SPHOR

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Mind you that this is Upstate's route, not all route's in general. I agree with that statement Also, does "virtual" time study take into account old, young, thin, heavy, tall, short or any of the many other variable's out there. Why should it - is there a measurement for these types of people and there are many variable's that are taken into account to-from building, building with elavator vs none ?? What if a "virtual" time study is done on a week when the route driver is on vacation and Mr. Young Gun is slamming the route? Did said Young Gun get proper signatures, reduce miles, record stops correctly, take a lunch etc, etc it will effect the time study. There are so many variables, but IE just plays the law of averages. I've seen the numbers that the dispatcher has to abide by. This is so ridiculous! I don't agree all the time either - but they are not unfair ALL the time.:peaceful::peaceful::peaceful:I am out...

SWORDFISH

Omega Man

You have 30 more miles to drive today? Too bad

WRONG!!

You have 3 extra 100 piece bulk stops on you today.

WRONG AGAIN!!

My comments are born from my education and training in mathematics and statistical analysis.

Please ask for a refund for your education and training because you obviously did not comprehend -retain the material given to you.

The 2 situations you refer too would drop the SPORH on any route. If a manager is looking at a driver and he see's a big difference in the driver's SPORH compared to his normal SPORH he is going to go straight across the report and see why the big difference (more miles - more pieces - more am time) whatever the case maybe. Your obvious fictional manager more than likely would not make any comment about SPORH.

If you are going to bash Managers or Supervisors using trumped up data at least be smart and make sure it add's up, because if you don't, I will and I will beat you any day at that game.

Management by MEASUREMENT ever heard of it.

WOW! Did mega man hit a nerve or what? Your being a jerk for no reason. Im curious is to how you would no whether his management team is doing this or not? I know they do crap like this any many areas of the country. If your practices are not like these please come manage any of our centers. I am sure you would find alot of open arms welcoming you.
You seem like a smart guy, so its wierd to see such statements coming from you. It starts to grate on your credibility a bit.

I'll explain how and this might only be a small percentage of the routes or maybe a large %. I only know my route. If I leave lunch until the end I can get most of my deliveries off before my pick-ups.

On my route, this really hurts management on the 3-day ride. By forcing my lunch in the middle of the day I can't finish my house calls. I must now drive 3 miles from my last pick-up to the house call section. I must now finish that section and drive 5 miles back to the building. How much are we losing doing this? This is 8 freaking miles!
The goal during the 3 day ride would be to get you to take your lunch contractually AND finish all your house calls before your pickups.

There is even more to it than this Brownie. I tried to make this point a long time ago in here but I was brushed off as being of no consequence. What time of day you take your lunch can have a huge impact on getting business done and what time you clock out. A heavy business rte risks missed business by taking lunch during contratced hours. Breaking off adds miles and time.
I second that motion.

Taking your lunch at the end of the day has many positive rewards to UPS and has a negative effect on your health. Late lunches allow more work to be accomplished before 5:00 PM closing with less people. This equates to the least number of route drivers on the road as possible.

Taking lunches in a humane time frame is a right people had to fight for.

We are Teamster's for Pete's sake!!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Mind you that this is Upstate's route, not all route's in general. I agree with that statement Also, does "virtual" time study take into account old, young, thin, heavy, tall, short or any of the many other variable's out there. Why should it - is there a measurement for these types of people and there are many variable's that are taken into account to-from building, building with elavator vs none ?? What if a "virtual" time study is done on a week when the route driver is on vacation and Mr. Young Gun is slamming the route? Did said Young Gun get proper signatures, reduce miles, record stops correctly, take a lunch etc, etc it will effect the time study. There are so many variables, but IE just plays the law of averages. I've seen the numbers that the dispatcher has to abide by. This is so ridiculous! I don't agree all the time either - but they are not unfair ALL the time.:peaceful::peaceful::peaceful:I am out...
Permanently out? Dragon, I'm not trying to bash mgmt. I'm trying to show you that not all formula's work the same way in EVERY situation. For instance, how does the time studier know if 3640 Smith Ln is on the ground floor or 5th floor of a walk up? How does the studier know if Young Gun actually took his/her lunch, or just put a lunch time in the board? How does the time study account for Christmas traffic, snow bird traffic and such? These are just a few of the many variables that I mean. I feel as though IE is trimming the time on routes to where you can't even stop to take a leak or get a drink, without the fear of being over allowed.

We don't need nervous driver's running around like chicken's with their heads cut off, do we? Why can't we all just be friends?:happy2:

Dragon

Package Center Manager
WOW! Did mega man hit a nerve or what? Your being a jerk for no reason. Im curious is to how you would no whether his management team is doing this or not? I know they do crap like this any many areas of the country. If your practices are not like these please come manage any of our centers. I am sure you would find alot of open arms welcoming you.
You seem like a smart guy, so its weird to see such statements coming from you. It starts to grate on your credibility a bit.

Yes he touched a nerve.

A question for you - How do you know this crap is going on all over the country? Honestly

Not trying to be disrespectful. Please tell me your data is not from BC. Good place for information but not exclusive.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Why can't we all just be friends?:happy2:

Friends will not let friends have to report on a conference call !! :wink2:
Friends will not greet friends with dirty looks first thing in the morning, just because they ran over allowed.

Yes he touched a nerve.

A question for you - How do you know this crap is going on all over the country? Honestly

Not trying to be disrespectful. Please tell me your data is not from BC. Good place for information but not exclusive.
I get better info here, than at the morning PCM.

some1else

Banned
Even on an all resi route taking lunch at the end of the day will also have you delivering 1hr less in the dark. There is a big difference between del house 12-1300 when no kids are playing in the street and it is daylight than between 1800-1900 in the dark with kids people walking dogs etc. I know I have to drop about 2-3 stops an hour to compensate

SWORDFISH

Yes he touched a nerve.

Im a steward so I try to make it my bussiness to know whats going on as many places as I can so I can be prepared and prepare others for things. I do gather info here as part of my statement but also talk to drivers in different places in person as well. I know you cant believe everything you hear but w/ the things I see and hear in my state it makes it easy to believe that the situations are not exclusive.
You know what I really hate is that I should be able to talk to a supe and put the BS aside(well sometimes this happens but not usually). Dragon I hate that upper management makes it impossible for us to get along in the UPS environment. Your job is to #s watch/drive(im generalizing) and mine is to watch out for my people that UPS really doesnt give 2 hoots about. Im basically the thorn in your side if your lacking integrity.

UPS Lifer

Im a steward so I try to make it my bussiness to know whats going on as many places as I can so I can be prepared and prepare others for things. I do gather info here as part of my statement but also talk to drivers in different places in person as well. I know you cant believe everything you hear but w/ the things I see and hear in my state it makes it easy to believe that the situations are not exclusive.
You know what I really hate is that I should be able to talk to a supe and put the BS aside(well sometimes this happens but not usually). Dragon I hate that upper management makes it impossible for us to get along in the UPS environment. Your job is to #s watch/drive(im generalizing) and mine is to watch out for my people that UPS really doesnt give 2 hoots about. Im basically the thorn in your side if your lacking integrity.

I did a lot of traveling in the different jobs I had at UPS. I audited operations in other districts and regions. I found that each operation and management team had their own personality. Each division and district had a distinct "personality". When I would dig into each operation, I found distinct differences in the way things were done. So, I have always been suspect of any statement that says this is happening all over the country. What you can be sure of is that which you have personally seen and witnessed and then even that is a version of the truth. Everyone has a version of the truth. It takes a lot of investigation to get to the core of the problem or the truth.

rod

Retired 22 years
I did a lot of traveling in the different jobs I had at UPS. I audited operations in other districts and regions. I found that each operation and management team had their own personality. Each division and district had a distinct "personality". When I would dig into each operation, I found distinct differences in the way things were done. So, I have always been suspect of any statement that says this is happening all over the country. What you can be sure of is that which you have personally seen and witnessed and then even that is a version of the truth. Everyone has a version of the truth. It takes a lot of investigation to get to the core of the problem or the truth.

I've always been curious as to why every "audit" I ever went through was pre-announced days in advance. You would think UPS could get a better picture of what is really happening if they did surprise audits, and I mean a surprise to everyone including the center manager and sups. I remember one time even being given a card with the 5 seeing habits and all the other stuff your were suppose to know. We were instructed to read word for word off the card if questioned by an auditor. What a joke.
Do they still pre-announce the audits?

bad company

semi-pro
I've always been curious as to why every "audit" I ever went through was pre-announced days in advance. You would think UPS could get a better picture of what is really happening if they did surprise audits, and I mean a surprise to everyone including the center manager and sups. I remember one time even being given a card with the 5 seeing habits and all the other stuff your were suppose to know. We were instructed to read word for word off the card if questioned by an auditor. What a joke.
Do they still pre-announce the audits?

And yet my center has yet to pass an audit within the last 3 years... somebody give my manager a raise!

Dragon

Package Center Manager

Swordfish - you would be the most bored steward in my center - I guess that is why there are none in my center, but the other center in my building has two - but if you did bring something to my attention that was wrong - not a want - you could be assured an honest resolution.

SWORDFISH

Swordfish - you would be the most bored steward in my center - I guess that is why there are none in my center, but the other center in my building has two - but if you did bring something to my attention that was wrong - not a want - you could be assured an honest resolution.

Peace and boredem would be great. Thats a good model center. Teach the rest of them that. Im only a steward because Im needed. Ours used to be alot more like that. I think how the center manager handles his job has alot to do w/ it but thats JMO.

SWORDFISH

I travel alot as well and I dont disagree. I have found places that are very good and places that are not. I do however disagree that alot of places arent facing the same kind of abuse.
I would also say that an outsider is not going to see as much as someone that knows people will see. If I see a UPS suit I really dont have any interest in talking to them. They have created and unsafe, untrusting air for me. So the people that are not like that will still meet my walls whether they deserve it or not.
I also dont give alot of weight to any investigation done by UPS due to their employee is always at fault mentality. For instance we had a driver last week that had 2 people run from the opposite side of the street to get a package for thier neighbor from him. His view of them was blocked by the P1000 so he would not be able to see them as he went back to his truck. They ran infront of the truck as he was leaving to try to stop him so they could get the package. He then bumped the lady very very lightly on the leg w/ the bumper. No injurys nor was it an accident. Should he have probably seen them yes and he clearly did because he didnt run her over. We all know that its pedal to the metal off the line. The supe just totally ripped him a new one for the situation. Telling him hes going to kill someone. Yet UPS says nothing about the morons that run in front of the UPS truck or the fact that they j walked to get across the street. They simply state that we are professionals and everything that happens is our fault. Its always we should have known or saw it coming and we are going to end up killing someone. This info is based on info from the driver and the UPS investigation.