Specter changes sides

over9five

Staff member
"Let's be honest -- Sen. Specter didn't leave the GOP based on principles of any kind," he said. "He left to further his personal political interests because he knew that he was going to lose a Republican primary due to his left-wing voting record." Michael Steele

I think that pretty well sums up my thoughts on it.

Cochise

Banned
Michael Steele and I see things pretty much the same way.:happy2:
You mean that abortion is a woman's choice, and Rush Limbaugh is
"incendiary and ugly" and that the Republican party will be given an
"off the hook","hip-hop makeover' that would attract even "one armed midgets"?

Well as he so insightfully remarked once on the Mike Gallagher radio show:

STEELE: I mean, like Sarah Palin said, you put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig.

negrosangre

I agree his movement is solely for self gain. At 79, the guy is probably senile also. But you know the Dems will maximize the opportunity.:sad-very:

tieguy

Banned
You mean that abortion is a woman's choice, and Rush Limbaugh is
"incendiary and ugly" and that the Republican party will be given an
"off the hook","hip-hop makeover' that would attract even "one armed midgets"?

Well as he so insightfully remarked once on the Mike Gallagher radio show:

STEELE: I mean, like Sarah Palin said, you put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig.

My for someone who's side has firm control of the power stick you sure sound like you have a lot of anger. YOu do know your side is in control and screwing up the country now don't you?

Specter was never a republican. He just claimed to be.

DS

Fenderbender
Hey all,I dont usually comment on your politics,just letting ya know on CNN tv 9PM Wed Apr 29 you grade how Obama did in the last 100 days.on tv and @
cnn.com

tourists24

My for someone who's side has firm control of the power stick you sure sound like you have a lot of anger. YOu do know your side is in control and screwing up the country now don't you?

Specter was never a republican. He just claimed to be.
He wasnt really a repulican, but he did stay at a Holiday Inn Express

Sammie

I guess people will do anything to keep getting the paycheck coming. But if he loses the election in 2010, will he revert back?

wkmac

Specter becomes the democrats "magic bullet"

As counsel for the Warren Commission, Arlen Specter described a “magic bullet” that changed America. Four decades later as a U.S. senator, Specter is providing another history-altering magic bullet—one Democrats will either fire off in a starting gun, or use in their suicide.

With Minnesota Democrat Al Franken expected to be seated soon, and now with Specter, Democrats will have the 60 Senate votes needed to overcome all parliamentary obstructions.

This legislative magic bullet will force Democrats to fulfill their policy promises and potentially commence an era of dominance, or fail and get annihilated at the polls.

No longer can they blame Republicans for stopping bills to reform health care, tax, defense and trade policy. In command of the White House, the autocratic House of Representatives, and soon a filibuster-proof Senate majority, Democrats will have total authority to do whatever they want, and no scapegoat to fault. That means, as ABC News’ Rick Klein said, “This is Democrats’ turn to govern, no excuses”—and it means we’re about to find out whether their pledges were genuine.

Ever since the 1994 Republican takeover of Congress, Democrats have guaranteed “real change” if we give them back control of government. They’ve made this pledge despite helping Republicans deregulate the financial system and plunge the country into the Iraq war. And at every turn, they’ve blamed the GOP, rather than themselves, for gridlock.

When they temporarily took back the Senate in 2001 after Vermont Sen. Jim Jeffords’ party switch, they said the Republican House would stymie their priorities—a logical argument that came true. When they won both houses of Congress in 2006, they said George W. Bush would veto their agenda—again, a fair assertion that proved correct. When they won both Congress and the White House in 2008, they insisted they still couldn’t do very much because their 58 senate votes couldn’t overcome a filibuster—a less believable claim considering Obama’s bully pulpit, but nonetheless at least mathematically valid.

It has been like watching a 15-year version of an Indiana Jones film—every time we think the quest to find the ark will be completed, there’s been another twist, putting off the promised conclusion just a little bit more.

With Their Magic Bullet, Dems Have No More Excuses

wkmac

I guess people will do anything to keep getting the paycheck coming. But if he loses the election in 2010, will he revert back?

I'd not be surprised at all to see several more go over and not necessarily some of the names typically mentioned when this idea gets floated.

tieguy

Banned

he's another example of why we need term limits in congress..(ted kennedy)..erp.. excuse me for passing gas.

Sammie

he's another example of why we need term limits in congress..(ted kennedy)..erp.. excuse me for passing gas.

There you go again Tie, busting poor Teddy's chops. And why? Couldn't be that the guy's only been a senator for 47 YEARS! Cripes! What else do you expect the guy to do for a living?

On second thought, wonder if he's too old to start courses in water rescue training...