Terminations in 804 begin: 20 drivers fired Monday

804 member

The employees in that local love that "lowly BA" because he has fought hard for them. He has clout with the members.
You have nothing in comparison to him in the realm of coworker respect. I wouldn't follow someone like you as a BA and I thank God you're not one.
Quit jabbing those families.
One day, it may be your turn to fight for your job and we can't wait to send you Kleenexes.

Ummm. Wasn't he threatened by a driver this week in the maspeth building? He's not so loved. Word around the buildings is that he shouldn't have a job if the 250 don't.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Johney

Ummm. Wasn't he threatened by a driver this week in the maspeth building? He's not so loved. Word around the buildings is that he shouldn't have a job if the 250 don't.

Sent using BrownCafe App
I watched the (3 min.)video and heard Liam? say at least three times you may get fired for this. Someone said they were out there for 90 minutes. What else did he say in the other hour and 27 minutes that made them think that they wouldn't get fired? Am I missing something?

oldngray

nowhere special
If you were going to work and saw the BA and the other drivers outside would you cross the picket line? You wouldn't know details but would assume the BA knew what he was doing and everything was done according to contract. In my opinion its all on Liam and he just used the drivers to help out his friend that got fired, but at the time those drivers wouldn't know the details.

Johney

If you were going to work and saw the BA and the other drivers outside would you cross the picket line? You wouldn't know details but would assume the BA knew what he was doing and everything was done according to contract. In my opinion its all on Liam and he just used the drivers to help out his friend that got fired, but at the time those drivers wouldn't know the details.
That's what I'm trying to figure out. What else did he say other than you may get fired for this to keep everyone there? From what I saw in the short video I sure as hell would've asked a lot of question's about the possibility of losing my job. In the 97 strike our building had around 150+ drivers and a few drivers went right in said they weren't supporting a strike. Out of 250 not one went back in? I mean more power to them for standing strong, but after hearing "you may get fired" no one asked question's? No one went in? I find that hard to believe. What else did he say?

Edit: Let me add I was not one who crossed in 97.

10 point

If you can show me in the contract where it says I can punch in and then participate in an illegal wildcat strike and expect to keep my job I will stop posting on this subject.
You brought up the contract, saying you don't hide behind it.
You have no reason to run your mouth against drivers in maspeth unless you work there.
Is it because you're master of the obvious....in your own mind?
Glad I'm not in your loop.

Rainman

Its all good.
Too many people online here placing blame. What's done is done. Why not use this thread to have an "online brainstorm" session to come up with some workable ideas that might help save the 250's jobs for them. We have a lot of intelligent people on BC who have honed their debating skills. Let's use these skills to come up with solutions that might work, instead of squabbling amount ourselves. It may or may not work, but at least we will know we made the effort. Anything is better than letting the company further divide us. Since the international has turned it's back on the situation, it's on us.

Any ideas?

Sent using BrownCafe App

Too many people online here placing blame. What's done is done. Why not use this thread to have an "online brainstorm" session to come up with some workable ideas that might help save the 250's jobs for them. We have a lot of intelligent people on BC who have honed their debating skills. Let's use these skills to come up with solutions that might work, instead of squabbling amount ourselves. It may or may not work, but at least we will know we made the effort. Anything is better than letting the company further divide us. Since the international has turned it's back on the situation, it's on us.

Any ideas?

Sent using BrownCafe App
Let the company call a truce. They can say, 804 may have overstepped,but so did the company. Let us find a way to solve our grievances,and move ahead as a company(team) and avoid this problem Iin the future! We are supposed to be on the same,team (company) but I guess that is just a pipe dream!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The IBT seems to be preserving Local 804's right of autonomy.

They made their bed.... now they have to lie in it.

Time will tell.

-Bug-
Is that how it goes in all other locals?
Following this autonomy ideology, shouldn't they quit accepting their per capita then?
Bet that won't happen.

Wouldn't this be a perfect scenario politically for the IBT to ride over the hill, on "the big white horse", to save the day for the TDU local?
It's a huge local in the biggest city in the country?
How is sitting on hands serving anybody's best interest?

Hroller

I have a feeling that the 20 who were fired, were the first batch, with another batch to follow, and then another. 20 here, 20 there, you know what I'm saying?

They made their bed... now they have to lie in it....................................
.........Like it or not...804 is part of the Teamsters,a very large part. If the IBT does not want to back them up, they can choose to look, for different union to represent them! Like it or not! Hoffa is done, finished toast![/quote]

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
If you can show me in the contract where it says I can punch in and then participate in an illegal wildcat strike and expect to keep my job I will stop posting on this subject.
Just curious, where exactly in the contract does it state you can punch in, falsify records and expect to keep your job?? Self righteous _______.

Last edited:

Brown Spider

The employees in that local love that "lowly BA" because he has fought hard for them. He has clout with the members.
You have nothing in comparison to him in the realm of coworker respect. I wouldn't follow someone like you as a BA and I thank God you're not one.
Quit jabbing those families.
One day, it may be your turn to fight for your job and we can't wait to send you Kleenexes.

I agree 100%! I voted for that "lowly BA" and I will again! Some members tend to forget that we went through some pretty rough years with the previous Local 804 Executive Board. That was tough to take because before them we had Ron Carey. Ron NEVER EVER backed down from UPS! We knew it. UPS knew it. And the IBT knew it. Then Ron was elected President of the International in the early 90's and in 1996 the whole country knew it! The closest thing we have to Ron today is that "lowly BA" who, like Ron, isn't going to back down from UPS. And like Ron, he knows when he's right and he knows what the right thing to do is. Liam is young, smart and he's got Ron Carey written all over him! Stink219, UpstateNYUPSer, you can both throw your meaningless bs from many miles away, but you didn't know Ron and what he stood for and you don't know Liam and what he stands for!

member6045

Any ideas?

Sent using BrownCafe App
Stop the damage now! Tell the board to resign! At this pace! Losing 230 more guys our healthcare will get worse!!! More out of pocket!! These fired drivers will not get there pension until there 55! Unless they qualify with years of service and age! This could destroy our pension with that shortfall of money!

Will reformers be a group to give up our right to strike in 804.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Following this autonomy ideology, shouldn't they quit accepting their per capita then?
Bet that won't happen.

Wouldn't this be a perfect scenario politically for the IBT to ride over the hill, on "the big white horse", to save the day for the TDU local?

When TDU and Local 804 have continually disparaged "our" IBT....

And then, step on their d*ck....

It's really naive.... to think the IBT is going to drop everything they are doing....

To cater to a Local, that will (continually) criticize anything they do.

"Live by the sword.... die by the sword".

They are the masters, of their own domain. :biggrin:

-Bug-

member6045

I agree 100%! I voted for that "lowly BA" and I will again! Some members tend to forget that we went through some pretty rough years with the previous Local 804 Executive Board. That was tough to take because before them we had Ron Carey. Ron NEVER EVER backed down from UPS! We knew it. UPS knew it. And the IBT knew it. Then Ron was elected President of the International in the early 90's and in 1996 the whole country knew it! The closest thing we have to Ron today is that "lowly BA" who, like Ron, isn't going to back down from UPS. And like Ron, he knows when he's right and he knows what the right thing to do is. Liam is young, smart and he's got Ron Carey written all over him! Stink219, UpstateNYUPSer, you can both throw your meaningless bs from many miles away, but you didn't know Ron and what he stood for and you don't know Liam and what he stands for!
Are you attempting to say Ron Carey would have taken the same actions as Liam???

brown_trousers

They made their bed.... now they have to lie in it.

Time will tell.

-Bug-
Bet that won't happen.

bug makes a good point. Isnt 804 the local that is constantly rejecting the national negotiations in favor of their own negotiations? And dont get me wrong... i dont disagree with that concept. But if 804 has worked so hard for their autonomy from the general IBT, maybe we should let them continue the concept to figure out a solution for their terminated drivers.

in the end, maybe their concept of autonomous locals will prove successful, or maybe it will bring them on board with the national IBT

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The closest thing we have to Ron today is that "lowly BA" who, like Ron, isn't going to back down from UPS. And like Ron, he knows when he's right and he knows what the right thing to do is. Liam is young, smart and he's got Ron Carey written all over him!

Correct me if I'm wrong....

Wasn't this BA terminated from UPS, and his discharge case upheld by an arbitrator ??

-Bug-

Brown Spider

Are you attempting to say Ron Carey would have taken the same actions as Liam???

Ron Carey DID take the same actions as Liam! The EXACT same actions! And Ron may have done it BEFORE we had the protection of Article 18, Section 4 a) or the decision of an Arbitrator confirming the validity of that language!