Should I leave fedex express for dhl?

Hello all, new member. Lurked on here for a while and finally signed up. Just looking for some advice from people who works in the same field I do.

Been a part time express courier for three years. I work at a big station, so i can pretty much get full time hours as much as i want. One thing about express that troubles me is the crappy raises... There are couriers there who been there 10+ years and only got a dollar raise, and no where near to topping out.

My local dhl was hiring part time for an "on call swing driver" and I applied just to try my luck. I got a call back for an interview next week. The recruiter said the pay was about 20 cents more than what fedex was already paying me, and they get raises every year after probation period, and top out takes about 4 years. I heard dhl was union, and i already know fedex is not, so would it be worth it switching over to yellow and red? Anyone had any exp. with dhl? Would appreciate the advice. Thanx

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Whaddaya have to lose?....not like you'd be walking away from the job of a lifetime, right? I mean if this is the sort of stuff you like to do.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
You sure you want to be on-call?

Nonetheless go to the interview. See if there's a guaranteed minimum hours, see if the top out really is 4 years etc.

Good luck and let us know what pans out.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Hello all, new member. Lurked on here for a while and finally signed up. Just looking for some advice from people who works in the same field I do.

Been a part time express courier for three years. I work at a big station, so i can pretty much get full time hours as much as i want. One thing about express that troubles me is the crappy raises... There are couriers there who been there 10+ years and only got a dollar raise, and no where near to topping out.

My local dhl was hiring part time for an "on call swing driver" and I applied just to try my luck. I got a call back for an interview next week. The recruiter said the pay was about 20 cents more than what fedex was already paying me, and they get raises every year after probation period, and top out takes about 4 years. I heard dhl was union, and i already know fedex is not, so would it be worth it switching over to yellow and red? Anyone had any exp. with dhl? Would appreciate the advice. Thanx

I would say both are a dead end. DHL basically bagged their domestic operations and is a purely International concern. I rarely even see their drivers any more, and I don't know if they still have a union. Before the meltdown, they were union.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Dhl is a dead end.
Yep. Pretty much.

DHL sucks.jpg