Terminations in 804 begin: 20 drivers fired Monday

Brown Spider

Are you attempting to say Ron Carey would have taken the same actions as Liam???

Will reformers be a group to give up our right to strike in 804.

Ron Carey DID take the same actions as Liam! The EXACT same actions! And he may have done it BEFORE the protection of Article 18, Section 4 a) was in our Supplement!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
When TDU and Local 804 have continually disparaged "our" IBT....

And then, step on their d*ck....

It's really naive.... to think the IBT is going to drop everything they are doing....

To cater to a Local, that will (continually) criticize anything they do.

"Live by the sword.... die by the sword".

They are the masters, of their own domain. :biggrin:

-Bug-
bug makes a good point. Isnt 804 the local that is constantly rejecting the national negotiations in favor of their own negotiations? And dont get me wrong... i dont disagree with that concept. But if 804 has worked so hard for their autonomy from the general IBT, maybe we should let them continue the concept to figure out a solution for their terminated drivers.

in the end, maybe their concept of autonomous locals will prove successful, or maybe it will bring them on board with the national IBT

Again, should the IBT then quit taking dues money monthly, in the form of a per capita, from Local 804?
Is there something in the IBT Constitution that allows for this type of spiteful inattention and does it foster reconciliation?
Seems like an irresponsible, immature, grade school mentality to me.

It's like standing idly by, watching while one of my children drown because I told them repeatedly to stay away from the pool.

Brown Spider

bug makes a good point. Isnt 804 the local that is constantly rejecting the national negotiations in favor of their own negotiations? And dont get me wrong... i dont disagree with that concept. But if 804 has worked so hard for their autonomy from the general IBT, maybe we should let them continue the concept to figure out a solution for their terminated drivers.

in the end, maybe their concept of autonomous locals will prove successful, or maybe it will bring them on board with the national IBT

Local 804 doesn't reject the national negotiations in favor of their own negotiations. They are part of the Master Agreement and they have their own Local 804 Supplement. That is nothing new, nor is it unique to Local 804. All Local Unions that represent UPS employees are party to the Master and a Supplement. The concept of autonomy is also not new or unique to Local 804. The autonomy that Local 804 has is no different than the autonomy that any Local Union has. What may make Local 804 different in the eyes of the current leadership of the International is the fact that it is the home Local of Ron Carey.

member6045

Ron Carey DID take the same actions as Liam! The EXACT same actions! And he may have done it BEFORE the protection of Article 18, Section 4 a) was in our Supplement!

Ok! What was the effect of RC actions to the local? How was the members or board effected from those actions.

Brown Spider

Ok! What was the effect of RC actions to the local? How was the members or board effected from those actions.

You're just going to have to do your own homework, member 6045. Someone on here recently posted a link or story in the New York Times that quoted Ron during the strike which was back in the 70's.

member6045

Who's Ron Carey?

This is a good question! Because if you started after 1995? He was gone from local 804! Even members that started earlier didn't know him! Only knew of him! Tim wants to be Ron! Or as close as he can be to becoming Ron! Only the guys with 30-40 years know how it use to be! Those days are long gone

Rainman

Its all good.
I agree 100%! I voted for that "lowly BA" and I will again! Some members tend to forget that we went through some pretty rough years with the previous Local 804 Executive Board. That was tough to take because before them we had Ron Carey. Ron NEVER EVER backed down from UPS! We knew it. UPS knew it. And the IBT knew it. Then Ron was elected President of the International in the early 90's and in 1996 the whole country knew it! The closest thing we have to Ron today is that "lowly BA" who, like Ron, isn't going to back down from UPS. And like Ron, he knows when he's right and he knows what the right thing to do is. Liam is young, smart and he's got Ron Carey written all over him! Stink219, UpstateNYUPSer, you can both throw your meaningless bs from many miles away, but you didn't know Ron and what he stood for and you don't know Liam and what he stands for!

Sent using BrownCafe App

Xexys

Retired and Happy
Ron Carey had balls and UPS knew that when he said something or threatened to do something, UPS could be certain that it would be carried out.

When the Wildcat walkout was organized back when the 150 lb weight limit was thrust upon us, Carey gave the company the requisite time to hold that walkout. We walked, and the language was changed and put in the Master Agreement. I have nothing but respect for that man and he never put our jobs on the line. He went by the book.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Seems like an irresponsible, immature, grade school mentality to me.

It's like standing idly by, watching while one of my children drown because I told them repeatedly to stay away from the pool.

TDU and Local 804 "built" their own pool.

Doing so.... they have a "self obligation" to teach themselves to swim.

In other words, they should have stayed out of the deep end.

Now, they are looking for a life preserver. The Titanic, didn't have enough....

-Bug-

Brown Spider

If you can show me in the contract where it says I can punch in and then participate in an illegal wildcat strike and expect to keep my job I will stop posting on this subject.
If you'll delete the words "illegal" and "wildcat", which no Union would ever propose as language and no Employer would ever accept as language, then you'll move light years in the direction of accuracy in describing the Maspeth walkout. Then, and only then, will I direct you to the language in the Local 804 Supplement. The language doesn't apply upstate, however. If you'd like a hard copy of the language, Upstate, just hop on the 'ol John Deere, drive down to Queens and we'll hook you right up.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
TDU and Local 804 "built" their own pool.

Doing so.... they have a "self obligation" to teach themselves to swim.

In other words, they should have stayed out of the deep end.

Now, they are looking for a life preserver. The Titanic, didn't have enough....

-Bug-
Evidently you don't want to discuss the obligation to Local 804 associated with the per capita being collected monthly by the IBT?
Did they decertify while we weren't looking?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Evidently you don't want to discuss the obligation to Local 804 associated with the per capita being collected monthly by the IBT?

Relax.

Defined, by the IBT Constitution.. In "your" mind..

There is a "obligation".... to blindly support "any and all" actions by a Local ?

Help me out.

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Relax.

Defined, by the IBT Constitution.. In "your" mind..

There is a "obligation".... to blindly support "any and all" actions by a Local ?

Help me out.

-Bug-
I won't relax but I will help you out, although I don't believe you need it.
The IBT has a long history in intervening in Local Union business.

I'm not asking for a pep rally, rather help for 250 brothers and sisters from our ultimate governing body.
It's not too much to ask and it may lay inroads for the future.

Should they can continue to act like spurned lovers?