still laid-off?

mainebrown

hey guys, just wondering how your center is doing...have any of your cover drivers started driving again?...vacations are picking up soon here in maine, ..although they cut all air drivers, so it sucks for them...

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Of the 5 FT drivers that are below me 4 are on lay-off and 1 is on disability. We had 14 out of 17 rtes out yesterday.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
We still have feeder drivers laid off. Calling some back for next week and some more for following week but not everyone is getting back to feeders. Probably bottom 10 guys stuck in hub.:sick:

evilleace

Our bottom 2 cover guys are still laid off almost every day they have been telling them since march that vacations will pick up soon and they will be driving again both have barely 1 yr. seniority though.

brownrodster

I heard a rumor that a couple of our lowest seniority drivers quit because they haven't worked in so long. Our laid off drivers aren't allowed to work in the warehouse. They have to draw unemployment and look for new jobs.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Here, all cover drivers are in evening local sort / pre-load. None are driving.

Large percentage of FT drivers routes cut, then balance of drivers get 11-12 hour plans. Makes your head hurt trying to make financial sense out of it (Maybe Sat Driver can explain how it makes sense?)

Have not seen one happy person at work for a long, long time. Very bad atmosphere.

Silver lining? Arms & Shoulders are enormous....

Dustyroads

We're lucky in Kansas, at our center every driver is working. We had three drivers retire last year, but they've all been replaced with new ones.

rod

Retired 22 years
my old center had 4 drivers retire last year-- none of those has been replaced and 3 more are layed off. Pretty sad for a 29-30 driver center.

kingOFchester

Large percentage of FT drivers routes cut, then balance of drivers get 11-12 hour plans. Makes your head hurt trying to make financial sense out of it (Maybe Sat Driver can explain how it makes sense?)

Have not seen one happy person at work for a long, long time. Very bad atmosphere.

Silver lining? Arms & Shoulders are enormous....

I have been trying to figure this out as well. Here is the way I have computed the figures:

Scenario 1:
3 Drivers going out with 10.7 hours of work each = 365.00 in overtime.
The cover driver that is laid off is also being paid 136.80 to work the inside doing a double/split shift.
Total spent by UPS 501.80 plus bennies/workman’s comp and the like

Scenerio 2:
If they added another route to cover the same "overtime"...the work could be done by a cover driver for 136.80. In my building they would then need to hire 2 part timers to fill the vacancies left by the laid off driver being returned to work. The newly hired parttimers pay alone would be an increase expense of 76.00. This brings our growing expense to 206.80. This does not include workman’s comp and payroll taxes. Employment tax for UPS is probably around 6%....Workman’s comp around 7.5 and unemployment around 6. Grand total 19.5% of 76 around 14.50. So add the 14.50 to the 206.80 you get 221.30. UPS also has to pay into the pension plan for the new PART TIME employee's and that would cost around 60.00. Grand total 281.30. I am sure there are a few other expenses I am missing. At this point it would cost UPS 220 LESS to add the driver. But I did not take into consideration the cost of the additional truck, insurance, gas and any other expenses.

rod

Retired 22 years
I have been trying to figure this out as well. Here is the way I have computed the figures:

Scenario 1:
3 Drivers going out with 10.7 hours of work each = 365.00 in overtime.
The cover driver that is laid off is also being paid 136.80 to work the inside doing a double/split shift.
Total spent by UPS 501.80 plus bennies/workman’s comp and the like

Scenerio 2:
If they added another route to cover the same "overtime"...the work could be done by a cover driver for 136.80. In my building they would then need to hire 2 part timers to fill the vacancies left by the laid off driver being returned to work. The newly hired parttimers pay alone would be an increase expense of 76.00. This brings our growing expense to 206.80. This does not include workman’s comp and payroll taxes. Employment tax for UPS is probably around 6%....Workman’s comp around 7.5 and unemployment around 6. Grand total 19.5% of 76 around 14.50. So add the 14.50 to the 206.80 you get 221.30. UPS also has to pay into the pension plan for the new PART TIME employee's and that would cost around 60.00. Grand total 281.30. I am sure there are a few other expenses I am missing. At this point it would cost UPS 220 LESS to add the driver. But I did not take into consideration the cost of the additional truck, insurance, gas and any other expenses.

No extra cost for the truck-- its one of many sitting idle in the back lot.

UPS is self insured so that wouldn't figure in unless the driver had an accident.

Other than wages -gas is about all to figure in.

Hangingon

No lay offs here, added 4 FT drivers so far this year, and a bid list for reg temps is up. We may have another opening soon, one of our drivers got an Article 7 for delivering 5 minutes early. He has one of those window deliveries, between 11 and 1, and delivered it at 10:55. Guess we'll see how that one turns out.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
I heard a rumor that a couple of our lowest seniority drivers quit because they haven't worked in so long. Our laid off drivers aren't allowed to work in the warehouse. They have to draw unemployment and look for new jobs.
Are you UPS Freight or UPS?

S

speeddemon

No layoffs here. Trouble with over 9.5s. Need a couple of drivers but they wont hire. Grievence mula is nice.

Re-Raise

No lay offs here, added 4 FT drivers so far this year, and a bid list for reg temps is up. We may have another opening soon, one of our drivers got an Article 7 for delivering 5 minutes early. He has one of those window deliveries, between 11 and 1, and delivered it at 10:55. Guess we'll see how that one turns out.

Did he record it as closed at 10:55 ? I don't understand how he is in trouble for delivering 5 minutes early if they received their packages.

ih8tbrn

Banned

And yet people at UPS believe it is the end all of jobs. I finally had enough and gave them the big Eff U 2 weeks ago. Now I'm a happy person again. It's been so long since I haven't been miserable that it's a strange feeling to enjoy life. I used UPS to become debt free, 3 miserable years, but I suppose it was worth it. Good luck to you all.:peaceful:

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Send me your address, I've got some rose-colored glasses I can send you.

Hangingon

Did he record it as closed at 10:55 ? I don't understand how he is in trouble for delivering 5 minutes early if they received their packages.

They have a window of 11:00 to 12:30 that UPS has agreed to deliver to them. Driver was a bit ahead and didn't check the time before hitting stop complete. Stop was completed at 10:55 so he was out of compliance. Sup said since UPS will have to give back the shipping charges if the company asks for it ($2K) they are coming down hard on him. He's still on Article 7 but working.