Sups working during peak season?

C

chuchu

The union is not the end all, be all of our existence.
Without it you will give up st least $10-15 per hour and be on HMOs.
Just because youre out of the hunt for a full time job doesn't mean you can forget the employees under you in seniority that get screwed out of work.
I'm thankful for your fellow workers that you're not a steward.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When I left the service I did apply for a job at UPS; however, I did not apply for the job with the union in mind. I didn't know anything about the union when I applied. Yes, the compensation and benefits that I enjoy are union-negotiated but there is more to life than the words in a contract.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
When I left the service I did apply for a job at UPS; however, I did not apply for the job with the union in mind. I didn't know anything about the union when I applied. Yes, the compensation and benefits that I enjoy are union-negotiated but there is more to life than the words in a contract.
What does that mean, "more to life than words in a contract"??? Really???
I have to disagree.
We are participants in many "contracts" that govern most aspects of our lives.
We are held to the terms of these "contracts" by people and entities in both our personal and professional lives.
Conversely, we hold these same people accountable for their portions of these agreements.
If you think about it Dave, there really isn't much more to life than words in a "contract".
They govern most everything we do.

C

chuchu

There are thousands of your fellow employees that are profoudly thankful that you have absolutely no part in our contract negotiations.
Either you're part of the strength of this contract or you are a spineless stumbling block. Survey says?

C

chuchu

Someday you may be in a position where all your butt kissing won't buy your job back and then you'll see the benefit of words in a contract.
The part timers in our building have more backbone than you.

Nimnim

The Nim
When federal law and DOT regulations are involved I'm willing to side with the company a bit. If someone is slated to drive then the hours of service should be dedicated to driving not inside operations. This can potentially help other union brothers as they could get the time since they're not limited to the same restrictions a driver is and as such could work the hours without negatively impacting the customers we all work for.

The company can hire an extra 100 people for a shift and ask for as many doubles as they can, but if 20 of the seasonals show up and they still need 10 people after all the doubles work go ahead and work some sups. UPS isn't going to shoot themselves in the foot letting drivers work inside so they run out of hours to deliver if they can just pay out some grievances to cover the inside work and still have the drivers they think they need to deliver.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Would you say the same thing if they decided not to pay you your pension when you were ready to retire? After all according to you there's more to life than money.

That is until you have none, life starts to get harder.

BrownChoice

It would help if some if not most of the local BA's werent in bed with the company.
Thankfully, ive been doubling pre- load plus delivering working up to the max of 13.5(14) hours a day most days last couple weeks. I still catch em with their di&@s in their hand though.

Ouch

[quoteateNYUPSer, post: 1234594, member: 12570"]When I left the service I did apply for a job at UPS; however, I did not apply for the job with the union in mind. I didn't know anything about the union when I applied. Yes, the compensation and benefits that I enjoy are union-negotiated but there is more to life than the words in a contract.[/quote]
So my question to you is would you have still applied if it were non union today and your top out rate was 15 an hour with no benefits? Doing the job your doing today?

BrownChoice

However, i really dont think the supes that are doing the work actually want to. But that theyre being forced to. So much so that theyll avoid you as much as possible hoping youll leave the building. Im willing to bet if not asked to deliver after preload and one was to sit outside in their car, theyd sure as sheet see a supe drive off with a package car chalk full to be delivered!

Stonefish

How does stating BA's are in bed with the company have anything to do with this? That is a BS statement without facts. If you have facts you should bring charges.
Bubblehead, ChuChu and BUG said it best.
Every year for the last 27 years UPS acts like it is their first peak saying we are over planned. They cry and try to harass a driver when they are over allowed but they can't meet planned every year. Fire the supervisor who blew the plans.
The fact is staffing is their responsibility not the union's. If they hired more permanent employees when peak comes the seasonal employees wouldn't be such an issue. We wouldn't be working so many hours the rest of the year if they hired more. Don't blame the union when the language is there for you to use but you don't have the nerve to file on it.

You are the union and if you feel it's weak or not doing the right things look in the mirror it's you.

Stonefish

Neither are you and your half baked opinions.
The problem is your talking with some company runner who thinks he doesn't need the Union. You know, you've represented them over the years. When they get fired for running a red light and hitting a car or signing for packages then they are your buddy until you get their jobs back. After you go to bat for them they forget who you are and complain when the dues come out of their checks. Don't let Dave frustrate you he is a company guy they can do no wrong until he doesn't get hid bonus because he had a breakdown then he'll come to you to file a grievance.