Smoking and UPS

LKLND3380

My state will go smoke free (public places) on Oct. 1st. It will come to your state sooner than later. I wonder how long UPS will continue to allow smoking in their package cars and feeders. I bet not for long. P.S. Although I'm a non-smoker now, I did smoke for 25 of my 30 years at UPS and knowing that smoldering cig was waiting for me back at the truck did play a part in keeping me sane. However, I was told on occasion that I smelled like a ciggarette.

We had a couple places close after going smoke free...

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I always get a kick out of this argument. Don't forget the fact that a lot of new customers (like myself) will start patronizing those businesses since they won't be unconfortable in them any longer. The Ohio smoking ban enforcement starts soon. I'm looking forward to spending time in some places that I have avoided due to the smoke. For those business owners I'll be a new customer. There are many people like me out there.
The OHIO smoking ban is in full force now.
I always get a kick out of the fact that for as long as I can remember, owners could post signs to say no smoking in our establishment, but we had to have our busy(sarcasm x10) legislature make it a law, so even shopkeeps who want to allow smoking, cannot do so within their own property.
And then they passed the stripper law, where you have to be 6 ft away, from the girl, and she has to put clothes on at midnight, and no one can come in after midnite, duh, what makes a difference after midnight? The smoking ban doesnt bother me, I dont smoke where I eat, and I dont go to bars. I just think its something that didnt need to take up more of our tax dollars to enforce. I think the property owner should have decided which kind of patrons he wanted.

OldUPSDriver

I guess women with ovarian and breast cancer just cower in defeat. Theyre not man enough to face it....jk:tongue_sm[/quote]

Dr Manback, I don't believe those types of cancer are related to smoking. I assume you have been treated for the cancers you mentioned?

trickpony1

[/quote]Dr Manback, I don't believe those types of cancer are related to smoking. I assume you have been treated for the cancers you mentioned?[/QUOTE]

.....so are you saying that the blood flow that replenishs, oxygenates and provides nutrients for the ovarian and breast tissues is not the same blood that is saturated with the carcinogenic components of cigarette smoke in the lungs?
I guess I wasn't paying attention in human phys when the instructor talked about two separate and distinct circulatory systems.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I just wish the government would make it illegal. I am a smoker and now they tell me where i can or cant smoke, why dont they tell me not to smoke and ban them all together. I will tell you why, they tax the sale of tobacco so much that the country would lose at least a billion dollars a year in sales tax, hows that for looking out for our best interest.

DS

Fenderbender
Being a smoker is really expensive here in Ontario.
$9.00 a pack and they keep going up due to taxes.
I hear its $12.00 a pack in Edmonton...and they put
nasty pictures on them to make you quit...

What'dyabringmetoday???

We have had the smoking laws in New York for three or four years now. There is not supposed to be any smoking in any of the UPS vehicles, but it still goes on. I usually have the same truck every day. I am sure it must stink, literally, in other areas if you are a non-smoker and have to share a tractor with a smoker. I used to smoke so I don't get all that upset about it, but if you can't stand the smoke, it is not fair to have to be subjected to it. Just an opinion.

old levi's

blank space
It' s not natural to put something in your mouth that's already on fire.

If you go camping and the smoke from the campfire is blowing in your face do you continue to stand there or do you move?

For anyone who would like to quit, try this. Whenever your friend , spouse, partner, (not that theres anything wrong with that) sees you with a cigarette in your mouth have them slap the dog crap out of you. You'll quit and they will enjoy the process immensely.

trickpony1

Another way to quit is to use one of the commercially available patches (don't know if I'm allowed to name the product I used).
That's how I quit 12 years ago.
The instructions clearly state the patch can be worn 24 hours. I wore mine 24 hours and it really took the edge off in the mornings when I wanted a smoke real bad. The instructions also warned the user about the VERY COLORFUL, VIVID dreams from wearing the patch during sleeping.
I got to where I was really enjoying those dreams!!!
Anyway....it's an expensive endeavor. It only took me the first two stages before I quit completely.
Don't smoke while wearing the patch.
Good Luck.

Great Gazoo

Local 25
It is hard to quit smoking. Every one of them looks real good to me right about now. Every cigarette looks like it was made by God, rolled by Jesus and moistened shut with Jennifer Aniston's lips

Last edited by a moderator:

MSGTDEL

Perhaps someone has said this alreay, but it may take a fire in the back of a Package Car caused by a cigarrete for them to enforce not smoking in UPS vehicals. There are sometimes hazardrous materials loaded in package cars. In my 26 years with the company I've never heard of that happening. Has anyone heard of such an event?