The Case for Zero Loyalty

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Thank you. That's my point. What is loyalty in business? I could afford the truck sitting out for a day as easily as Fred can afford having someone off for 6 months. So it seems only common sense to expect a worker back within a certain time period. Has little to do with loyalty.

I agree with you to a point, and I understand how you, a small business owner, cannot afford to have a truck sit, however, FedEx on the other hand can afford to have people off longer than 90 days depending on the injury. I'm sure that in most circumstances a 90 day return to work is not a problem, but there are some cases where 90 days is not nearly enough time to heal and get back to work. IMO, it's not fair to the employee if they have a serious on the job injury and are displaced because they haven't healed within the allotted time. Actually, I think it's flat-out wrong.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I worked with a full-time am courier who was attacked by a dog on his route, and had to have multiple surgeries because of it. By the time he came back to work six months later he had been "displaced". He had to take a part-time pm position at the next closest station which added 40 minutes to his commute. He went from being pro FedEx to being very bitter, understandably so. No way anyone can convince me that FedEx treated him fairly. There are many stories like this. FedEx is not a "People" company. That ended 10-15 years ago.

bbsam

Staff member
I worked with a full-time am courier who was attacked by a dog on his route, and had to have multiple surgeries because of it. By the time he came back to work six months later he had been "displaced". He had to take a part-time pm position at the next closest station which added 40 minutes to his commute. He went from being pro FedEx to being very bitter, understandably so. No way anyone can convince me that FedEx treated him fairly. There are many stories like this. FedEx is not a "People" company. That ended 10-15 years ago.
Did he contact a lawyer? I had a driver attacked by a rott and the homeowner was liable to a six figure settlement paid by their homeowner's insurance.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I believe so. I'm not sure though what happened. I left the station, because I got tired of being written up for every mistake I made, after 22 years of not being written up for anything. :)

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Next time anybody here is debating on whether or not to call in sick remember that Fred doesn't give a rat ass about us.

Hey, I have an idea! How about we organize a big sick-out, just like we did at the end of September?

Oh, wait.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Hey, I have an idea! How about we organize a big sick-out, just like we did at the end of September?

Oh, wait.

Mock all you like. We really need to organize a big union, but your personal idol Mr. Smith has purchased his way into an iron-clad non-union company. Do you shine his shoes too?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Stop giving me so much stupid stuff to mock.

You are way too easy. The stuff you pull out of your butt is pure company schlock. Nobody believes any of it, but if it feeds your ego to think they do, keep it up. You just make FedEx look like more of a joke than it already is.

59 Dano

You are way too easy. The stuff you pull out of your butt is pure company schlock. Nobody believes any of it, but if it feeds your ego to think they do, keep it up. You just make FedEx look like more of a joke than it already is.

Instead of lashing out at those who point out your lies, have you considered that it might be easier to stop being such an amoral liar?

59 Dano

LOL!! You are a ZERO. Zero integrity, and willing to say whatever the company wants.

When you can actually stick to your word for once, maybe then you'll have some room to talk about integrity. I don't know what the company wants me to say. Don't really care. I say whatever I believe and I don't have to worry about letting my mouth write checks that my rear end can't cash, either on a message board or in the real world.

Until then, I'll enjoy the dispatches from the militant malcontent who gets so upset when people disagree with him.

Samething goes for Women couriers who are pregnant. Back in the day there was no such thing as light duty. Try working 9 months pregnant and heavy lifting. I saw several women in the late 80 early 90 lose their child, due to the heavy lifting. We were required to do the same job. They did not recognize a pregnant courier. I drove a Gruman full of frieght and many of my fellow couriers asked management to let me have their routes until after I had my child. Our SM said no because it would show favortism. My manager would meet me on the road and help me to deliver the packages. After having your child, PT had to use their vacation and be back at work within 2 to 4 weeks. FT got 6 weeks. There are many situations that have not improved. They need to take a better look at this policy....

Yeah the policy needs to be changed, But I know of 3 people in my station that have taken advantage of it. One guy found a doctor who wrote him a bunch of doctors notes, he just put in the date and took off all the time, this went on for a year. The following year he found out he didn't work enough hours the previous year to clam fmla.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Yeah the policy needs to be changed, But I know of 3 people in my station that have taken advantage of it. One guy found a doctor who wrote him a bunch of doctors notes, he just put in the date and took off all the time, this went on for a year. The following year he found out he didn't work enough hours the previous year to clam fmla.

People like that are the ones who have ruined it for the rest of us who do our best to not to be off. I had to have a surgery last year, and rather than jump through all the hoops to get disability and be off long enough to heal correctly, I came back to work.

whenIgetthere

This is so wrong to be displaced after an incicent which occurred on the job, in fact I think it's outrageous! If he weren't working for Fedex at the time, he wouldn't have been attacked by the dog.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

FedEx protects itself very well from potential employee abuse by being Draconian in their treatment of the sick and/or injured. That way, the scammers who fake injuries don't get away with it, but they also take-down employees who have legitimate health issues.

Most Express employees are remarkably loyal given the crap sandwhich they have been given. Unfortunately, they don't discover the BLT is actually feces until something goes wrong...like getting hurt.

RTURNSONLY

To me, is totally unfair the way the policy is written were a rookie, perhaps a 1-year employee, gets the same displacement period (90 days) that of a seasoned, more loyal (15+ years) employee. I agree that Fedex sucks when giving employess across the board only 90 days disability before getting displaced, meanwhile, many other companies, (even much smaller ones), honors their employees double that time, as stated on an earlier post. Even worse, you get the double-whammy if the reason of your disability is due to a work-related injury, specially if it wasn't even your fault. I think this benefit should be attached to years of service; the longer with the company, the more benefit given. For those of you disagreeing, your point of view will quickly change as soon as is YOU going through a 90+ days disability and needing the benefit of a longer time to return to work.

Goldilocks

This is so wrong to be displaced after an incicent which occurred on the job, in fact I think it's outrageous! If he weren't working for Fedex at the time, he wouldn't have been attacked by the dog.

I cant believe that a Dog Bite is an incident. Thats just crazy. It scares me when the kids are home and answer the door and let fido out.

thedownhillEXPRESS

Dog bite = a preventable incident

Have seen it happen twice recently at our station ...
It's ridiculous B.S. but part of the new corporate policy that everything is the employees fault..