Shouldered by a supervisor

jimstud

Banned
I'm really not trying to comment on what is right or wrong here. I'm making the point that I think what we see here is outside the normal employer / employee relationship.
it does not matter if he is the biggest pain in the ups butt , nobody i mean nobody has the right to put their hands on anybody. that is violence in the work place and it seems to me we have a zero tolorence policy at ups. that goes for management and teamsters alike.

tieguy

Banned
it does not matter if he is the biggest pain in the ups butt , nobody i mean nobody has the right to put their hands on anybody. that is violence in the work place and it seems to me we have a zero tolorence policy at ups. that goes for management and teamsters alike.

If the sup had put his hands on Red then Red would have a better case then what he has now. Reds going to have a hard time proving body contact was anything more then accidental.

over9five

Staff member
"Others in the area heard him and had turned around just in time to see him assault me."

The supervisor will have a hard time defending that.

I read the "zero tolerance" poster today. To me, this would seem to fall under intimidation more than assault (depending on how hard Red was shouldered, and what the witnesses say).
After reading the poster completely, you realize it is very vague. IE, punishments range from discipline to discharge.

The poster does clearly say you are responsible for reporting this, either to your manager, four people on the poster, or the UPS Help Line.

tieguy

Banned
"Others in the area heard him and had turned around just in time to see him assault me."

The supervisor will have a hard time defending that.

I read the "zero tolerance" poster today. To me, this would seem to fall under intimidation more than assault (depending on how hard Red was shouldered, and what the witnesses say).
After reading the poster completely, you realize it is very vague. IE, punishments range from discipline to discharge.

The poster does clearly say you are responsible for reporting this, either to your manager, four people on the poster, or the UPS Help Line.

You guys keep arguing like Red is still a ups employee. Red stopped being a ups employee a long time ago. The company views him as a hostile union member working in an employees position. If he raises hell about this I would not be surprised if they treated it like two employees having a fight and fired both red and the sup.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You guys keep arguing like Red is still a ups employee. Red stopped being a ups employee a long time ago. The company views him as a hostile union member working in an employees position. If he raises hell about this I would not be surprised if they treated it like two employees having a fight and fired both red and the sup.

If Red loses his job over this he would have excellent grounds for wrongful termination.

tieguy

Banned
If Red loses his job over this he would have excellent grounds for wrongful termination.

my opinion of course but I'm not sure they care how they get rid of him. there is a price to pay for spending every waking minute of your life plotting on how to screw the company you work for. in my opinion i think its possible the company has now decided to return fire.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
You sound like you're making excuses for this guy's actions. I'm sure I must just be reading you wrong :happy2:

tieguy

Banned
You sound like you're making excuses for this guy's actions. I'm sure I must just be reading you wrong :happy2:

its possible I made it sound that way. But I meant what I said earlier. I think we have a good old fahsioned pissing contest here that transcends normal employer / employee relationships.

I admire reds passion but I also think you can't be the bully of the playground and then complain when you get your but kicked.

if you're going to be the bully then you also have to expect to be bullied in return.

tieguy

Banned
How about if the company would do the right thing and follow the contract and quit screwing people then there wouldn't be a need for union stewards or a contract?

Reds relationship with the company passed that threshold a long time ago. His objectives are now much more then simply addressing common contract violations.

he has taken his relationship with the company far and above the normal every day shop steward. As such he can not go back and reclaim a normal day to day existence that you and I can still lay claim to.

jimstud

Banned
Reds relationship with the company passed that threshold a long time ago. His objectives are now much more then simply addressing common contract violations.

he has taken his relationship with the company far and above the normal every day shop steward. As such he can not go back and reclaim a normal day to day existence that you and I can still lay claim to.
none of that matters , if a supervisor touched him in any way shape or form not only is it against company policy it is against the law. you really need to lay off the brown kool aid.

tieguy

Banned
none of that matters , if a supervisor touched him in any way shape or form not only is it against company policy it is against the law. you really need to lay off the brown kool aid.

I don't know that it matters. red told us a story of a sup that sounds like he is trying to provoke red into a physical response. If so then you don't think that sup is going to admit it do you? the sup will either say that red stumbled into him or that he stumbled into red. Honest witnesses saw what? Those two bump into each other? Who is to say who bumped who first?

Good luck proving that case. jmho.

Re-Raise

my opinion of course but I'm not sure they care how they get rid of him. there is a price to pay for spending every waking minute of your life plotting on how to screw the company you work for. in my opinion i think its possible the company has now decided to return fire.

You make it sound like you believe this was some kind of elaborate plan by UPS management. Management are people with tempers and stress just like hourlies. I believe this manager lost his temper and his self control.

If I lost my temper during a verbal confrontation with a manager and slammed my shoulder into him I would expect to be fired. There are times I would have liked to do it but I am not a child.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
its possible I made it sound that way. But I meant what I said earlier. I think we have a good old fahsioned pissing contest here that transcends normal employer / employee relationships.

I admire reds passion but I also think you can't be the bully of the playground and then complain when you get your but kicked.

if you're going to be the bully then you also have to expect to be bullied in return.

I do not see it that way.

IF what 705 said was the truth (let's take it as gospel just for this argument, ok?)

And there are CLEAR lines drawn in the sand regarding ZERO TOLERANCE for workplace violence , SET BY THE EMPLOYER in CORPORATE GUIDELINES

Then how can you say that the supervisor played by the rules?

Yes, I am sure 705Red is a pain the :censored2: and other parts of the UPS machine, but IF what he said is true, then it without a doubt, trancends being a "pain in the :censored2:".

Simply put, UPS made the rules and violated them. I still do not see where Red violated any corporate guidelines in his quests (be it right or wrong)

Because as you know if he DID violate any of the cardinals or even less than that, the company would tie him to the stake and burn him in glory. Lord knows that 705Red must play by the rules, to still have a job. Yet the company must not play by the rules?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member

Let me play devils advocate. Maybe ya'all have read more into Red than I have..............I dont read most Labor posts. Since he is a steward, and is on the side of the employee he is simply a pain in the :censored2:? And are pizzin contests really allowed when we are speaking of peoples livelihood?
it was my understanding that grievances and panels are tools to bring problems to the surface and get them resolved? Does that make him a bully, since he defends teamsters?????? Silly me, Ive never used them much but......now it sounds intimidating.

How about if the company would do the right thing and follow the contract and quit screwing people then there wouldn't be a need for union stewards or a contract?

well it would be great if every day was sunshiny and warm but that aint happenin

tieguy

Banned
You make it sound like you believe this was some kind of elaborate plan by UPS management. Management are people with tempers and stress just like hourlies. I believe this manager lost his temper and his self control.

If I lost my temper during a verbal confrontation with a manager and slammed my shoulder into him I would expect to be fired. There are times I would have liked to do it but I am not a child.

i think Reds relationship with the company has gone way beyond that level. I could be wrong. I have to check with sober and the mods to see if I am allowed to say anymore here.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
i think Reds relationship with the company has gone way beyond that level. I could be wrong. I have to check with sober and the mods to see if I am allowed to say anymore here.
I dont know about sober, but I have always considered you to be fair.
I know you are being satirical, HAHA So post away. You know you are one of my favs, :love-very:and I just didnt see the disdain for Red. So with open mind I am anxiously awaiting your reply, unless I fall asleep first, or get drunk and pass out...........................