Sups working during peak season?

Ouch

The problem is your talking with some company runner who thinks he doesn't need the Union. You know, you've represented them over the years. When they get fired for running a red light and hitting a car or signing for packages then they are your buddy until you get their jobs back. After you go to bat for them they forget who you are and complain when the dues come out of their checks. Don't let Dave frustrate you he is a company guy they can do no wrong until he doesn't get hid bonus because he had a breakdown then he'll come to you to file a grievance.
Well said.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Don't let Dave frustrate you he is a company guy they can do no wrong until he doesn't get hid bonus because he had a breakdown then he'll come to you to file a grievance.
I've been reading Upstate's posts for years and his views reflect self-interest and what he feels is right in a situation.
He impresses me as NOT being a Teamster goon or a UPS patsy.
It is always about himself which is what people seem to get upset about all the time.

Stonefish

I've been reading Upstate's posts for years and his views reflect self-interest and what he feels is right in a situation.
He impresses me as NOT being a Teamster goon or a UPS patsy.
It is always about himself which is what people seem to get upset about all the time.
I'm not sure what a Teamster goon is.
That is the problem with some individuals these days. It's all about them and they don't care about anyone else until it affects them then they want to claim to be a union person. UPSTATE is not a union person.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'm not sure what a Teamster goon is.
That is the problem with some individuals these days. It's all about them and they don't care about anyone else until it affects them then they want to claim to be a union person. UPSTATE is not a union person.
Which I think he has posted at least a hundred times.

PS - I think a Teamster Goon is analogous to a company runner or UPS patsy.

Stonefish

The problem is a teamster goon is a fictitious character like big foot I've seen several runners in action they are scary creatures

C

chuchu

When federal law and DOT regulations are involved I'm willing to side with the company a bit. If someone is slated to drive then the hours of service should be dedicated to driving not inside operations. This can potentially help other union brothers as they could get the time since they're not limited to the same restrictions a driver is and as such could work the hours without negatively impacting the customers we all work for.

The company can hire an extra 100 people for a shift and ask for as many doubles as they can, but if 20 of the seasonals show up and they still need 10 people after all the doubles work go ahead and work some sups. UPS isn't going to shoot themselves in the foot letting drivers work inside so they run out of hours to deliver if they can just pay out some grievances to cover the inside work and still have the drivers they think they need to deliver.
Then the company should hire more inside employees.

They've played the game too long to claim ignorance. You know it's true. Nothing has changed.

C

chuchu

It would help if some if not most of the local BA's werent in bed with the company.
Thankfully, ive been doubling pre- load plus delivering working up to the max of 13.5(14) hours a day most days last couple weeks. I still catch em with their di&@s in their hand though.
What local?

C

chuchu

With a cigar and they wear ties. And leave parts of your favorite horse on your bed.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
With a cigar and they wear ties. And leave parts of your favorite horse on your bed.
Haven't seen any of those but the one's I've run across were pretty intimidating and a bit crazy ... I got the feeling they would just as soon kill you as to look at you. Some of the most uncomfortable people to be around I have ever met.

C

chuchu

Haven't seen any of those but the one's I've run across were pretty intimidating and a bit crazy ... I got the feeling they would just as soon kill you as to look at you. Some of the most uncomfortable people to be around I have ever met.
Just kidding Hoax.

Some take pride in making you feel uncomfortable. You've got to be good at something.

Nimnim

The Nim
Then the company should hire more inside employees.

They've played the game too long to claim ignorance. You know it's true. Nothing has changed.

Yes they've played this game, they're not going to hire more than they need expecting some not to show up. They know they can get away with hiring just what they expect to need and if most of them quit because it sucks to be a seasonal even more than a new hire they'll work sups because the penalty from grievances is less than the potential overhiring or loss of business. They'll keep doing it as well because the union really doesn't care because in many locations they're still getting money from enough of the seasonals through initiation fees and dues and they get to play the good guy card of fighting for the sup working grievances during peak.

Is it right? No, but nothing is going to change because both the union and the company benefit and it's just the hourlies that have to put up with the results.

Stonefish

Those "Teamster Goons" you speak of were elected by the membership which we worked with. They were totally fine and some were even our friends. Now that they are in office they are goons. Some people are just afraid of their own shadows and can't stand up for themselves so they look to blame others for not having the nerve to stand up and fight for what's right. If they weren't in office would they still be a goon? I think not.
I love how anti-union people want to live in the past.

Stonefish

Yes they've played this game, they're not going to hire more than they need expecting some not to show up. They know they can get away with hiring just what they expect to need and if most of them quit because it sucks to be a seasonal even more than a new hire they'll work sups because the penalty from grievances is less than the potential overhiring or loss of business. They'll keep doing it as well because the union really doesn't care because in many locations they're still getting money from enough of the seasonals through initiation fees and dues and they get to play the good guy card of fighting for the sup working grievances during peak.

Is it right? No, but nothing is going to change because both the union and the company benefit and it's just the hourlies that have to put up with the results.
They usually have more than they need in the hubs then every day they ask people when they walk in the door if they want to go home and they do. They language in the NMA provides for a guarantee even if you voluntarily go home but people don't exercise their rights. When they go home supervisors work and you blame the union. In every operation there is a percentage of expected call offs, workers comp, disability, NCNS or whatever else. Again it is the obligation of the employer to staff their operation not the union.
You say the union doesn't care because they are getting the dues and initiation fees which is inaccurate in my opinion. If you file a grievance you will get paid if you have a valid grievance.
You are correct in saying nothing will change but it is not because of the union officials it is because certain members allow it to happen and just want to complain. I have won several grievances regarding supervisors working.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Those "Teamster Goons" you speak of were elected by the membership which we worked with. They were totally fine and some were even our friends. Now that they are in office they are goons. Some people are just afraid of their own shadows and can't stand up for themselves so they look to blame others for not having the nerve to stand up and fight for what's right. If they weren't in office would they still be a goon? I think not.
I love how anti-union people want to live in the past.
I don't think these were elected officials.
I've never had any problems or noticed untoward with anyone from the teamster office or stewards.

I assume these people were brought in by the Teamsters to come out to UPS facilities to rabble-rouse and create havoc. Teamster employees said they were not local ... I assumed they were from Ohio!

Stonefish

I don't think these were elected officials.
I've never had any problems or noticed untoward with anyone from the teamster office or stewards.

I assume these people were brought in by the Teamsters to come out to UPS facilities to rabble-rouse and create havoc. Teamster employees said they were not local ... I assumed they were from Ohio!
I have no idea what you are talking about but what the heck is wrong with Ohio you're killing me
You know your a closet Buckeye fan

Stonefish

This is not true---you waive your right to the guarantee when you voluntarily go home.
NO I am 100% correct. If a part-time employee goes home sick or asks to go home they waive their right to the 3 1/2 hour guarantee. If the company asks you if you want to go home and you voluntarily do so you are guaranteed 3 hours. If they force you to go home you are guaranteed 3 1/2 hours. That is the NM language read it you might learn something