Seniority criteria

nj2015

Is seniority based solely on start date @ UPS, or is it something else, like when you make book?

I think my PT sup has been asking guys if they want to go home early who are lower in seniority than I am.

I'm positive that one of the guys started a month after me, and another started 2 months after me.

Thanks.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Is seniority based solely on start date @ UPS, or is it something else, like when you make book?

I think my PT sup has been asking guys if they want to go home early who are lower in seniority than I am.

I'm positive that one of the guys started a month after me, and another started 2 months after me.

Thanks.
Seniority gives you a right to work, not the right to not work.

Turdferguson

Just a turd

Thanks.
It's when you make book, but seniority doesn't mean you get to go home earlier

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

Depends on the language in the various supplements.

"Voluntary time off shall be offered in seniority order," is the language in the Atlantic Area.

That being said, I work with more part timers than I care to admit who will end up "retiring" with half of the pension credit they think they have because they take voluntary layoffs 2-3+ times/week.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

Thanks.

It varies. In our area, if you work 30 days in 90 days (not during peak season) then you've made seniority and your seniority date is set as your first actual working day.

barnyard

KTM rider
It varies. In our area, if you work 30 days in 90 days (not during peak season) then you've made seniority and your seniority date is set as your first actual working day.

I am in Central and my seniority date is the day I made seniority. I started in June, which is a free period, so my seniority date is the September 7 (the 1st working day after the free period.)

nj2015

Like so many management folks, you are so quick to open your mouth yet so slow to actually learn about which you are speaking. Your comment wasn't helpful, educated, nor was it appreciated in tone. Then again, I shouldn't expect anything less from management.

nj2015

Seniority means many things here. I would stay if you don't have anywhere to be after shift.
I work 2 jobs 5 days a week. Preload at UPS, then a full-time office job 9:30-5:30. My supervisors at UPS have known from the start that I have another job, and some (including my PT sup on the sort aisle) actually have done a great job in working with me on getting out at a reasonable time every day. I used to load package cars, but moved to the sort aisle b/c loading always kept me there until 9 or later. So yes, I do have somewhere else to be every day.

That's why FrigidFTSup's comment was so moronic. He must assumed I'm some college kid in my early 20s who just wants to get out of working. I just want to be able to see my children before they leave for school each day, and sometimes, getting out 10 minutes earlier will allow me to do that... before I then have to turn right around and go to my second, full-time job. I'm doing UPS for the healthcare/benefits.

Conan04

Depends on the language in the various supplements.

"Voluntary time off shall be offered in seniority order," is the language in the Atlantic Area.

That being said, I work with more part timers than I care to admit who will end up "retiring" with half of the pension credit they think they have because they take voluntary layoffs 2-3+ times/week.

How many hours for you part time guys in the Atlantic to get a year's pension credit?

km3

I am in Central and my seniority date is the day I made seniority. I started in June, which is a free period, so my seniority date is the September 7 (the 1st working day after the free period.)

It's interesting how much things can vary from location to location, even under the same supplement. Where I am, the seniority date is the date you're hired. And I am not aware of any "free periods." I know at least two people that actually made their 34 days in the middle of December. Granted, I'm talking about the PT night shift, not driving...

oldngray

nowhere special
My full time seniority date was the first day I worked in September (because I went driving during the summer free period) but my part time seniority was in August because that wasn't a free period when I started.