Telematics--backing

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The new "campaign" for this week is to reduce backing to an average of 12.5 backs per driver per day, to cut down on the distance backed, and to eliminate backing exceptions.

These are all worthy goals, but the manner in which Telematics is gathering and interpreting the backing data needs to be addressed.

I have always been taught that a backing exception is when you get into the vehicle, start it, and immediately shift into reverse. Apparently, Telematics also defines a backing exception as any instance where you put the vehicle into reverse within 200 ft of wherever the DIAD was when it last completed a stop.

This makes a guy like me in an industrial park who backs up to a lot of docks look like a spanked ass on the report, especially if he drives a P-7 with swing out doors; Not only do I back to multiple docks that are close together, but I have to stop 3 feet short of the dock, open the doors, and then back up the rest of the way.

This also punishes guys like me who pull pup trailers; the process of hooking, unhooking and installing the stinger in the hitch involves multiple backing exceptions. Also, a guy who backs a pup trailer up to a dock has to back a much longer distance to allow for straightening the trailer out; this is not at all unsafe in an industrial park with docks that are designed for use by semi trucks with 54 foot boxes.

Another peeve; we are taught to curb our wheels when parking on a hill, of which my route has many. When facing uphill, this involves turning your wheels toward the street and then backing up a foot or so to allow he front tires to bite the curb. This counts as a "back" even though what I am really doing is following the correct methods to secure the vehicle and prevent a rollaway.

I had the most backing exceptions and the second highest total number of backs in my center. I only back when absolutely necessary. It would be nice if Telematics could actually interpret what is happening rather than just spitting out a number.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
This also punishes guys like me who pull pup trailers; the process of hooking, unhooking and installing the stinger in the hitch involves multiple backing exceptions.

Sober,
you could do this before clocking in. LOL
Now that's funny.

Perhaps pretzelman can get them to change the parameters in the telematics to get the right metrics.

UPSNewbie

The new "campaign" for this week is to reduce backing to an average of 12.5 backs per driver per day, to cut down on the distance backed, and to eliminate backing exceptions.

These are all worthy goals, but the manner in which Telematics is gathering and interpreting the backing data needs to be addressed.

I have always been taught that a backing exception is when you get into the vehicle, start it, and immediately shift into reverse. Apparently, Telematics also defines a backing exception as any instance where you put the vehicle into reverse within 200 ft of wherever the DIAD was when it last completed a stop.

This makes a guy like me in an industrial park who backs up to a lot of docks look like a spanked ass on the report, especially if he drives a P-7 with swing out doors; Not only do I back to multiple docks that are close together, but I have to stop 3 feet short of the dock, open the doors, and then back up the rest of the way.

This also punishes guys like me who pull pup trailers; the process of hooking, unhooking and installing the stinger in the hitch involves multiple backing exceptions. Also, a guy who backs a pup trailer up to a dock has to back a much longer distance to allow for straightening the trailer out; this is not at all unsafe in an industrial park with docks that are designed for use by semi trucks with 54 foot boxes.

Another peeve; we are taught to curb our wheels when parking on a hill, of which my route has many. When facing uphill, this involves turning your wheels toward the street and then backing up a foot or so to allow he front tires to bite the curb. This counts as a "back" even though what I am really doing is following the correct methods to secure the vehicle and prevent a rollaway.

I had the most backing exceptions and the second highest total number of backs in my center. I only back when absolutely necessary. It would be nice if Telematics could actually interpret what is happening rather than just spitting out a number.

Or if your management team didn't use it in such a way.

overallowed

I don't remember seeing this addresses in any other thread, and hope I'm not too far off base.
Has anyone heard of a center having telematics and NOT having production bonus? Several of us at my center think this whole telematics business is something to slow us down to pay us less bonus. since telematics has been implemented, running under and making bonus has vitrually disappeared.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I don't remember seeing this addresses in any other thread, and hope I'm not too far off base.
Has anyone heard of a center having telematics and NOT having production bonus? Several of us at my center think this whole telematics business is something to slow us down to pay us less bonus. since telematics has been implemented, running under and making bonus has vitrually disappeared.
Sounds like there is a corrolation here. Telematics forces drivers to use proper methods. Takes more time = less under allowed.

No telematics, more cutting corners = more under allowed.

Some how I don't think this has a whole lot to do with UPS not wanting to pay bonus. It is just a benefit of installing telematics.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Sounds like there is a corrolation here. Telematics forces drivers to use proper methods. Takes more time = less under allowed.

No telematics, more cutting corners = more under allowed.

Some how I don't think this has a whole lot to do with UPS not wanting to pay bonus.

I remember the statistics that stated that you were 9 times more likely to have an accident backing than going forward. Accidents cost money, reduce backing, reduce accidents, save money.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I remember the statistics that stated that you were 9 times more likely to have an accident backing than going forward. Accidents cost money, reduce backing, reduce accidents, save money.
I've heard similar stats. Backing accidents are #1 at our center. We have had so many of them here in the last 2 yrs.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I back 35 times a day. Bring it on.

I'm about where you are. After reading about telematics, I counted my backs one day. I backed about 35-40 times out of 145 stops. 6-12? It takes me three backs to squeeze out of the lineup and another one to back out of the building. We don't know yet when this wonderful system will get to my Hub.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Sober
They bring it up for 2 weeks then they go to another "campaign"
Same as over here.

FLAVOR OF THE WEEK

Just do the best you can, and it will be filed away.

outamyway

The new "campaign" for this week is to reduce backing to an average of 12.5 backs per driver per day

Management of all people should know that not all routes are the same.

It's hard not to laugh at that statement:rofl:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Or if your management team didn't use it in such a way.

My management team is actually being quite reasonable and understanding...for now.

Once Corporate starts turning the screws and imposing ever more impossible expectations, however....I have a hunch that their understanding attitude will go away.

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
For the last week or so I have been working on eliminating as many backs as I can. One side effect of this is, I find myself making maneuvers that I ordinarily wouldn't attempt.

One example is a stop of mine on a dead-end street. It has a tiny parking lot (always empty) at the end of it that I used to pull into, then back about 5', and then pull out. Now I u-turn in the lot, but, it's very tight. There's a light pole and a fence that are only inches away from the bumper while turning around.

There's no doubt in my mind, that backing at this stop, and several others on my route, is safer than turning around.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Dizzee, sometimes it is far safer to back than to not. Especially in the old 700/800's. Because of the no power steering in those old trucks I can't make a turn, where the guys wouldn't have any problem.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
12.5?! are these guys bookies?! whats with the .5?
I guess you are supposed to back half way from a start point and stop mid-way to the dock, get out and walk the packages from the truck to the dock:funny: Really driver . . . . the .5 is an oversight by the brain trust who came up with their target number . . . . . should be either 12 or 13 but not in between:knockedout:

pretzel_man

My management team is actually being quite reasonable and understanding...for now.

Once Corporate starts turning the screws and imposing ever more impossible expectations, however....I have a hunch that their understanding attitude will go away.

The system has no way to really know what an acceptable back is vs. an unacceptable one.

So, they programmed in some logic that is probably generally correct. I'm not sure exactly what the rule is, and you may be right about the 200 feet.

I always thought this was okay for measuring general center and driver improvement. It should NOT be used as an absolute measure.

To really know if a backing event was correct, the supervisor should go into Google Earth and overlay the telematics data with the satellite view. Then the supervisor can make the determination instead of the computer.

P-Man