TERMINATED: Walking across a stopped belt!!

JonFrum

When I was PT they told us that only the person who stopped the belt could turn it back on. So whenever a belt shut off all the sups would start yelling to get that belt back on I would refuse to start it when they yelled at me to start it. I'd just say "I didn't turn it off I can't start it" and it would piss them off. They would go start it themselves despite not being the one to turn it off. Hypocrites.
And at the start of the shift, if a belt has been Locked-Out (with a Master Lock), presumably by a person who is now probably home and asleep in bed, they just use the bolt cutters!!!

iamhuge

Banned
People walk over the belt constantly without it being secured, in our building. MGMT and Hourlies equally. Sounds like another flava of the month to me, better yet, wrong place wrong time. I have never heard of a bulkhead firing or even a warning letter for that matter.
We had a guy lose a foot after getting it stuck in the belt few years back. And have had several warning letters sent for open bulk head doors. Its the ever popular "failure to follow instructions". No firings though.

UPSGUY72

We had a guy lose a foot after getting it stuck in the belt few years back. And have had several warning letters sent for open bulk head doors. Its the ever popular "failure to follow instructions". No firings though.

Just remember YOU CAN"T FIX STUPID

Hmmmm.... I pretty much have the safety quizzes memorized by now and I can't recall any statements about walking across a stopped belt. Let's see here... There is training on the steps to stop and secure a belt, but that doesn't at all address your issue. There is the question on who can unsecure a belt after it has been secured, but that also doesn't apply to this situation. What training have we received to inform us to not walk across a stopped belt?

The training must not be same everywhere. This has never been mentioned in training, PCMs, Online assessments, or otherwise at my center. They have mentioned many times to not walk on a moving belt, but never any mention of walking on an unsecured belt.

You have the quizes memorized? Then you would know the three reasons to secure a belt.

Break a jam
Move a diverter
Walk the belt

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
The guy thought the belt had already been secured. I don't know why some of you keep trying to give him a hard time.
I hope you get your job back.

M

Mike23

Stupid = gets fired:surprised:
Wouldn't that mean we wouldn't have any management left?

If it helps out at all, I regularly see our management team stop the belt and roll over it without it being locked out. Maybe that's only a Canadian thing though since we're all backwards up here ;)

smallsorter

Well, I got my job back yesterday (Tuesday), with the four days off as "time served"! I want to give a big thanks to all of my Teamster brothers and sisters for the kind words of encouragement during such a stressful and scary time. Thanks again.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I recall that back in the 80's , before there was all this safety stuff , we used to do handstands on a moving belt. Now that was fun.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I remember in the later 70"s in Utah and a guy came out looking like sausage meat through a grinder in a moving belt........it's nothing to play around with and the rules are in place for a reason. :dissapointed:

JonFrum

The problem I have with this incident, and others like it, is when the management person is wrong, nothing happens to him. He may not even be formally found wrong. He's not fired or demoted or suspended. Only the employee was put in jeopardy.

With a policeman, for example, if he arrests the wrong person, he can be sued for false arrest. We need a similar provision in the Contract so management is treated just like everyone else in society. That way both parties would be responsible for their actions and decisions.

[Note: I'm pro police. I don't want policemen walking on eggshells. I want them to do their job. But once in a great while, a bad apple turns up, and he needs to be sued.]

- - - - -
Moreluck, Some belts have been removed and replaced with rollers. Other belts that have joints or seams, like where a flat belt meets an inclined belt, have had a metal strip covering the seam so hands and feet and Next Day/Second Day Air Letters can't slip in.