Supena for court

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
What needs to be used to take time off if court ordered to appear so that option days and vacation days are not used
Show your manager the supoena and say you need the day off to go to court. You’re not required to explain the legal details. Why not ask your steward rather than a bunch of strangers on the internet?

The Bob

I have supena for court. Witness in a criminal case. No me personally. Not anything to do with work. Reason I ask if I present supena my team will try to use option days or move a vacation. I dont want this. I'm not concerned with being paid. I just dont want my days used. And as for asking my Stewart. well hes not the sharpest knife plus he has a tendency to run his mouth. I dont want my business out all over. So sincerely any advise I'll accept. Thank you.

542thruNthru

I have supena for court. Witness in a criminal case. No me personally. Not anything to do with work. Reason I ask if I present supena my team will try to use option days or move a vacation. I dont want this. I'm not concerned with being paid. I just dont want my days used. And as for asking my Stewart. well hes not the sharpest knife plus he has a tendency to run his mouth. I dont want my business out all over. So sincerely any advise I'll accept. Thank you.
First check your state laws on subpoenas. In my state employers are required to allow you unpaid time off of work due to jury duty service or if you were subpoenaed to court as a witness.

Contact your local and speak with your business agent also. He/she will let you know if subpoenas are covered under jury duty. So you may get paid for taking the time. They can also answer any questions you may have and won't spread your business.

quad decade guy

Well, a cursory google revealed this: At least in my state......State Law prohibits discharge for basically having to go to court.
Show your manager the supoena and say you need the day off to go to court. You’re not required to explain the legal details. Why not ask your steward rather than a bunch of strangers on the internet?
So, this is good advice(in my opinion)^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
except the steward part. He/She doesn't need to know. I would think with the above, nothing has to be used or could be forced.
Pretty sure this isn't the first time for UPS. Now, a bigger question might be for insurance etc. Depending on how long the trial lasted or whatever....

The Bob

I'm aware the supena covers the being off. But I have my days off and vacations all set on another business. so I cant move them. My ctr team will insist or has in the past. I do not want this. I just want the days off. No pay is required. I dont expect pay.

542thruNthru

I'm aware the supena covers the being off. But I have my days off and vacations all set on another business. so I cant move them. My ctr team will insist or has in the past. I do not want this. I just want the days off. No pay is required. I dont expect pay.
That's why I said check your state laws. I believe you can take unpaid time off per Alabama's Crime Victim Leave laws.

Personally I'd tell my manager that I am taking unpaid time off for a subpoena. If they insist it's paid tell them you have no time left and that the state law doesn't require you to take paid time off.

Johney

Alabama. I was told 2 weeks

You really want to be paid for this time or at least coded correctly. Not sure how it works where you are , but most place's you have to show at least one report a week for your insurance to be covered. two weeks of scheduled off could bite you in the ass.

clean hairy

Just show your boss the order to appear in court and you have to "schedule off" for that day.
If you get any flack, contact the court, and they will set him or her straight in a hurry!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
What needs to be used to take time off if court ordered to appear so that option days and vacation days are not used
Why not fill us in in general what the subpoena is all about?

giphy.gif