Talked to a Fed Ex driver

Hedley_Lamarr

Recently, like most of you, I was asked to sit down and write 2 letters to my local elected officials about fedex and the NLRB. This got me thinking. Does the Fed ex driver want to be unionized? So I asked a Fed Ex express driver and was shocked to find out that he did not want to be. He told me that most senior drivers dont want this at all. It turns out that because of the airline distinction they have, they get great prices on airplane tickets as a perk. Also, the senior guys already are at top pay, so thats not an issue. Here is the kicker. He told me that yes we do make more than them, but from what he sees, we work a hell of a lot harder than they do. He is happy. Again, this is just one driver, this is not a wide variety. Just wondering what you guys have heard. Find it funny that we are trying to force something on somebody that doesnt want it.
The Fed Ex Guys I talk to seem to think they're better off without the union....I don't get it...

FedEX 4 Life

Another troll on here. FDX Express people are not flying around the world for almost free. The airlines have made it difficult to fly standby and I have friends who work for the airlines and they have trouble getting on flights all the time. This is a fake story and another troll attempt.

Lol we are all just Fedex trolls making up stuff.I just flew recently for very cheap but no it was just a figment of my imagination.Your friends know everything.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
MrFedex=Biggest phony on this site.Talks all big in the forums but sends me PMs trying to smooch and be my friend talkin bout he has to keep his image up.No wonder hes not allowed to post until a moderator approves it.What a clown.

Another lie...I've never PM'ed you. Also, please answer why you post at Fedexcess.com under the same username yet actually know how to spell there? Same pro-FedEx BS.

FedEX 4 Life

Are you comparing your job at Fedex to a job you had when you were 11?
Nope,ive had many jobs and Fedex is by far the best one ive had.I use to work at Coscto and that might be the only comparable job with Fedex.Costco really takes care of thier employess and puts them first just like Fedex.Costco has a philosophy of being good to the employees and in turn they will take care of the customers.Similar to the PSP philosophy.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Nope,ive had many jobs and Fedex is by far the best one ive had.I use to work at Coscto and that might be the only comparable job with Fedex.Costco really takes care of thier employess and puts them first just like Fedex.Costco has a philosophy of being good to the employees and in turn they will take care of the customers.Similar to the PSP philosophy.
Isn't Costco a union shop? Have you ever worked in a union shop?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I worked at Costco a long time ago and back then there wasnt a union.To be honest ive never been in a union.
That being the case, wouldn't it behoove you to be a little more open minded when it comes to union participation? I mean, you don't really know what can happen. I'm under the impression that your hatred for how Mr FedEx speaks of his distaste of how Mr Smith runs the company, has skewed your idea of unions, in general.

JMHO here, but I don't see unions as the things that keep lazy, non loyal to the company people working. I see them as an entity that help us to get better benefits, salaries and working lives. Not everyone at UPS works like a dog, though some would have you believe it's pure slavery.

FedEX 4 Life

That being the case, wouldn't it behoove you to be a little more open minded when it comes to union participation? I mean, you don't really know what can happen. I'm under the impression that your hatred for how Mr FedEx speaks of his distaste of how Mr Smith runs the company, has skewed your idea of unions, in general.

JMHO here, but I don't see unions as the things that keep lazy, non loyal to the company people working. I see them as an entity that help us to get better benefits, salaries and working lives. Not everyone at UPS works like a dog, though some would have you believe it's pure slavery.
I agree.We are kinda taught here at Fedex that all unions are bad.Managment are always trying to brainwash us in some way but I am smart enough to make my own decisions.I am open minded.I am not against unions.I just dont think Fedex Express needs one.Ground is another story.I dont come on here bashing UPS.I actually really like UPS and use them alot.Its just when people like MrFeGex starts painting a false picture of corruption ,fraud and Fred as an evil man upsets me.I look up to Fred as a good man as it would have been much much easier for him to just layoff all of us but he hasnt done that.Instead mangament including himself all took pay cuts.I dont know too many companies that woul have done that.MrFegex hates anyone who likes thier job.
Part timers at Fedex got it good,thats all Im saying.Would hate to lose it.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I agree.We are kinda taught here at Fedex that all unions are bad.Managment are always trying to brainwash us in some way but I am smart enough to make my own decisions.I am open minded.I am not against unions.I just dont think Fedex Express needs one.Ground is another story.I dont come on here bashing UPS.I actually really like UPS and use them alot.Its just when people like MrFeGex starts painting a false picture of corruption ,fraud and Fred as an evil man upsets me.I look up to Fred as a good man as it would have been much much easier for him to just layoff all of us but he hasnt done that.Instead mangament including himself all took pay cuts.I dont know too many companies that woul have done that.MrFegex hates anyone who likes thier job.
Well said!:peaceful:

upsgrunt

How much of a cut did Fred tell you he was giving himself?

klein

Für Meno :)
I agree with you there Islandgirl (probably Victoria, eh ). I lived with a fedex girl here this year. She was very happy with her job. But, she came home with booklets a few times, always had to do some sort of a test. That us UPS people don't need to do.
Esspecially like you said, the transport of hazerdpous goods, and oversea shipments. She told me, she wouldn't ever wanna do my job though. The hrs beeing soo long. (I never got home before 8pm). And the heavy, bigger packages we do, compared to Fedex.
They had 3 trucks in my area, compared to 2 of UPS . But fedex doesn't like to pay OT, and they go home mostly after 8hrs of work. Fedex trucks also have a/c and radios/cd players installed. Not at UPS.
I sat with her on my lunchbreak at Mac Donalds once... my diad beeps.. pick ups... she asked me why are they comming thru during your lunchbreak ?
She siad ours don't. Once your punched out for lunch. Thats your break, no more pages.
And I probably agree, a little less pay, but easier job, and better treatment... Fedex is a good bet to be.

FedEX 4 Life

In Canada,at the local level,the two jobs between UPS driver and Fedex driver may seem to be one and the same type of job. In some ways they are,but only in driving a truck to deliver are they the same job. The difference is in the freight itself. Where UPS is more like a freight forwarder,Fedex is more document oriented. And,Fedex,because of it's tight controls on hazardous goods,seems to be much better organized with that kind of commodity. Fedex may be a little top heavy as far as management goes,but it is appears to be better organized at the lowly "front-line" employee level. If you are a driver,and have some concerns for a customer,you can realy the info to your sales rep,and they (usually) will go and see the customer to help them overcome whatever problem they may be having. From what I see at UPS,the sales people are not required to 'hold the customer's hand",and try and solve some of the problems they may have. Case in point, I had a complaint about a local cusotmer,they were having billing issues. I relayed the info to my local sales rep,who then emailed someone in accounting,who point blankly said, "they are in arrears,if they can't keep their payments up to catch up,we will not deal with them,and are sending them to collections". The customer WANTS to use UPS,but can't,becuz they are a small company and don't have alot of cash flow. they had workied out some sort of repayment plan with the former UPS collection person,but that person quit,and a new collections person took over,who then changed the payment plan,and was not willing to budge,at all. The collection person agreed this was account that was worth a potential $30K a year for the company,but would not deviate from his payment plan,and therefore,would not help this small company grow and expand,and grow some more,etc.
Anyways,maybe in the States,where UPS air and ground drivers are each handling only air and/or ground freight,it might appear that you and the Fedex guy you share a route with,it looks like the same job. But it really isn't. Because of Fedex's airline status,the rules of the courier game differ greatly.And Fedex has ALOT more rules to begin with that UPS drivers don't have to contend with.
You want a raise?..that Fedex manager now has about a 12 page,very detailed review they must complete,in order for you to get that raise,. And you,as an employee,have alot to do with the size of that raise. You want more money?..You dress the professional part,you come to work everyday,as every sick day counts against you.You turn in those sales leads,you go the extra mile for customers(whether they 'deserve'it or not)..you start helping before you are asked or told..you show initiative. I'm sure there are plenty of UPS'ers that do that too. But your union also protects alot of lazy,selfish workers. At Fedex,if you get fired?..end of story..at UPS,no worries,your union will get you your job back,whether you deserve it or not.
Yes,alot of UPS'ers work WAY harder than the Fedex guy,you also get more per hour at top wage...but you get paid more per hour right from the beginning...no 30 months of waiting to get to top wage. Benefits start the day you start as permanent employee at Fedex. No union dues to pay either.
And then there are the perks,especially the discounted shipping rates,and the interline agreement,which enable every Fedex'er to fly on most regular scheduled airline(not charters)..
UPS may have been around for 102 years,but they keep thinking like a dinosaur,in recognizing the contribution a well,looked after workforce can do for a company. Low turnover being a good point.Every new employee costs a company alot of money to get up to speed,and it takes time to learn all the ropes of a job. If you can keep your employees,that cost goes down...way down..because now,that longer term employee knows how to do the job more efficiently,thereby saving the company time and alot of money.
Companies have to work smarter nowadays,not necessarily harder.
I know exactly what you are saying and I agree completly but there are miserable Fedex workers out there who would proably be miserable at any job.I can hear them crying right now near the time clock talking about how UPS makes way more blah blah.As far as the firing goes,im going to be honest here.Every person ive ever known to get fired from Fedex did it to themself.Fedex has zero tolerance on falsification.I think some folks at Fedex want a union so they can get lazy and still be protceted.

Ups_ER

In Canada,at the local level,the two jobs between UPS driver and Fedex driver may seem to be one and the same type of job. In some ways they are,but only in driving a truck to deliver are they the same job. The difference is in the freight itself. Where UPS is more like a freight forwarder,Fedex is more document oriented. And,Fedex,because of it's tight controls on hazardous goods,seems to be much better organized with that kind of commodity. Fedex may be a little top heavy as far as management goes,but it is appears to be better organized at the lowly "front-line" employee level. If you are a driver,and have some concerns for a customer,you can realy the info to your sales rep,and they (usually) will go and see the customer to help them overcome whatever problem they may be having. From what I see at UPS,the sales people are not required to 'hold the customer's hand",and try and solve some of the problems they may have. Case in point, I had a complaint about a local cusotmer,they were having billing issues. I relayed the info to my local sales rep,who then emailed someone in accounting,who point blankly said, "they are in arrears,if they can't keep their payments up to catch up,we will not deal with them,and are sending them to collections". The customer WANTS to use UPS,but can't,becuz they are a small company and don't have alot of cash flow. they had workied out some sort of repayment plan with the former UPS collection person,but that person quit,and a new collections person took over,who then changed the payment plan,and was not willing to budge,at all. The collection person agreed this was account that was worth a potential $30K a year for the company,but would not deviate from his payment plan,and therefore,would not help this small company grow and expand,and grow some more,etc.
Anyways,maybe in the States,where UPS air and ground drivers are each handling only air and/or ground freight,it might appear that you and the Fedex guy you share a route with,it looks like the same job. But it really isn't. Because of Fedex's airline status,the rules of the courier game differ greatly.And Fedex has ALOT more rules to begin with that UPS drivers don't have to contend with.
You want a raise?..that Fedex manager now has about a 12 page,very detailed review they must complete,in order for you to get that raise,. And you,as an employee,have alot to do with the size of that raise. You want more money?..You dress the professional part,you come to work everyday,as every sick day counts against you.You turn in those sales leads,you go the extra mile for customers(whether they 'deserve'it or not)..you start helping before you are asked or told..you show initiative. I'm sure there are plenty of UPS'ers that do that too. But your union also protects alot of lazy,selfish workers. At Fedex,if you get fired?..end of story..at UPS,no worries,your union will get you your job back,whether you deserve it or not.
Yes,alot of UPS'ers work WAY harder than the Fedex guy,you also get more per hour at top wage...but you get paid more per hour right from the beginning...no 30 months of waiting to get to top wage. Benefits start the day you start as permanent employee at Fedex. No union dues to pay either.
And then there are the perks,especially the discounted shipping rates,and the interline agreement,which enable every Fedex'er to fly on most regular scheduled airline(not charters)..
UPS may have been around for 102 years,but they keep thinking like a dinosaur,in recognizing the contribution a well,looked after workforce can do for a company. Low turnover being a good point.Every new employee costs a company alot of money to get up to speed,and it takes time to learn all the ropes of a job. If you can keep your employees,that cost goes down...way down..because now,that longer term employee knows how to do the job more efficiently,thereby saving the company time and alot of money.
Companies have to work smarter nowadays,not necessarily harder.

Ever thought about using paragraphs? This is really hard to read.

About UPS being a Dinosaur, just wait till my Generation takes over management. ---- JUST WAIT

klein

Für Meno :)
About UPS being a Dinosaur, just wait till my Generation takes over management. ---- JUST WAIT

You know what I really liked about Fedex diads ?
It's almost impossible to misdeliver a package.
It's encoded to go to the correct adress.

i.E. : Have 128 packages going to Walmart, but 1 of them is for a different Walmart location, or a differnt customer alltogether.
Thier diad will make a loud beeping noise, that this package doesn't belong there, and it won't scan it.

And they do have strict policies. It's a non pick-up if a waybill isn't signed.
Or, you'll need to find someone to sign it.
Most cases not a big issue, but drop offs at UPS stores, or other drop offs would be a concerne.

But, getting the diad to Fedex standard, would be getting part of the dinosaur away.