The Immigration Issue

Slothrop

Interestingly enough, when the 14th Amendment became law, Mexicans could freely cross the border, and much of the Western US was a part of Mexico.

Did you know that many Koreans come to the USA for the express purpose of giving birth? That way their children don't have to do mandatory service in the Korean Armed Forces.

What was that inscription on the Statue of Liberty again? Never mind, that was a gift from the French.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Susie

It reads "yearning to be free" not yearning to get free (fill in the blank)

I have no problem with mexicans that want a better life getting one here. They need to do it legally though, and learn to respect the culture and learn the language also. For the rest, sendem back.

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
BTW, just some history on the statue that you might find interesting or objectionable.

First and second class passengers who arrived in New York Harbor were not required to undergo the inspection process at Ellis Island. Instead, these passengers underwent a cursory inspection aboard ship; the theory being that if a person could afford to purchase a first or second class ticket, they were less likely to become a public charge in America due to medical or legal reasons. The Federal government felt that these more affluent passengers would not end up in institutions, hospitals or become a burden to the state. However, first and second class passengers were sent to Ellis Island for further inspection if they were sick or had legal problems.

But then there is this

Raised in a wealthy Jewish family in New York, Emma Lazarus devoted herself to Zionist and Marxist causes after hearing about the pogroms in Russia in the 1880s. She translated several important Jewish works, and "The New Colossus" is inscribed on the pedestal of the Statue of Liberty.

Susie, you wrote:
What was that inscription on the Statue of Liberty again? Never mind, that was a gift from the French.

Susie, I think you mispoke on that one. Not from france, but from a wealty New York Jew penned those words.

Just thought I would correct your slight observation.:lol:

best

d

tieguy

Banned
Slothrop said:
Interestingly enough, when the 14th Amendment became law, Mexicans could freely cross the border, and much of the Western US was a part of Mexico.
Did you know that many Koreans come to the USA for the express purpose of giving birth? That way their children don't have to do mandatory service in the Korean Armed Forces.

Let them immigrate let them do so legally. With terrorism a means to make war against us the borders need to be sealed.

moreluck

golden ticket member
For future illegal immigrant boycotts......

Please boycott our hospitals, schools, jails,
and highways.

Let us see what our health care system would be like
without an overcrowded emergency room full of illegal immigrants using
it as a free clinic to treat non-emergency ailments. Let us see what it
would
be like to have people who the hospital actually expects to pay for
treatment. I wonder if the costs for health insurance would drop.

Let us see what it would be like to reduce the size of our classrooms.
Let us see what it would be like to have to spend taxpayer dollars to
teach in English only. Let us see if our schools test score averages
increase.

Let us see what it would be like to not be victimized by an illegal
immigrant and then have to pay for the incarceration of that illegal
immigrant. The Los Angeles County Jail system would be alleviated of
thousands of inmates. Those incarcerated might actually do 100% of
their sentences rather than the 10% that they have been doing.

Let us see what our highways would be like. Let us see if traffic is
reduced without their presence. Let us see if the number of
unlicensed, uninsured, unqual uninsured motorists drops and the number of traffic collisions also drops proportionally. Maybe our car insurance
rates would see a decrease as a result.

Slothrop

tie,

Love the new sig line. Only one grammar error and one spelling error; you are improving. Never mind that it makes no sense, I've come to expect that from you. :lol::lol:

retiredone

I am concerned about all immigrants today. In cases of dual citizenship, I believe there is a question of which country people owe allegiance to. Two examples:

I heard an interview recently with a legal immigrant from India. She was voting for the first time in one of our elections and stated that she based her decision on which candidate would encourage outsourcing of jobs to India. I think peoples primary allegiance should be the United States and not their prior country.

When it became apparent that the 2000 election was very tight, the government of Isreal publicly encouraged people with dual citizenship to vote for the candidate that they believed would provide the most foreign aid. Why should we allow dual citizship? Why allow citizens of another country to vote in our elections?

When my grandfather came to this country he was required to sign a document promising allegiance only to the US and renouncing any ties to any other country (attached). I believe this is the way it should be.
Ole Knudson Naturalization.jpg

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I agree totally. No dual citizenship. For any one.

And if you do not give up your former citizenship, then no voting rights.

We give rights to too many people. Former convicted felons included.

Maybe because it is given so freely, is why it is not respected or revered.

d

retiredone

OldUPSDriver said:
THINK about this! (From the L. A Times:)

Americans (& Californians) are a bunch of fools for letting this crap continue.
Vote OUT any politician that doesn't protect California's Borders & oppose ILLEGAL aliens.

I think that both sides of this discussion have gotten very attached to their positions. I hesitate to jump in, but the Snopes web site researches the authenticity of this type of material. I found this link:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/immigration/taxes.asp

I believe that some of the statistics are somewhat exagerated. However, I also view illegal immigration as a serious problem that is spinning further and further out of control every day. As a nation, we seem encapable of controlling and protecting our borders. Out politicians appear unwilling to enforce our laws. I believe that this is a very serious problem.

One of the quotes challenged everyone to propose a solution. As difficult as it might be to do this, I believe that the starting point has to be enforcement of existing law. Amending existing laws to accomodate folks who broke them is futile...If we didn't enforce the old law, why should anyone believe we will enforce a new one?

While I wish our leaders would enforce our laws, neither party seems inclinded to do it. If we eliminate the people who won't enforce our laws, I don't think we have anyone left to vote for.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Retired

As a boy growing up in Iowa on a tomato farm, I saw the illegals working to try and make a living. I have also seen them shot while trying to run. While this type of enforcement is a bit rough, they were treated like criminals. They were arrested, jailed and deported.

Only thing that really put a bad taste in my mouth at the time was the guy that turned them in. He owed them almost two weeks worth of wages, and it was near the end of the season, so instead of paying them what he owed them, he called the INS in.

Real @*^@#&

I dont have any problem with people coming here, learning the language, obeying the laws, and becoming a productive citizen of this country. But for those that dont, send them all back. Not only those that seem to hold the whole focus, the Mexicans, but any foreign person that is not here legally.

d

d

retiredone

dannyboy said:
I dont have any problem with people coming here, learning the language, obeying the laws, and becoming a productive citizen of this country. But for those that dont, send them all back.

Our country seems to either outsource jobs or import workers. I believe that this adversly impacts the people who are here legally. Adding to the "supply" of workers affects the price people are willing to pay for the services. Our citizens are now having to compete with people who will work in other countries for pennies per hour. And they also have to compete with imported workers who also will work for much less than our folks. And the families of both of these groups overwhelmingly reside in countries where the cost of living is significantly less than in the US. This seems to be a strange way to "provide for the common welfare" of our citizens.

We are living in a global marketplace and have to be competitive. But we seem to go out of our way to make circumstances work against our citizens. What does it mean in our consitution when we promise our citizens to "provide for the common welfare"? Or is that promise open to non citizens as well? What are the benefits of citizenship?

Last edited:

tieguy

Banned
Slothrop said:
tie,

Love the new sig line. Only one grammar error and one spelling error; you are improving. Never mind that it makes no sense, I've come to expect that from you. :lol::lol:

Oh I think the fact you noticed it and was irritated enough to comment on it speaks of your understanding. My point as you know was that the liberal in fact has mastered the concept of bias. They keep the minority oppressed by telling them they have no value and no hope without the help of white carpetbaggers like yourself. I would add a couple of smiley faces here but unlike yourself I believe in honest expression. Have a nice day or have a ****ty day it does not matter to me.

tieguy

Banned
dannyboy said:
I agree totally. No dual citizenship. For any one.

And if you do not give up your former citizenship, then no voting rights.

We give rights to too many people. Former convicted felons included.

Maybe because it is given so freely, is why it is not respected or revered.

d

I didn't know you were allowed dual citizenship. my understanding has been you have to renounce any other citizenship when you take the US oath.

retiredone

tieguy said:
I didn't know you were allowed dual citizenship. my understanding has been you have to renounce any other citizenship when you take the US oath.

I think in part it depends on the order. For example, any Jew is automatically granted Isreali citizenship. I believe it is called the "right of return". In any event, there are a number of situations where folks have dual citizenship.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Yes Tie, many people do. Esp those with diplomatic ties. World war 2 showed the value of having citizenship in more than one country.

Thing about it is that the situations during ww2 are no longer valid. Citizenship and the protection it used to offer are one of those little tiny things that terrorists now either overlook, or target.

Many people these days use it for tax purposes.

d