Taking a day off

mixyo

Dispatcher
Kind of a stupid question, I know, but I'm still relatively new to UPS and believe it or not, this is my first real job. So what exactly is the procedure for taking a day or toe off of work? Do I simply have to talk with my supervisor, or is there some mind of formal procedure that needs to take place?

Kind of a stupid question, I know, but I'm still relatively new to UPS and believe it or not, this is my first real job. So what exactly is the procedure for taking a day or toe off of work? Do I simply have to talk with my supervisor, or is there some mind of formal procedure that needs to take place?

How long have you bee n working at UPS? Do you have any sick or personal days?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Check your paystub, any sick time will be listed there. I'm assuming you haven't worked there long enough to get any personal days yet ( less than a year). Regardless of whether you have sick days, if you made book, you can call in sick...just won't get paid. I would ask a coworker what the procedure is for calling in.

cynic

Where I work the PT sup's can't make any decisions on giving people a day off - paid or otherwise. Always has to go up through the FT sup.

One suggestion is asking your PT sup for a day off well in advance of when you want/need it and if you get sent to talk to the FT sup just go in "hat in hand" and ask them if they can help you with a problem, you would appreciate it if you could be given a day off on <DATE> as you have a personal matter to attend to. Could you have the day off please? It puts them in the mindset of helping you vs. giving you something. Just sayin...

Or... you can always call in sick.

UPSGUY72

If you need a couple (2) just calling sick at least one hr before your shift starts. Just tell your booking off or you won't be in they don't need to know why. Then on the day your coming back to work call one hr before your shift starts and tell them your booking back on.

Don't ask they are most likely not going to give it to you and then when you call in you look like a a-hole. If you had a couple of years in with UPS I would say ask and when they told you no you could tell them I guess I have to call in then. But you don't have a lot of time in and you don't want to put a bulls eye on you.

Last edited:
If you need a couple (2) just calling sick at least hr before your shift starts. Just tell your booking off or you won't be in they don't need to know why. Then on the day your coming back to work call one hr before your shift starts and tell them your booking back on.

Don't ask they are most likely not going to give it to you and then when you call in you look like a a-hole. If you have a couple of years in with UPS I would say ask and when they told you no you could tell them I guess I have to call in then. But you don't have a lot of time in and you don't want to put a bulls eye on you.
Thats really good advice..........I didnt think of it from that angle.....I lost my brain for a second, thinking he might have a sup that is a human being.......forgot who we worked for.........lol

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Thats really good advice..........I didnt think of it from that angle.....I lost my brain for a second, thinking he might have a sup that is a human being.......forgot who we worked for.........lol
Some pt sups are humans...but they can't approve time off without clearing it with the center manager. And center manager's ain't human so much as mindless, heartless drones of the brown machine.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

​I have a buddy that took his toe off with a lawn mower. My advice is not to do that.

Use a sick day. try to plan your todo list so that you may take more than one day. If you call in sick for 3 days straight its one infraction. and no, you dont need a doctors note. You only need to KNOW YOUR RIGHTS! READ THE CONTRACT! When they ask I say " I just didn't feel well.

UPSGUY72

Use a sick day. try to plan your todo list so that you may take more than one day. If you call in sick for 3 days straight its one infraction. and no, you dont need a doctors note. You only need to KNOW YOUR RIGHTS! READ THE CONTRACT! When they ask I say " I just didn't feel well.

It's not and infractions when you call out sick it's called a sick day and 3 days in a row out only count as 1 occurrence. By calling it an infraction your saying that you did something wrong.

Rawrzxor

It's not and infractions when you call out sick it's called a sick day and 3 days in a row out only count as 1 occurrence. By calling it an infraction your saying that you did something wrong.

So how many occurrences until they start saying, "Hey, you're too sick to work as much as we want you to, so you're fired." Or, until a warning or something?