Serving a Former Manager

Daalcaar

Just thought I would share this awkward experience with you guys. So today, I had to serve a subpoena on an individual. As I went to the person's house he was not home so I began having a conversation with whom I assume was his daughter. After about 10 minutes talking with the young lady the man pulled up to the driveway and I was shocked to see it was a manager that I had seen before in my hub lol. I was hesitating whether if I should serve him or not due to the possibility of backlash from my supervisors, but I doubt the guy even knew I worked at UPS hahaha. That was a very awkward experience, and not to mention his daughter was pretty damn cute.

Daalcaar

Well Daalcaar, did you get the cute daughter's phone number?
Haha. Unfortunately, no. I was having a good conversation too, telling her how I was going to buy my first home due to my online e-cigarettes business doing well. I think she was digging it, Hahahaha.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I still remember being served a subpoena by my ex's attorney when we were going through our divorce. I don't know if the guy was trying to embarrass me or was trying to make a point but he chose to serve the subpoena just as I was getting out of my personal vehicle when I showed up to work. I was pissed and let him know in no uncertain terms how I felt about being served at work. He just got back in to his car and drove away. My ex found out about it and apologized----I don't think she had any idea she they were going to serve a subpoena and how/where they were going to do it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Knock on my front door and serve me----no problem.

Make a statement by serving me in the parking lot at work in front of my co-workers----I have a big problem with that.

You're right in that in the end it makes no difference where you are served.

Daalcaar

I still remember being served a subpoena by my ex's attorney when we were going through our divorce. I don't know if the guy was trying to embarrass me or was trying to make a point but he chose to serve the subpoena just as I was getting out of my personal vehicle when I showed up to work. I was pissed and let him know in no uncertain terms how I felt about being served at work. He just got back in to his car and drove away. My ex found out about it and apologized----I don't think she had any idea she they were going to serve a subpoena and how/where they were going to do it.
Yeah, the embarrassment is understandable. I have served people in front of others as well, but not because I want to embarrass them, but because that is the only chance I get. There are people who are rarely home, and there are people who know they are getting sued. In this situation, our best bet is to serve them wherever we see them at. Whether it's at work, park, church, and etc. Another reason we do it is profit-based. Serving subpoenas is not like conducting surveillance for a worker's comp case where we get paid hourly. For subpoenas, we are paid a flat rate; therefore, we want to serve it ASAP so we can make more profit. But if the person did serve you to embarrass you or make a point then he was bing an a-hole. Haha