SPHOR

browniehound

The goal during the 3 day ride would be to get you to take your lunch contractually AND finish all your house calls before your pickups.

Of course, but my pick-ups finish at 5 or so and with a 8.5 plan it would be impossible even if I was scratch. I've never had an OJS and don't think I will in the near future. Management has telematics now and knows what I'm doing, so why would they waste their time on a 3-day ride? They won't because it will add 8 miles and all that time to the route.

I know its probably the right thing to do in taking my lunch in the middle of the day, but I'm in the middle of no-where with no place to eat and nothing to do. At the end of the day I go to a Dunkin' Donuts near the center and spend my hour there with some regulars who I can chat with.

Yes, I know there are hard-core teamsters cursing me out right now, but I simply can't sit in the truck in the woods for 1 hour doing nothing. I need some brain stimulation or human interaction, so I take it at the end where I know I can talk to other people

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I travel alot as well and I dont disagree. I have found places that are very good and places that are not. I do however disagree that alot of places arent facing the same kind of abuse.

I would think that Lifer may have access to more of the behind the scenes action at a building other than your own than you would and therefore would have a better sense of the operational effectiveness of a center.

I would also say that an outsider is not going to see as much as someone that knows people will see. If I see a UPS suit I really dont have any interest in talking to them. They have created and unsafe, untrusting air for me. So the people that are not like that will still meet my walls whether they deserve it or not.

You have a preconceived notion before you even speak to the person. I tend to give people that I meet for the first time a clean slate.

I also dont give alot of weight to any investigation done by UPS due to their employee is always at fault mentality. For instance we had a driver last week that had 2 people run from the opposite side of the street to get a package for thier neighbor from him. His view of them was blocked by the P1000 so he would not be able to see them as he went back to his truck. They ran infront of the truck as he was leaving to try to stop him so they could get the package. He then bumped the lady very very lightly on the leg w/ the bumper. No injurys nor was it an accident. Should he have probably seen them yes and he clearly did because he didnt run her over. We all know that its pedal to the metal off the line. The supe just totally ripped him a new one for the situation. Telling him hes going to kill someone. Yet UPS says nothing about the morons that run in front of the UPS truck or the fact that they j walked to get across the street. They simply state that we are professionals and everything that happens is our fault. Its always we should have known or saw it coming and we are going to end up killing someone. This info is based on info from the driver and the UPS investigation.

You can't fix stupid but must be in a position to react to it. I deliver to the local college and know that the students care little about crosswalks or waiting for cars to see them before darting out in to the road, either fixated on their cell phones or listening to their i-Pods. As I am walking back to the pkg car I quickly glance at both the front and rear to ensure no one is there. I also make sure to look over my left shoulder as I pull from the curb while also quickly checking the right mirrors to again ensure no one is there.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Of course, but my pick-ups finish at 5 or so and with a 8.5 plan it would be impossible even if I was scratch. I've never had an OJS and don't think I will in the near future. Management has telematics now and knows what I'm doing, so why would they waste their time on a 3-day ride? They won't because it will add 8 miles and all that time to the route.

I know its probably the right thing to do in taking my lunch in the middle of the day, but I'm in the middle of no-where with no place to eat and nothing to do. At the end of the day I go to a Dunkin' Donuts near the center and spend my hour there with some regulars who I can chat with.

Yes, I know there are hard-core teamsters cursing me out right now, but I simply can't sit in the truck in the woods for 1 hour doing nothing. I need some brain stimulation or human interaction, so I take it at the end where I know I can talk to other people
Brownie, I don't blame you. We have one rte that I do regularly and it is impossible to take lunch before 3pm. It is just the quirk of that rte because it's a rural rte. Like yours, there is no where to stop before then.

SWORDFISH

You can't fix stupid but must be in a position to react to it. I deliver to the local college and know that the students care little about crosswalks or waiting for cars to see them before darting out in to the road, either fixated on their cell phones or listening to their i-Pods. As I am walking back to the pkg car I quickly glance at both the front and rear to ensure no one is there. I also make sure to look over my left shoulder as I pull from the curb while also quickly checking the right mirrors to again ensure no one is there.

Dave LOL, you seem to have a rebutle that is kind of looking for conflict. Chiming in w/ your opinion. The first part of your statement is like that but I do have to say the last part of you statement that I quoted is great driving methods and I defintely agree. We should defintely be observing as much as possible at all times. Although my point was not whether the driver did what he was supposed to do or not but the fact that no matter what the situation is that UPS always puts all blame on the driver even when people run right in front of the package car like idiots.

UPS Lifer

I've always been curious as to why every "audit" I ever went through was pre-announced days in advance. You would think UPS could get a better picture of what is really happening if they did surprise audits, and I mean a surprise to everyone including the center manager and sups. I remember one time even being given a card with the 5 seeing habits and all the other stuff your were suppose to know. We were instructed to read word for word off the card if questioned by an auditor. What a joke.
Do they still pre-announce the audits?

Audits - assessments etc. are not announced anymore. Sometimes a good mgmt team can use deductive reasoning to figure it out. My motto was to run the operation as if you were going to be audited at any time. I got surprised once and did fine because all my paperwork was in order. It cemented my thinking in that regard. I was part of the air operation and we got a corporate air audit where the results go to the Management Committee. We never knew when they were coming. There was someone assigned to call every hotel in the area to see if UPS had a group of rooms reserved. Of course this only gave you a short window to get ready.... you still had to have your stuff in order. I had managers calling me with questions to try and find out what my schedule was. I actually would get in the car and make a decision while I was driving.

What gets confusing is when a division or district has a mock audit to see how prepared the operations are. That is usually announced but the non-management may not quite understand that it is only a mock or test audit.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I've always been curious as to why every "audit" I ever went through was pre-announced days in advance. You would think UPS could get a better picture of what is really happening if they did surprise audits, and I mean a surprise to everyone including the center manager and sups. I remember one time even being given a card with the 5 seeing habits and all the other stuff your were suppose to know. We were instructed to read word for word off the card if questioned by an auditor. What a joke.
Do they still pre-announce the audits?
Yes, they always know, that's how I know.
Until then, we hear very little about the criteria we're being audited.
Audits - assessments etc. are not announced anymore. Sometimes a good mgmt team can use deductive reasoning to figure it out. My motto was to run the operation as if you were going to be audited at any time. I got surprised once and did fine because all my paperwork was in order. It cemented my thinking in that regard. I was part of the air operation and we got a corporate air audit where the results go to the Management Committee. We never knew when they were coming. There was someone assigned to call every hotel in the area to see if UPS had a group of rooms reserved. Of course this only gave you a short window to get ready.... you still had to have your stuff in order. I had managers calling me with questions to try and find out what my schedule was. I actually would get in the car and make a decision while I was driving.

What gets confusing is when a division or district has a mock audit to see how prepared the operations are. That is usually announced but the non-management may not quite understand that it is only a mock or test audit.

Upcoming audits are never a secret.
It's usually about a 2 day cram session for those who give ****.

browned out

I second that motion.

Taking your lunch at the end of the day has many positive rewards to UPS and has a negative effect on your health. Late lunches allow more work to be accomplished before 5:00 PM closing with less people. This equates to the least number of route drivers on the road as possible.

Taking lunches in a humane time frame is a right people had to fight for.

We are Teamster's for Pete's sake!!

Do drivers DIADS go dead in CA After the class action lawsuit regarding lunch periods in CA? I heard they cant sheet anything during an hour lunch.

SWORDFISH

That lawsuite was way bigger than Cali. The west coast and maybe more. The board only locks out if you put it on lunch and you can end the lunch at anytime. It doesnt keep people from delivering though. You can just copy the last 4 #s of each tracking # and then enter them after you finish your lunch but only if your an idiot. Our lunches are no different than anyone elses except that UPS does random audits to make sure we have taken lunch before the end of the 5th hour. You will be shot if you dont do this. The lunch must be at least 30min straight.

rod

Retired 22 years
Bubblehead;723853 Upcoming audits are never a secret. It's usually about a 2 day cram session for those who give ****.[/QUOTE said:
See---- things haven't change all that much since I retired.:happy2:

UPS Lifer

That lawsuite was way bigger than Cali. The west coast and maybe more. The board only locks out if you put it on lunch and you can end the lunch at anytime. It doesnt keep people from delivering though. You can just copy the last 4 #s of each tracking # and then enter them after you finish your lunch but only if your an idiot. Our lunches are no different than anyone elses except that UPS does random audits to make sure we have taken lunch before the end of the 5th hour. You will be shot if you dont do this. The lunch must be at least 30min straight.

The series of lawsuits were only California. This was one of the reasons that the Pacific Region was shrunk to just California and Hawaii for a couple of years. California has a very high standard when it comes to protection of employee rights (which I throughly agree with). What you might be referring to was the ripple affect that spurred action in other areas of the country. California law trumps the contract. For example, if the California minimum wage was $8 an hour and a UPS contract indicated a wage for a loader of $6 an hour then the California law would supersede the contact.

Usually an addendum or supplement to the National Contract is written in such a way as to include state laws. Where it gets dicey, is dealing with those (such as management or administrative) employees who are salaried. I have some knowledge of this because I was called on to bring expert testimony for the company after I retired. However, I live in Arizona and California could not force me to appear even with a subpoena! I would not testify in court against former employees of mine.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

We just had a big audit last Monday and Tuesday. We knew it was coming for a month, and managed to score a 98.5. If I knew what that meant I would be so proud. I managed to mill around out of site until the auditer grabbed another driver for questioning and I bolted for the time-clock.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
LMAO Monster, don't you know how to make that quote 1 post or are you trying to catch up to Dave's [-]7000[/-] posts. :wink2: OOOOOPS should have looked first. Damn Dave, You're gonna hit 10,000 before the year is half over. :happy-very:

Last edited:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
LMAO Monster, don't you know how to make that quote 1 post or are you trying to catch up to Dave's 7000 posts. :wink2:

Lol, what a rookie move! Did it correctly and when I went to highlight in bold the beginning of Lifer's post everything I replied was gone. My original reply contained much more wisdom. (or BS)

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Brownie, I don't blame you. We have one rte that I do regularly and it is impossible to take lunch before 3pm. It is just the quirk of that rte because it's a rural rte. Like yours, there is no where to stop before then.

What???
Pack a lunch and a fishing pole, thats the best kinda lunch!!

SWORDFISH

The series of lawsuits were only California. This was one of the reasons that the Pacific Region was shrunk to just California and Hawaii for a couple of years. California has a very high standard when it comes to protection of employee rights (which I throughly agree with). What you might be referring to was the ripple affect that spurred action in other areas of the country. California law trumps the contract. For example, if the California minimum wage was $8 an hour and a UPS contract indicated a wage for a loader of $6 an hour then the California law would supersede the contact.

Usually an addendum or supplement to the National Contract is written in such a way as to include state laws. Where it gets dicey, is dealing with those (such as management or administrative) employees who are salaried. I have some knowledge of this because I was called on to bring expert testimony for the company after I retired. However, I live in Arizona and California could not force me to appear even with a subpoena! I would not testify in court against former employees of mine.

Sorry bro your incorrect. The lawsuits were also in WA and I thought OR as well but defintely WA. I opted out of the money settlement because I didnt feel that I was affected and didnt deserve the free handout. WA has the same law CA has. Maybe the particular case you were called for may have been just CA but WA was also involved. I should ask Soberups if OR was involved so I would know for sure.

UPS Lifer

Just had an audit last Monday and Tuesday. We knew about it for weeks.

Do you know what kind of audit? An announced audit is useless. This is what I have seen.... The district knows a certain time frame of when a particular audit is being done. Let's say it is a KETER audit.... So every manager in the district knows KETER is coming into the region/district. Each manager tells their people an audit is coming and they start preparing. Know one knows for sure until 4 hours before they actually arrive. Some operations will get more notice because the audit hits more than one operation but the auditors still have to wait until the next operation starts.
So you are thinking that your boss knew ... instead the boss was just got lucky or unlucky depending on how prepared you were. It makes it look like he/she knew well in advance.

With KETER, I usually had 4 to 8 false alerts before the real one hit. It just became easier to be prepared all the time.