stupid people

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Dealing with the public is like that. Guessing you must be a relativley young person. Get some humility or find a new career. Be a fountain not a drain !

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Yes you will run into them EVERY SINGLE DAY.
And if you are on the same route you will see them every single day.
Just be humble, wait for them to sign, and chalk it up to I will be making X number of dollars shortly and they will be making half or less. Makes it much easier.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
I love this post, I myself dont do stops to fat people I only do stops to people who are good looking. LOL

I once had a customer call in a complaint on a sup. who was doing a ride along, he was rude to her and pretty much anyone else who he talked to.

It was funny they asked that he never come back to their store again, as best as I know he is not allowed to go to that store to this day.

I think you are getting ride today to find out if you are not good enough as a driver, but you may have a future in mgmt.

satellitedriver

I had a center manager tell me many years ago he'd rather 'seperate the wheat from the chaff' during the first 30 to eliminate any potential future Customer problems. I guess the times have changed.
Times have changed.
When I was a rookie in the 80's a center manager actually said these words in a PCM to inspire the troops to work harder and faster.
"If you are not getting customer complaints, you are not doing your job right."

He lasted less than a year.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
It is pointless to allow yourself to become angry with stupid people....because long after you have resolved your anger issues, they will still be stupid.

Something I learned after being on the same route for 17 years is that, like it or not, you are going to have to find away to deal with people that you dont like and dont agree with. Sometimes, that means apologizing even if you dont feel that you are in the wrong in order to smooth things so that you can continue doing your job.

You might consider stepping back and taking an honest look at your own behavior. The fact that you are obsessed with this persons obesity even though it is completely irrelevant to the situation tells me that perhaps you are letting some of your own biases and predjudices affect how you are dealing with this customer.

dillweed

Lots of points covered already that I had considered but here's one more. When I drove some Sat air I found that some customers seemed disgusted. Finally occurred to me that I was new, didn't know their routine and was slower than their normal driver. Most people were nice but a few, probably those in a hurry or with personal problems, got a bit rude at times. So, as a new driver running various routes get used to people who are not as impressed with you as you are with yourself.

bigbrownhen

Very well stated Sober.

I am a "people" person, so I tend to get along with just about anybody. There have been a few customers than I dont really care for, but I still smile and be polite. We have all had someone complain about something. If there is anything in the complaint you can improve upon, do so, if not, dont give it anonther thought.

You said there have been "other issues" with this hotel. Were they with you or other drivers? If this customer complains alot, has the 800 number on speed dial, there won't be much to worry about. I can't see a customer calling in a complaint and demanding you not be allowed on the property again the first time they were offended. Just take a good, honest look at the situation. Yes, we are in a hurry, but not to the point to be rude to our customers.

over9five

Staff member
I don't really like anybody!

BUT....... You can still be a professional at work. I smile and do the small talk with everyone. Many customers used to say, "Over, you're always so happy!". To which I would answer truthfully, "It's all an act!".

They didn't know I was serious....

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Average IQ is 100. When surveyed, nearly everyone rates themselves as average or above. 49.999% are less than average and most of those with less than average IQ don't know it. In other words, many people think its the other people that are stupid when they are actually part of the same group.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
how was that rude 728ups? she was obese super obese and i dont throw parcels when a package weighs 60 pounds its going to make a sound when you set it down, they get mad because i rush in and scan and ask for sig, they get mad because i dont skip in happy as a clown, i have 30 next day air to get off the truck before 12 a lot of people dont realize we have to go go go

Okay, you have me scratching my head.

30 airs?

Due by 12 ????

If air was due by 12 then 30 airs would B easy but they R not due by 12. They didn't give out a relaxed commit time yet.

I due agree though that we get to see some stupid people, but we also get to C some good people out there as well.

I have some stupid people stories and will post later of them.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Okay, you have me scratching my head.

30 airs?

Due by 12 ????

If air was due by 12 then 30 airs would B easy but they R not due by 12. They didn't give out a relaxed commit time yet.

I due agree though that we get to see some stupid people, but we also get to C some good people out there as well.

I have some stupid people stories and will post later of them.

Commit time is based on zip code and is not 10:30 in all areas.