sold out

cynic

Same for PTers...every year our pph goes up....

Ok, my limited understanding of the contract is that there are no metrics in the contract. A day's work for a day's pay whether my pph is 20 or 500 - they cannot write me up for anything performance/metric related because there is no language in the contract to support it. Is that right or wrong?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Ok, my limited understanding of the contract is that there are no metrics in the contract. A day's work for a day's pay whether my pph is 20 or 500 - they cannot write me up for anything performance/metric related because there is no language in the contract to support it. Is that right or wrong?

Article 37, Section 1:

The parties agree that the principle of a fair day's work for a fair day's pay shall be observed at all times and employees shall perform their duties in a manner that best represents the Employer's interest.

This translates to the union not recognizing any production standards set by the employer. However, the employer can discipline based on the methods; as long as you do everything by the book, all they can do is bitch.

cynic

Article 37, Section 1:

This translates to the union not recognizing any production standards set by the employer. However, the employer can discipline based on the methods; as long as you do everything by the book, all they can do is bitch.

Yep, I break out my load stand and take it down one box at a time, following their "methods" perfectly whenever they come back to unload and bitch - while the irreg egress is overflowing slides and grating. Oh yes, and I do need to double check that my labels are facing up for the scanners so I continue to work as directed. My, what a model employee I can be!

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Yep, I break out my load stand and take it down one box at a time, following their "methods" perfectly whenever they come back to unload and bitch - while the irreg egress is overflowing slides and grating. Oh yes, and I do need to double check that my labels are facing up for the scanners so I continue to work as directed. My, what a model employee I can be!

I've literally only heard of one guy being fired over production (when I say "fired" I don't mean "taken off the job for a paid vacation after winning at panel", I mean fired as in "does not work at UPS any longer, period") and I think the story was posted on BrownCafe. It involved a hub employee that would literally do but work, ie. play on his phone, walk around the building and chitchat, etc etc. Eventually, the local labor manager/district manager and a steward/BA observed him one night and the guy did something like 20 minutes of work in a 2 hour period and got axed. That's less a "production/numbers" issue than a "stealing time" issue, but you get the idea.

cynic

I've literally only heard of one guy being fired over production (when I say "fired" I don't mean "taken off the job for a paid vacation after winning at panel", I mean fired as in "does not work at UPS any longer, period") and I think the story was posted on BrownCafe. It involved a hub employee that would literally do but work, ie. play on his phone, walk around the building and chitchat, etc etc. Eventually, the local labor manager/district manager and a steward/BA observed him one night and the guy did something like 20 minutes of work in a 2 hour period and got axed. That's less a "production/numbers" issue than a "stealing time" issue, but you get the idea.

Honestly, that sounds just like a PT sup I used to work for. She'd be pacing around "sexting" another PT sup.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Correct, they can't discipline you on paper for your numbers. However, they can whine and moan about it, or OJS you, which is always a barrel of laughs!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Correct, they can't discipline you on paper for your numbers. However, they can whine and moan about it, or OJS you, which is always a barrel of laughs!
Or observe you until you screw something up.
And everyone does eventually.
​Hell, even Jesus couldn't work at UPS and do everything right.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
He refused to take off his halo....walked him out the door! Failure to follow instructionsI.No warning letter or nothing!.Fired him on the spot. however.they did promote that Satan dude into management. Go figure??
If it wasn't the halo, it would be stealing time for praying on the clock lol. It's always something. Satan works in your building too?? That guy is just everywhere. Hitler's spitting image works in my building too....no bs.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Actually, there is one performance number they can get drivers for: SPH, or stops per hour. Unlike allowances or over-allowed, it is one number that in theory should not change from day-to-day, and serves as a good measure of how well an employee works. When a 3-day is performed it is to see if the SPH can be improved based on a re-training of the methods. If the SPH does show improvement, they'll hold you to that measure, and if you begin to fall behind again, now they can discipline you for failure to follow methods, for when you were observed doing the methods your PPH went up. I personally know of at least one driver who was taken all the way to panel on this....and lost. However, they ended up letting him serve a 5-day suspension.

Of course, if one's numbers DON'T improve during the 3-day, THEN there is really nothing they can do besides moan.

Actually, there is one performance number they can get drivers for: SPH, or stops per hour. Unlike allowances or over-allowed, it is one number that in theory should not change from day-to-day, and serves as a good measure of how well an employee works. When a 3-day is performed it is to see if the SPH can be improved based on a re-training of the methods. If the SPH does show improvement, they'll hold you to that measure, and if you begin to fall behind again, now they can discipline you for failure to follow methods, for when you were observed doing the methods your PPH went up. I personally know of at least one driver who was taken all the way to panel on this....and lost. However, they ended up letting him serve a 5-day suspension.

Of course, if one's numbers DON'T improve during the 3-day, THEN there is really nothing they can do besides moan.

The 3 day ride is a big joke.they pick n choose stops..then you cant meet their magical numbers!..........thats why I keep a notebook!

'Lord Brown's bidding'

It may be a big joke, but if over the three days they observe a noticeable improvement in your SPH, if you don't keep to it the joke's on you. They hold it over 3-days to try and get a better cross-section of a typical week. "It was a light day"; "Traffic was bad"; "I had to wait for a COD" can get you out of a day, but rarely does a situation present itself like that everyday, and often guys show an ability to overcome delays like that.

To be sure, there a methods for dealing with a three-day, and sometimes the route really is that bad. Also, not taking shortcuts (like calling pickups to see if they have anything) must be followed.

And there is nothing magical about SPH; it's not a number they pull out of thin air, it's a number they'll watch you do. You are coming in an hour over every night, and your SPH is 18. They'll see if they can't get your SPH up to 21; if they do, there isn't much you can say, notebook or not....but only if your SPH does indeed go up.