Should I leave fedex express for dhl?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Those have to be the worst uniforms since ICEE. Ours are pretty bad, but whoever thought up the DHL outfits was on acid.
Yeah, even Burger King uniforms beat DHL's by a mile.
DHL uniforms.jpg

Flaco50

Hello all, new member. Lurked on here for a while and finally signed up. Just looking for some advice from people who works in the same field I do.

Been a part time express courier for three years. I work at a big station, so i can pretty much get full time hours as much as i want. One thing about express that troubles me is the crappy raises... There are couriers there who been there 10+ years and only got a dollar raise, and no where near to topping out.

My local dhl was hiring part time for an "on call swing driver" and I applied just to try my luck. I got a call back for an interview next week. The recruiter said the pay was about 20 cents more than what fedex was already paying me, and they get raises every year after probation period, and top out takes about 4 years. I heard dhl was union, and i already know fedex is not, so would it be worth it switching over to yellow and red? Anyone had any exp. with dhl? Would appreciate the advice. Thanx

Isn't dhl supposed to call me back before hiring anyone new, having laid me off in '03.......(sour grapes still haven't recovered what I lost in hourly pay)

Update, made the switch to dhl. Been here for about 2 months. Higher pay, better (and free) benefits, less physical and stress workload as well. Cherry on top, 2 year top out vs fedexs 282828 year top out time.

Purplepackage

Update, made the switch to dhl. Been here for about 2 months. Higher pay, better (and free) benefits, less physical and stress workload as well. Cherry on top, 2 year top out vs fedexs 282828 year top out time.

Doesn't less work mean no job security?

I don't know being topped out is great and all but DHL just seems like the first company that would go under at least in the states

What is top out pay?
Their current contract with the teamsters is $27.

Doesn't less work mean no job security?

I don't know being topped out is great and all but DHL just seems like the first company that would go under at least in the states

Well dhl failed at first because they tried to compete with fedex and ups and deliver domestic packages. They only ship international now and they have the biggest market worldwide.

And i say lighter work load because the job here is more driving than delivering. You might get 40 stops max a day, but it takes all day because you cover a whole city on your route, instead of two zip codes like fedex, plus they rarely do priority packages (too expensive) but it they do its by noon

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
the best advice I have ever received???

"as you attorney I advise that you start drinking heavily."

always has worked for me before making a major decision.

WestcoastHD

Massive Stinkies
You definitely should. Spend your last week driver releasing everything at the mailbox and misdelivering everything. Job security for you at your new job.