Thank you cares act!!!! 401k is mine

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Slightly different topic but that is exactly what I can’t get through to a buddy of mine. He has taken out quite a few substantial “loans” against his 401k over the years. Not for emergencies. Not for anything most people would consider worthy of raiding their nest egg for. Only to buy cars and a few other odds and ends. He justifies it by saying “it’s the best way to borrow money cause you’re paying yourself back with interest.

Is your buddy @quad decade guy

Slightly different topic but that is exactly what I can’t get through to a buddy of mine. He has taken out quite a few substantial “loans” against his 401k over the years. Not for emergencies. Not for anything most people would consider worthy of raiding their nest egg for. Only to buy cars and a few other odds and ends. He justifies it by saying “it’s the best way to borrow money cause you’re paying yourself back with interest.
It's retirement plan. And that's what the money is intended for. If you going to lose your house or some other big other life event then that's fine then you got to do . but to go on vacation or buy a car Is just being completely stupid

Overpaid Union Thug

My buddy is definitely not employed at UPS. Career factory slave that’s is known to make questionable financial decisions.
It's retirement plan. And that's what the money is intended for. If you going to lose your house or some other big other life event then that's fine then you got to do . but to go on vacation or buy a car Is just being completely stupid
Best case scenario would be to borrow and pay yourself back in an expedient manner (YEAH RIGHT!) and at a rate that equals the market gains (yeah right again!) during the loan period, or beats them during a downturn. But I know he, and likely most other people, pays back the minimum at the slowest pace required.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Best case scenario would be to borrow and pay yourself back in an expedient manner (YEAH RIGHT!) and at a rate that equals the market gains (yeah right again!) during the loan period, or beats them during a downturn. But I know he, and likely most other people, pays back the minimum at the slowest pace required.
Sounds like my wife’s coworkers who all have the 30 year school loan repayment plan. While we will be done in 2 years.

ManInBrown

you might need that 401k money to pay those high property taxes when your house is paid off and you are retired
Chances are I will never own until I retire and move out of NJ. Can’t afford to own here. Im not a fan of OT. I can’t do it. I’ve never been someone that lives to work. I put my 8.5-9 hours in every day and I go home. Once I retire I’ll move somewhere cheap and I’ll buy. NJ is a joke. And I live In a top 3 most expensive county. I hate NJ

DOK

In my case, I can’t contribute to it anymore, and I’d like to be able to put a down payment on another house and rent out my current one. Window of opportunity to do this without 10% penalty, plus it’s all UPS stock so it’s higher than its ever been. It’s the smaller of my two 401Ks and I’m keeping my Teamster Prudential one.
How are the taxes that you pay on it calculated? If you pull out $100,000 let’s say, do you owe $27,000 in taxes?

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
How are the taxes that you pay on it calculated? If you pull out $100,000 let’s say, do you owe $27,000 in taxes?
For starters, I believe you can only pull up to 50K

1/3 of the withdrawal counts against your income for the next 3 years. I opted to have no tax withheld and to handle it myself later

ManInBrown

It’s 100K max and you can spread the taxes owed over three years. I opted to have 10% shaved right off the top. Taxes owed will be minimal over three years.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
It’s 100K max and you can spread the taxes owed over three years. I opted to have 10% shaved right off the top. Taxes owed will be minimal over three years.
Hope you took into consideration that two or three years from now your income and tax rate will probably be higher.

Might be better to pay the taxes now especially if the amount it adds to your income doesn't cross over into the next tax bracket.

Or better yet, put it back in and don't use your retirement account as a piggy bank, that way you won't owe any taxes at all.

DOK

Hope you took into consideration that two or three years from now your income and tax rate will probably be higher.

Might be better to pay the taxes now especially if the amount it adds to your income doesn't cross over into the next tax bracket.

Or better yet, put it back in and don't use your retirement account as a piggy bank, that way you won't owe any taxes at all.
Have to keep in mind we are provided a pension, our 401k is not necessarily relied upon as sole retirement income as it may be for others.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Have to keep in mind we are provided a pension, our 401k is not necessarily relied upon as sole retirement income as it may be for others.
Isn't this basically the same argument as saying you don't need to invest for retirement because social security will be there for you?

Faceplanted

People should mind their own business

If somebody takes out their money and ruins their retirement, who cares? People make bad decisions, and decisions always have consequences. People make bad money/life decisions all the time and pay the price. It’s literally their fault. Who cares? Worry about your self and what you can control.

People are low key seething, that people are taking out money because they kind of want to do it then selves. The same seeth happens when somebody wants to leave a good careeer like ups to start a business. People wish they had the balls, but they don’t so they have something to say. “Be careful”. “I wouldn’t do that”. Imagine thinking anybody besides your immediate inner circle cares about you. Imagine thinking that people in that same immediate circle want to see you fail.

There is a small % of people who have the “cheat code” to life. If nobody is stupid everybody would be equal.