The Ground Professional

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
You are full of it, as usual. Brown drivers are professionals, Ground drivers are amateurs...simple as that.

Are you saying that I have seen Ground trucks nosed into docks or that I said UPS trucks go in nose first?

Your stupidity and your lack of integrity along with your over-inflated ego make for gibberish.

Borderline 9.5

So what's the reasoning when a UPS guy does it? I've seen countless UPS guys leave the bulkhead door open and just about all of them leave the side doors open when the weather is warm. Some leave the engine running. Most of the UPS guys I've crossed paths with are fine but please don't act like you all don't have some absolute turds in your ranks.

I'm pretty sure every driver leaves the side doors open in warm weather. (some even in cold weather) Since we don't have air conditioning like fedex express we would die from heat exhaustion if we didn't.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm pretty sure every driver leaves the side doors open in warm weather. (some even in cold weather) Since we don't have air conditioning like fedex express we would die from heat exhaustion if we didn't.

I once had a customer ask me where my doors were. I told her we take them off during the summer and put them back on in the winter. She thought about it for a second and then asked what happens when it rains. I just smiled and walked away.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Are you saying that I have seen Ground trucks nosed into docks or that I said UPS trucks go in nose first?

Your stupidity and your lack of integrity along with your over-inflated ego make for gibberish.

Where's the lack of integrity in telling the truth? Whenever I see UPS, they are professionals, and whenever I see Ground, they usually are amateurs. What's so hard to understand about that?

Most of us who actually drive a truck (not a desk like shills), have seen Ground antics up-close and personal. The BO, the crazy driving, the running trucks, and the rest of it. It's what they do, Dano. Maybe we should start driving their trucks around the block or tossing the keys in the dumpster when they leave them running? What happens when some kid steals one and starts knocking-off pedestrians?

Ground: Unprofessional
Express: Professional
UPS: Professional
Shills: Unprofessional

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Maybe we should start driving their trucks around the block or tossing the keys in the dumpster when they leave them running?
Not a bad idea. Actually that's what the contractors should be doing by keeping tabs on these so called drivers. Guess most contractors are too busy with golf and fantasy football to worry about it a lot.

xfdxgroundmgmt

Ok, So this happens all too much @fdxground. While as a manager , once while at training in Atlanta I waited for a driver to finish his conversation at a publix, truck in front of the doors at the supermarket with the keys in it! My conversation with the driver was that the packages on the truck were our money and if I saw it again on the rout I would either take a package or his truck and he could talk to his Contractor and the SM. Another time with one of my own drivers, I drove his truck across the parking lot, A talk with him and his Contractor finished that problem (the driver used to be a contractor a few years before too)! Although if Fdx Security sees this now the Contractor / ISP are looking for a new driver and the Contractor / ISP is in danger of their lively hood!

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Where's the lack of integrity in telling the truth? Whenever I see UPS, they are professionals, and whenever I see Ground, they usually are amateurs. What's so hard to understand about that?

Don't go changing the subject. I said that I've seen plenty of UPS guys leave their bulkhead doors open and you called that a fabrication. You said that was a lie. Now prove it.

Most of us who actually drive a truck (not a desk like shills)

I'm sorry you couldn't advance beyond the truck. I know it's a sore spot with you for some reason.

Schlepper

Let me introduce this element: what kind of training does a Ground driver receive? They get trained by whatever contractor hired them? Who does that contractor get trained by, the previous contractor? The terminal is extremely lax in terms of training (but seeing as how we're not "employees," who could blame them). I think that they do that intentionally to try and get drivers/contractors to unknowingly screw up so FedEx can pull their customer service bonuses and keep that $$ at the corporate level. The terminal will only tell you that you have done something wrong well after the fact that you do something wrong. No matter what company you work for, there are things that you will do daily that are not "by the book" to the absolute letter. These are things that you will do to service your PSA and save time. Time is of the essence in this business. If you start snowballing or returning to the terminal after the outbound has left, you're in it deep. The culture is built on several Catch-22s.

HomeDelivery

to add, i've seen other drivers that are "runner/gunners" with their bulkhead door open while driving & other "shortcuts" just to shove these packages out of their vehicles ASAP since we're not "hourly" employees. Basically did a "check ride" to see just how they're smoking their routes so fast...

one route, when following the methods, should have been done by 1600-1700, but this one driver can smoke it by 1400.

When I was riding along and observing his "methods" he forgot to use the parking brake & left the vehicle in "D"... rolls the vehicle ~3x during the day :panicsmiley: because at some stops, he'll just leave the keys in the ignition & keeps it idling since he can "run" to-fro the vehicle to the porch in under a minute. that was the only concern i had to relay to the driver-start using your parking brake at every stop & just make it a part of his routine.