Some interesting things about working off the clock

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
T2A

Correlation does not imply causation

But then again, maybe it does.

The same attitude that comes from doing what ever they want, right or wrong by working off the clock, is many times carried into the delivery area.

Many of these drivers have developed bad delivery habits and driving skills.

There was one driver that pulls into a delivery's driveway, one with a hedge that is 12 feet tall and very thick, going all the way to the side walk. While backing out, he can see nothing that would be coming down the street on the passenger side, so he is doing a completely blind back out into the street.

This customer gets air every day, and most days ground as well. So thats twice a day that he does this dangerous maneuver. He as been written up for that behavior, but still does it every day.

And the list continues with tons of examples of drivers doing what the heck they want to do in violation of safe driving and working methods. And that, sir, is why the "Correlation does imply causation".

Its all about being able to be taught. To stay off the car, to work properly, to drive safely.

I would be interested in seeing an unwashed study nation wide to see if the trends continue.

d

TheDick

@ dannyboy
Weird stats, never would've thought, but hey every work group is different.
I say anomally, but i bet UPS hasnt studied it because ur not supposed to work before start time. oops

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Haha.. if you think about it to work off the clock you've gotta come in early anyway which is still time lost that could have been spent at home and with family.
Or even worse, time away from the gym.:wink2:

Could be, but in a center of 115-120 drivers going out per day, it would be a significant enough issue to warrant further investigation by the safety department.

d
Here's where we go awry. As long as it's "their" safety department I don't believe this will ever be done.

To investigate, they would have to first admit there may be a problem.
Aint gonna happen.
Not ever! Imagine if there was an independent committee? Heavens forbid.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
I must be missing something. To me, if it takes 10 hours, it takes 10 hours. Or 9..11..whatever. Why would anyone donate their time and start early, off the clock? YOU ARE STILL WORKING THE SAME AMOUNT OF HOURS! You're not "getting over" by doing this. You are putting yourself at risk by doing this. You are hurting your fellow employees by doing this. And you could potentially hurt your family by doing this. Don't think so? Get hurt once while working off the clock. You will play hell getting any kind of sympathy from the company, even though you've done it for years and saved them thousands. The first thing they are going to say is, "You shouldn't have been there doing that at that time. You were working before your scheduled start time." The second thing they're going to say is, "You're going to need a steward."

Re-Raise

Why would you need to set up your truck with EDD? I can look at my board for 30 seconds now before work and know how my day will be. Let the preload worry about putting them on the truck.

partykid

I love ED, but it has took all knowledge away from the preload, which is why i hate it!! Love Hate relationship isnt it grand

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
Important question. Why would anyone work off the clock.

Working for free while so many are laid off or on call.

Stealing work when others need it.

BrownArmy

Important question. Why would anyone work off the clock.

Working for free while so many are laid off or on call.

Stealing work when others need it.

I agree wholeheartedly.

New forum poster here, 1 year driving the 'package car'...

In my experience it doesn't make a damn bit of difference in your day if you get in your truck before your start time (to do what, organize all your stops?). Of course, I'll give my EDD a quick glance, just to mentally prepare myself for the new day's fresh hell, and before start time I'll put my gear and lunchbox in the truck, but that's about it.

In my center, all the NDA is either in a tote at the back of the truck or under the belt/leaning up against the truck if it's larger items.

The way I figure it, get real comfortable with your NDA (while reviewing EDD and on your truck as you pre-trip after the PCM, etc). End of story. Depending on your route, you may have excellent opportunities to deliver much ground with air. Or not. It depends on the day's load. I have days where it all lines up and I can deliver a bunch of ground as I'm getting the NDA's off on time, and I have days where I'm cheating the devil just to get the NDA's delivered on time.

But there is no point to getting on your truck early/working off the clock/etc. As far as I can see, it ultimately makes little difference in how your day is going to go.

Drivers, know how your day gets crazy with this particular stop and the other one, all those little addresses that kill your smooth loops? The loaders have the same experience as they're trying to pack the trucks... The rich folk who order MEGA stuff, some of it quite large...the schools that are on summer break but are now ordering 30 boxes of whatever (which have to be piled on the floor in an irregular place), the GINOURMOUS package PAL'd in your mid-8000 section (which the loaders had no choice but to put in the very back of the truck), etc.

Point being, it's folly to start early to get a jump on your day when your day needs to sort out itself. After the NDA's are off, I don't worry much about the load until I'm about into the 3000's, at which point I actually have enough room to start organizing things for real.

So why work off the clock? The only payoff there is for management.

Aside from the fact that you're working for free. The job's hard enough without giving your time away. And if you disagree, I'll invite you over to my house to paint my fence/help with the laundry/dishes/cleaning, watch my cats while I'm on vacation, etc. And of course I won't pay you, because working for free is fun, right?

brownrodster

Why would you need to set up your truck with EDD? I can look at my board for 30 seconds now before work and know how my day will be. Let the preload worry about putting them on the truck.

Not every center has EDD/PAS. A center like mine that is still run oldschool does the best they can with the atrocious preload given to them. Coming in an hour early, pulling your multitude of missloads, loading packages on the right shelf and knowing exactly what you have to do that day before you start will save you a huge amount of time.

I choose to take the horrible loads they give me and make the most money I can off them. I deliver all my missloads (I've had 15 in a day some ranging up to 20 miles away) and rarely look at my load before I leave the center.

Knowing this why doesn't UPS do anything about the problem? Their answer - beat drivers over their head to increase their SPORH.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Not every center has EDD/PAS. A center like mine that is still run oldschool does the best they can with the atrocious preload given to them. Coming in an hour early, pulling your multitude of missloads, loading packages on the right shelf and knowing exactly what you have to do that day before you start will save you a huge amount of time.

I choose to take the horrible loads they give me and make the most money I can off them. I deliver all my missloads (I've had 15 in a day some ranging up to 20 miles away) and rarely look at my load before I leave the center.

Knowing this why doesn't UPS do anything about the problem? Their answer - beat drivers over their head to increase their SPORH.
PAS is NOT the be all end all they make it out to be. There are still misloads. I had 3 today. :dissapointed: Your old school isn't any different than the new school. Well, I should give credit where credit is due. There are advantages to EDD. It is nice, when you don't know a rte, to be able to look at the next stop and go there.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
Coming in an hour early, pulling your multitude of missloads, loading packages on the right shelf and knowing exactly what you have to do that day before you start will save you a huge amount of time.
How can you not understand that you aren't saving time? Can you really talk yourself into believing such utter BS?

jennie

Preload does worry about it! I have come in early and now I get that extra 15 minutes and start the same times as preload sort. I feel as long as you speak to people that you respect, you get it back, and I am talking about 2 of management.

THEY are not all jerks, they want the package out as we do, my motto has always been even before UPS "treat people as you would like to be treated" and some there do NOT do this.

Ms.PacMan

The fastest way to end working off the clock at your bldg is to have a senior driver file an extra work greivance. You assert that the hours worth of work before start time sorting the truck by the junior driver is extra work and should be offered by seniority.

This greivance will win money and mgmt will put an end to drivers working the off the clock.

brownrodster

How can you not understand that you aren't saving time? Can you really talk yourself into believing such utter BS?

Read my post. I don't come in early. Leaving without 10 missloads from other routes, and have the truck loaded on the wrong shelf will surely save time.

rocket man

why would you work off the clock? while your working off the clock call someone whos laid off and tell him or her. Better yet call your local..And tell them. maybe you can can switch with someone whos laid off .They can take your place, Then you can work off the clock.All you want .Better yet come to my house ill let you do yard work change the oil in my car of course i wont pay you. you can work off the clock.ahh but if you get hurt YOUR ON YOUR OWN. .

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I agree wholeheartedly.

New forum poster here, 1 year driving the 'package car'...

In my experience it doesn't make a damn bit of difference in your day if you get in your truck before your start time (to do what, organize all your stops?). Of course, I'll give my EDD a quick glance, just to mentally prepare myself for the new day's fresh hell, and before start time I'll put my gear and lunchbox in the truck, but that's about it.

In my center, all the NDA is either in a tote at the back of the truck or under the belt/leaning up against the truck if it's larger items.

The way I figure it, get real comfortable with your NDA (while reviewing EDD and on your truck as you pre-trip after the PCM, etc). End of story. Depending on your route, you may have excellent opportunities to deliver much ground with air. Or not. It depends on the day's load. I have days where it all lines up and I can deliver a bunch of ground as I'm getting the NDA's off on time, and I have days where I'm cheating the devil just to get the NDA's delivered on time.

But there is no point to getting on your truck early/working off the clock/etc. As far as I can see, it ultimately makes little difference in how your day is going to go.

Drivers, know how your day gets crazy with this particular stop and the other one, all those little addresses that kill your smooth loops? The loaders have the same experience as they're trying to pack the trucks... The rich folk who order MEGA stuff, some of it quite large...the schools that are on summer break but are now ordering 30 boxes of whatever (which have to be piled on the floor in an irregular place), the GINOURMOUS package PAL'd in your mid-8000 section (which the loaders had no choice but to put in the very back of the truck), etc.

Point being, it's folly to start early to get a jump on your day when your day needs to sort out itself. After the NDA's are off, I don't worry much about the load until I'm about into the 3000's, at which point I actually have enough room to start organizing things for real.

So why work off the clock? The only payoff there is for management.

Aside from the fact that you're working for free. The job's hard enough without giving your time away. And if you disagree, I'll invite you over to my house to paint my fence/help with the laundry/dishes/cleaning, watch my cats while I'm on vacation, etc. And of course I won't pay you, because working for free is fun, right?

You are quite wise for a 1 year greenhorn. Good post and welcome to the BC.