Sticking it out or Different Direction?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Joseph Major Lovelace, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Im 18 and would like to become a package car driver eventually. I thinking on just staying just till I get through college becomes Ive heard people working for 10-15 years before they are drivers. To me thats way to long. When I finish Tech School I have a job already lined up at Lilly Company (a forklift repair company). What do you guys think is it worth sticking it out at UPS or just going a different way once the opportunity comes by?
  2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Forklift repair sounds like a solid job, although I would think it has it's ups and downs.
  3. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

When are you going to finish Tech School ??? Unless it's in the next couple of months and you have a written contract with Lilly you don't have a job lined up just yet. You have prospects of a job lined up...
  4. Buck Fifty

Buck Fifty New Member

Which would be a whole lot better than the ins and outs at ups. If ya know what im saying.
  5. DainGrant

DainGrant New Member

Run!!!! Get as far away from ups as possible good luck in ur endevours kid!!! Will save u from using a walker later on....:eek:
  6. over9five

over9five Senior Member Staff Member

How much money does a fork truck guy with a college degree make?
  7. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

The OP misspoke in his post, confusing the terms Tech School and college. He should make $20-25/hr.
  8. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

That sounds pretty good to me and with a lot less headaches.
  9. iruhnman630

iruhnman630 Active Member

Take advantage of the opportunity to work yourself through school, then.....

10. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

This is sound advice and when the time comes, choose the fork for you.
  11. gorilla75jdw

gorilla75jdw Active Member

run , FOREST , runnnnnn !!!!
  12. As I see it.....let's say 15 year'll be 33........probably good and tired of greasy fork lift trucks. I can't imagine starting as a driver at 33........not to mention you'll have to work two jobs for 15 years waiting for your pkg job......given what UPS is like.......take the greasy fork trucks......
  13. CaliforniaPaul

CaliforniaPaul Active Member

Did he graduate from Fork U??