timers who want to go driving..they should be able to to take those jobs before an off the street hire every single time..only exception would be a pt sup on the 6:1 ratio or if no pt inside employees wanted to drive.

Unless it is western ND and eastern Mt. Notices were hung in my building 400+ miles away that PT could move to ND or MT and get a FT gig. The problem is there is no place to live. Everything is filled with oil field workers. Then of course there is the whole, "ugh, I have to move to middle of freaking nowhere ND for a FT job?!?!?!?!" No thank you.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Unless it is western ND and eastern Mt. Notices were hung in my building 400+ miles away that PT could move to ND or MT and get a FT gig. The problem is there is no place to live. Everything is filled with oil field workers. Then of course there is the whole, "ugh, I have to move to middle of freaking nowhere ND for a FT job?!?!?!?!" No thank you.

I did see something on the national news about north and south Dakota having really low unemployment rates and actually the high tech industry is moving to these states.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
The oil and natural.gas was the main reason but other companies are moving there also including data centers and other tech types of.people and jobs....

Dnking

FireFalcon
This is true. They cant hire a seasonal driver into a full-time position without bidding the job to part-timers first. Unless its the 6:1 outside hire...

barnyard

KTM rider
The oil and natural.gas was the main reason but other companies are moving there also including data centers and other tech types of.people and jobs....

No, not really. Other companies are moving away. Why??? Losing too many employees to the oil patch. Who really wants to move to western ND, pay $150,000 for a used mobile home for a $15.00/hr or less data center job.

Not gonna happen.