Terminations in 804 begin: 20 drivers fired Monday

Inthegame

I won't relax but I will help you out, although I don't believe you need it.
The IBT has a long history in intervening in Local Union business.

I'm not asking for a pep rally, rather help for 250 brothers and sisters from our ultimate governing body.
It's not too much to ask and it may lay inroads for the future.

Should they can continue to act like spurned lovers?
I'm with you on this one Bubble. We can fight like hell between us, but when someone from the outside messes with our members, we show weakness by not coming to our own members defense.
Hopefully those conversations are already taking place.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I'm with you on this one Bubble. We can fight like hell between us, but when someone from the outside messes with our members, we show weakness by not coming to our own members defense.
Hopefully those conversations are already taking place.
This is my true hope!
We are at all hands on deck status.
Hopefully that is exactly what's going on.
I love being a Teamster and still hold out hope this will all work out.

Is that how it goes in all other locals?
Following this autonomy ideology, shouldn't they quit accepting their per capita then?
Bet that won't happen.

Wouldn't this be a perfect scenario politically for the IBT to ride over the hill, on "the big white horse", to save the day for the TDU local?
It's a huge local in the biggest city in the country?
How is sitting on hands serving anybody's best interest?
How do you know they are sitting on their hands?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I won't relax but I will help you out, although I don't believe you need it.
The IBT has a long history in intervening in Local Union business.

I'm not asking for a pep rally, rather help for 250 brothers and sisters from our ultimate governing body.
It's not too much to ask and it may lay inroads for the future.

Should they can continue to act like spurned lovers?

Don't confuse my assessment, of the situation.... as some sort of "tacit approval".

-Bug-

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Correct me if I'm wrong....

Wasn't this BA terminated from UPS, and his discharge case upheld by an arbitrator ??
-Bug-

The autonomy that Local 804 has is no different than the autonomy that any Local Union has. What may make Local 804 different in the eyes of the current leadership of the International is the fact that it is the home Local of Ron Carey.
More likely that UPS considers that Local 804 is the home local of Ron Carey.
Ron Carey was a disgruntled ex-employee of UPS that used the UPS Teamsters to exact his revenge.
I don't see UPS agreeing to anything the Teamsters ask for as long as Liam is around.
1997 seems like yesterday to many who have a score to settle!
I imagine UPS would be more willing to end this in a negotiated agreement if it were not 804 ... but, of course, no other Local would have pulled this bonehead move.

oldngray

nowhere special
More likely that UPS considers that Local 804 is the home local of Ron Carey.
Ron Carey was a disgruntled ex-employee of UPS that used the UPS Teamsters to exact his revenge.
I don't see UPS agreeing to anything the Teamsters ask for as long as Liam is around.
1997 seems like yesterday to many who have a score to settle!
I imagine UPS would be more willing to end this in a negotiated agreement if it were not 804 ... but, of course, no other Local would have pulled this bonehead move.

I agree with you but it looks unlikely 804 will do anything to Liam. So he gets to keep his job while everyone who listened to him gets fired. If the local took action against Liam I think UPS would be much more lenient towards the drivers but it looks like that won't be happening.

I agree with you but it looks unlikely 804 will do anything to Liam. So he gets to keep his job while everyone who listened to him gets fired. If the local took action against Liam I think UPS would be much more lenient towards the drivers but it looks like that won't be happening.
Or...If they truly had a valid reason to strike before(I have zero knowledge about their contract) Sanction one right the friend. Now! What else do they have to lose...jmho

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I agree 100%! I voted for that "lowly BA" and I will again! Some members tend to forget that we went through some pretty rough years with the previous Local 804 Executive Board. That was tough to take because before them we had Ron Carey. Ron NEVER EVER backed down from UPS! We knew it. UPS knew it. And the IBT knew it. Then Ron was elected President of the International in the early 90's and in 1996 the whole country knew it! The closest thing we have to Ron today is that "lowly BA" who, like Ron, isn't going to back down from UPS. And like Ron, he knows when he's right and he knows what the right thing to do is. Liam is young, smart and he's got Ron Carey written all over him! Stink219, UpstateNYUPSer, you can both throw your meaningless bs from many miles away, but you didn't know Ron and what he stood for and you don't know Liam and what he stands for!
Which is why UPS will not give an inch as long as Liam is in the Teamsters.
Now we see how much a BA is worth to Local 804 management ... more than 250 times the value of a driver.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Which is why UPS will not give an inch as long as Liam is in the Teamsters.
Now we see how much a BA is worth to Local 804 management ... more than 250 times the value of a driver.
BS...if 804 gets rid of Liam....UPS will most likely do nothing. Except sit back in their chair and say...yeah we did the same thing..a few years ago! UPS is gunning for drivers' blood, not just Liam's.

oldngray

nowhere special
I didn't know anyone had to get on their knees for golf! lol
dorf01312013.jpg