Taken out of service

UPSGUY72

Yes.

Central Region Language.... Article 11 - Part-Time Employees, Section 5.

My Local has 3 routes, that have year round helpers. It's an option that has to be mutually agreed too.

A previous administration allowed the company the right. I don't agree with it.... but the deal was made. In exchange for what.... I don't know.

-Bug-

Instead of putting more drivers on the road they have helper getting paid less than FT driver rate doing driver work year round. That's a problem that you should see get addressed in this contract for your area...

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Bug, is it safe to assume the helpers are not making driver pay?
Correct.

We even had to file a grievance, on behalf of the affected employees.... because the company tried to "freeze" their wages. IE: no raise.

Instead of putting more drivers on the road they have helper getting paid less than FT driver rate doing driver work year round. That's a problem that you should see get addressed in this contract for your area...

Absolutely.

-Bug-

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Yes.

Central Region Language.... Article 11 - Part-Time Employees, Section 5.

My Local has 3 routes, that have year round helpers. It's an option that has to be mutually agreed too.

A previous administration allowed the company the right. I don't agree with it.... but the deal was made. In exchange for what.... I don't know.

-Bug-

JUST BECAUSE SOME IDIOT MAY HAVE AGREED TO IT IN THE PAST DOES NOT MEAN YOUR LOCAL HAS TO CONTINUE TO AGREE TO IT. That is something that should be adressed at the end of every peak season. Here they have asked for the last couple of years to continue helpers for the two weeks after peak to cover the cyber peak and returns volume. It was allowed one year, not the next. Put a stop to that crap and put some more full time drivers on the street!!

packageguy

You should sit with your steward and union, tell them that you had a helper and work was getting done, now they are holding you accountable to do the same job in the same time with no helper...

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
I haven't made full time seniority yet. but I been put on 9 different routes, and done them all cold, and there all different, and crushed rvery one of them. Running atleast 150 clicks under on all of them, and thats taking my hour lunch. I really think I'm the best.

It's a shame that the contract doesn't allow for a higher wage rate for a hard working individual like this.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
It's a shame that the contract doesn't allow for a higher wage rate for a hard working individual like this.

Take him under your wing into management, seems he has the "I'm better than anyone else attitude already". By scratching that much on 9 different routes I would venture to assume he's also not doing by the methods. Not accusing him of anything but where there's smoke, there's usually fire.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

I love guys like that, we could use a couple in our center. Can't do anything about the higher wage rate but I'll chip in for a cup of coffee and a donut.

ssharpe

I had a run last year, but was fired (stress out and made a stupid mistake). I was hired back and trained on a run, which I thought I was going to keep because I was doing it for the two weeks my manager was on vacation, but my manager doesn't want me to have it. (he told me) even thought I was doing good on the run. So now I'm a floater.

ssharpe

You should sit with your steward and union, tell them that you had a helper and work was getting done, now they are holding you accountable to do the same job in the same time with no helper...
I had a run last year, but was fired (stress out and made a stupid mistake). I was hired back and trained on a run, which I thought I was going to keep, but my manager doesn't want me to have it. (he told me) I was doing good on the run actually but now I'm a floater. The union steward knows of the tension, threatening and the intimidation environment that the employees are having to deal with because of the manager. It's been ongoing for two years. Not just me but most drivers. I find it hard to keep up with the scratch (being a floater) I am not the faster guy around. Some of the trucks are so badly unorganized that I can't wrap my head around it.

My question is, can they fire me if I am unable to keep up?
They have given me a five day suspension for going over 12 and the threats and grievances just keep coming.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I had a run last year, but was fired (stress out and made a stupid mistake). I was hired back and trained on a run, which I thought I was going to keep, but my manager doesn't want me to have it. (he told me) I was doing good on the run actually but now I'm a floater. The union steward knows of the tension, threatening and the intimidation environment that the employees are having to deal with because of the manager. It's been ongoing for two years. Not just me but most drivers. I find it hard to keep up with the scratch (being a floater) I am not the faster guy around. Some of the trucks are so badly unorganized that I can't wrap my head around it.

My question is, can they fire me if I am unable to keep up?
They have given me a five day suspension for going over 12 and the threats and grievances just keep coming.

To many details missing but this job isn't for everyone. You have to either deal with the incompetence that happens frequently with "doing the best you can under the conditions presented" or you're going to hate your time here. Follow your methods as best as you can and let their problems be their problems. If you're going out with 8hours of work and coming back in 12 on several different routes the problem might lie with your methods.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
There is no rule against going over 12. We have guys work over 13 on a regular basis. Tried to discipline a guy for going over 12, nothing came of it. No one has ever been fired for being over allowed. Failure to follow instructions or improper methods will get you every time though!!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I had a run last year, but was fired (stress out and made a stupid mistake). I was hired back and trained on a run, which I thought I was going to keep because I was doing it for the two weeks my manager was on vacation, but my manager doesn't want me to have it. (he told me) even thought I was doing good on the run. So now I'm a floater.

Routes are bid by seniority. They can't just give you a permanent route.