Sick Day Notes

vantexan

1. If you go on vacation after a holiday, as I did the week after New Year's Day, and you call in sick the first day after your vacation, as I did due to chest pain, FedEx will treat it as if you called in the day after the holiday AND TAKE BACK your holiday pay. So I ended up with a short check and no check this week while waiting on Aetna to cut me a disability check. Luckily my senior said he'll restore the holiday pay. But what a kick in the shorts.

2. Mgrs now get 10 sick days a year. We don't. Enough said.

3. Due to having to take all my sick days I'm going to get reamed on my next review.

Last edited:

vantexan

I wish my manager would get 365 sick days a year and use them all.

Seriously they know most managers won't use half of those 10 days anyway.

The question is will they get paid for what they don't take? Kind of a back door bonus for them if they do, while telling us they don't get bonuses. Also do they get dinged for taking a sick day?

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Who can tell me if all the OPS mgrs. have gotten their full pay and bonuses back from ~2 yrs. ago when they slashed the budget? (read, laid off all those peeps in Mem. and cut a lot of OPS mgrs. positions)

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
1. If you go on vacation after a holiday, as I did the week after New Year's Day, and you call in sick the first day after your vacation, as I did due to chest pain, FedEx will treat it as if you called in the day after the holiday AND TAKE BACK your holiday pay. So I ended up with a short check and no check this week while waiting on Aetna to cut me a disability check. Luckily my senior said he'll restore the holiday pay. But what a kick in the shorts.

2. Mgrs now get 10 sick days a year. We don't. Enough said.

3. Due to having to take all my sick days I'm going to get reamed on my next review.

Yep, only 5 sick days, and every one of them is held against you. If you have a qualifying recurrent condition, you can get an FMLA exemption in some states, which gives you as many sick days as you want, but no pay. FedEx cannot hold FMLA days against you.

10 days for managers is completely unfair, unless they want to extend the same benefit to us. Fat chance. I have a manager who has been sick at least 20 days this year, with no apparent consequences.

klein

Für Meno :)
I dismise sick-notes like crazy !
If your sick, you are sick !
And in most cases not feeling well enough to leave the house, even to see a doctor !

And if they want a note, I make sure I get 2 days out of it (1 just being too sick to see doc, the second day to see a doc) !

Besides all that, rising healthcare costs are a huge issue.
It just costs more and more for health insurance if every employer wants a sick note !

And that`s sickening !

LTFedExer

Does anyone happen to know the exact policy that states a 'sick note' is required the day before/after a holiday, Friday or Monday?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If you call in sick the day before or after a holiday, and you really are sick, then you will be paid the holiday pay. That's the reason for bringing in a doctor's note.

FedEx2000

Yes managers now are allotted 10 sick days, however, this was decreased from basically unlimited as there was no cap that I am aware of previously. I don't know if they are held against us on our management reviews as I have not taken one, but if it affected getting your job done I'm sure it would be. We do not get any extra pay for not taking the sick days like hourlies do, our salary is what it is regardless of whether you take them or not.

Mr. 7: Only the minimum/bottom of range was reinstated, they put that 5% back in on 2/01/2010......anyone above bottom of range has not gotten the 5% back as of yet and from what I have been told, never will. We got a partial bonus last year, it was about 50% of what it was in 2007/2008. It should be a little higher this year from what I hear. Salary merit increases are limited to 3.5% max, hourly merit increases are 4.5%, and 3% max to top of range.

Van: Policy states that you must work your scheduled shift prior to and following the holiday, since you were on vacation the following week, the next Monday was your first scheduled shift after the holiday. Not saying it's 100% right, and I agree with what your Sr. did, just letting you know. If you were say a Tues-Sat employee and called in sick on Tuesday, the same applies as it would be the first scheduled shift after the holiday.

LTFedExer: Requiring a Dr.'s note is pretty much up to mgmt discretion and generally comes in to play when someone shows a trend of always calling in sick on Mondays/Fridays or if the station has a trend of high sick calls on any given day then mgmt may ask for a Dr.'s note.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Mr. 7: Only the minimum/bottom of range was reinstated, they put that 5% back in on 2/01/2010......anyone above bottom of range has not gotten the 5% back as of yet and from what I have been told, never will. We got a partial bonus last year, it was about 50% of what it was in 2007/2008. It should be a little higher this year from what I hear. Salary merit increases are limited to 3.5% max, hourly merit increases are 4.5%, and 3% max to top of range.

Thanks for the info. F2K. I always appreciate your input. Too bad I don't work for you. :funny:

LTFedExer: Requiring a Dr.'s note is pretty much up to mgmt discretion and generally comes in to play when someone shows a trend of always calling in sick on Mondays/Fridays or if the station has a trend of high sick calls on any given day then mgmt may ask for a Dr.'s note.

I've been told that if you call in sick two days in a row, you don't need a note, more than that, you do. Is there any policy on how many days require a note or, just mgmt. discretion?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Thanks for the info. F2K. I always appreciate your input. Too bad I don't work for you. :funny:

I've been told that if you call in sick two days in a row, you don't need a note, more than that, you do. Is there any policy on how many days require a note or, just mgmt. discretion?

A smart manager tracks absences, just as FedEx2000 suggested. You'd be amazed how many "sick" days occur on Mondays, Fridays, or some other regular day that is easily detected as a regular pattern. Many employees aren't smart enough to vary their days, but that's OK, because most managers aren't bright enough to keep track.

LTFedExer

So, hypothetically, if I don't have a sick day in the past year and call in sick on a Monday or Friday, I would not be REQUIRED to bring a note?

As far as I know, 2 days in a row does require a doctor's note. Though I don't know if it's actual policy, I'm not management.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
A smart manager tracks absences, just as FedEx2000 suggested. You'd be amazed how many "sick" days occur on Mondays, Fridays, or some other regular day that is easily detected as a regular pattern. Many employees aren't smart enough to vary their days, but that's OK, because most managers aren't bright enough to keep track.

That's all cool with me 'cause I haven't called in sick since I've been here (4.5 yrs)
In fact, I can't remember calling in sick in the past 20 yrs.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
That's all cool with me 'cause I haven't called in sick since I've been here (4.5 yrs)
In fact, I can't remember calling in sick in the past 20 yrs.

I've started using my sick days for the first time in my FedEx career, so I'm a 6.8 instead of a 7 now. Not caring is a lot less stressful.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

I've started using my sick days for the first time in my FedEx career, so I'm a 6.8 instead of a 7 now. Not caring is a lot less stressful.

It actually took you this long to get to that point? LOL I try not to call in, but it is nice to know they are there when I need them. I can say that mediocrity is the way to go for your reviews. Have only had 2 reviews that netted below a 6...my very first one and one about 6 years ago when I scratched the sticker on the truck...

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It actually took you this long to get to that point? LOL I try not to call in, but it is nice to know they are there when I need them. I can say that mediocrity is the way to go for your reviews. Have only had 2 reviews that netted below a 6...my very first one and one about 6 years ago when I scratched the sticker on the truck...

My personal work ethic exceeds my common sense, so I've always done a very good job for them. I do agree that mediocrity is the way to go, because a mediocre employer deserves employees that could really care less. There are an ever-increasing number of them too. Wonder why that is?

FedExer267

We at Ground dont get paid sick days just a SALARY so even though I may call in sick I will only get paid for 32 hours. That being said I use to never call in but once I got a clue that everything the IC told me when he hired me was a lie I started calling in sick when I would get side work. Its pretty sad that a long 3 day weekend can make me more money than working for Ground. However I am lucky that I have those skills from previous employment. The funny thing is I know a few good people at Ground I will offer them work when I have it and the sad thing is they say I pay them more than their IC for a days work.