The art of baking humans in Texas heat

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Rawrzxor, May 24, 2014.

1. Rawrzxor

Rawrzxor Member

So, it's rapidly approaching summer, and the soon-to-be 100-110 degree weather outside the metal ovens, (and, of course my cars AC doesn't work) and I was curious as to anyone's preparations or ways to compensate or endure the heat. In regards to loading trailers, I should add.

Right now, the weather is around 90 degrees, and it generally feels like 95-100 in the trailers. I feel the energy being drained out of me as I work, which goes doubly when I forget to bring a Gatorade or eat two meals before coming to work. And, when it's humid, God when it's humid, the back of the trailers are suffocating, literally suffocating.

Anyone who's loaded trailers in the heat have any recommendations? I've heard that almost every summer someone is passing out or throwing up; I would like to avoid that. I know drinking a lot of water is ostensibly a treatment, but I thought perhaps there are some more nuanced ways of dealing with the heat.
  2. Dr.Brown

Dr.Brown Swollen Member

pedialyte!!!! I buy the walgreens version, 2 for $7...
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

This may sound like BS but the moment you think about the heat you are done.
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

I wore a jacket out today. Kind of chilly here up north.
  5. Rawrzxor

Rawrzxor Member

Ooooh. How long does a box/bottle(?) last you?
  6. Dr.Brown

Dr.Brown Swollen Member

When it gets real hot, over 100, I'll drink 2 quarts(2 bottles).

it's a ratio of 4 bottles of water, then a quart of pedialyte, then water... etc
  7. Drink a lot of milk.
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. UpstateNYUPSer

I spent four summers on a flight line in Lubbock. Thank goodness they stopped flying when the almost daily thunderstorms rolled through in the afternoon.
  9. wornoutupser

wornoutupser Active Member

Come on Wally! It hit 96 here in Central Florida today!
  10. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

Always eat something. Avoid the soda pop and alcohol. Stay active when you are not at UPS. Don't just sit in the AC all day and go to work.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 mouth breathers...everywhere

Great thread title...btw
  12. RandomDrone

RandomDrone Member

Just remember that there is no shame in taking a break if you start showing signs of dehydration or heat exhaustion. It can be a literal sweatshop and personally I'm not going to collapse in a trailer while tryng to put up a good PPH
  13. Pooter

Pooter Active Member

Wash towel wrapped around a ice pack worked well for me. If it got too hot then I would just put my head in the sink.
  14. im_tired

im_tired New Member

when the heat really gets here i put a gallon jug of water in the freezer before i go to bed. takes a long time to melt, and once it does it's still pretty cold.
  15. Sean1692

Sean1692 New Member

Take a gallon of water and freeze it overnight then wrap it in a towel and keep it in the truck it will thaw out as the day goes on .. Works awesome for me nothing worse then piss warm water when your sweating your ass off haha..

Sent by Upsman
  16. ZQXC

ZQXC Guest

Is "flight line" a subtle segue to let unknowing posters that you were once a member of the Air Force.
  17. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

I think he drove the FOD rod. Early driving practice.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. UpstateNYUPSer

I lost count of how many early morning FOD walks I took part in.
  19. Worker304

Worker304 New Member

I always flip them bright lights in the trailer up so my trailer stays dark, cools it down a lil unless ur in one those 53' metal train trailers.

Sent using BrownCafe App