The New Normal

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Lately there have been quite a few people on here advising Express employees that they need to accept the "New Normal", which means doing the same job, but for less money and fewer benefits. FedEx is still extremely profitable, but doing what used to be worth $25-$28 per hour in top markets is now worth around $14 per hour if you believe the hype. Funny, but last time I checked, being a courier wasn't a job that could be outsourced to China, so the argument that we have a global economy really doesn't hold water in terms of affecting our jobs.

The "New Normal" often means taking a formerly unionized or high-wage company, shutting it down or selling-it, and then re-opening it as a non-union business. The Boeing Company, which is very profitable, had a division in Wichita, KS, which made fuselage sections for it's planes. They shut it down, sold it, and then re-opened it under the name of Spirit Aerospace. They still make the exact same things they made before, but now they do it for less in a non-union plant.

The "New Normal" also means part-time and poor benefits or none at all, as in the case of our beloved FedEx Ground. Have groceries, medical costs, gasoline etc. all dropped so far in price that we can have a society of people working for around half of what they used to make, AND with more expensive insurance costs if you even have coverage at all?

The "New Normal" doesn't affect CEO's or small business owners like Ground contractors like it does us. Their salaries and income go UP, because...??? They aren't doing anything different either, unless you count screwing hourly employees blind with the excuse that they can barely get by. Bullsheet.

Fred S and all the rest of them are making more money than ever. So are Ground contractors. So are Boeing, WalMart, Whole Foods and the other proponents of the "New Normal"

When all of these liars take a pay cut and lose their benefits and Golden Parachutes, then I'll start believing in the "New Normal" too. Sorry, but it's just more lies from those who have, so they can have even more.

Don't buy it.

bbsam

Staff member
You are forgetting our beloved R1a. He had a trio of options. Get out, stay and make the best of it, or organize. Most just choose to come here and bitch. So, MFE, do you have a fourth proposition? Or shall it remain more of the same empty protestations?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You are forgetting our beloved R1a. He had a trio of options. Get out, stay and make the best of it, or organize. Most just choose to come here and bitch. So, MFE, do you have a fourth proposition? Or shall it remain more of the same empty protestations?

Yes. You are overpaid, and I can get someone to move to this country and be a subcontractor for Massuh Smith for 40% less than you. Sorry, you are overpaid and need to accept the New Normal.

vantexan

Lately there have been quite a few people on here advising Express employees that they need to accept the "New Normal", which means doing the same job, but for less money and fewer benefits. FedEx is still extremely profitable, but doing what used to be worth $25-$28 per hour in top markets is now worth around $14 per hour if you believe the hype. Funny, but last time I checked, being a courier wasn't a job that could be outsourced to China, so the argument that we have a global economy really doesn't hold water in terms of affecting our jobs.

The "New Normal" often means taking a formerly unionized or high-wage company, shutting it down or selling-it, and then re-opening it as a non-union business. The Boeing Company, which is very profitable, had a division in Wichita, KS, which made fuselage sections for it's planes. They shut it down, sold it, and then re-opened it under the name of Spirit Aerospace. They still make the exact same things they made before, but now they do it for less in a non-union plant.

The "New Normal" also means part-time and poor benefits or none at all, as in the case of our beloved FedEx Ground. Have groceries, medical costs, gasoline etc. all dropped so far in price that we can have a society of people working for around half of what they used to make, AND with more expensive insurance costs if you even have coverage at all?

The "New Normal" doesn't affect CEO's or small business owners like Ground contractors like it does us. Their salaries and income go UP, because...??? They aren't doing anything different either, unless you count screwing hourly employees blind with the excuse that they can barely get by. Bullsheet.

Fred S and all the rest of them are making more money than ever. So are Ground contractors. So are Boeing, WalMart, Whole Foods and the other proponents of the "New Normal"

When all of these liars take a pay cut and lose their benefits and Golden Parachutes, then I'll start believing in the "New Normal" too. Sorry, but it's just more lies from those who have, so they can have even more.

Don't buy it.

Not sure why you are including Whole Foods in this...they go out of their way to reward stakeholders(employees). Is it just capitalism, period?

Seems that FedEx isn't the only bunch of pirates out there. The middle class, as H.H.'s NYTimes article demonstrated, is going nowhere. It appears about the only way a young person starting out today can have a decent life is start their own business. That's not necessarily a bad thing. My grandfather drilled water wells. One man operation mostly, did hire assistants from time to time, mostly family. Raised 6 kids. But he was a master carpenter and electrician too. Saw the potential with all the people moving into country homes in Florida. Back then if you lived in the country and wanted water you drilled a well. One can practice good ethics and morals and run a business. Here's a clue: if your wealth depends on having others do all the work for minimal pay so that you can do well then you might want to reconsider your code of ethics. If you do most of the work yourself and offer someone so so pay to assist you, which they take because they prefer that kind of arrangement, you are ok. IMHO.

I was concerned with small business owners getting hammered on taxes, but I think the people grossing more than $400,000 paying more taxes is a good idea. And those who make more than a million a year even more. What it comes down to, unfortunately, is those in power are hogging all the wealth to the point of hurting people. Forgive me Ronald Reagan but I think the time has come to make them give a big chunk of it back, BUT ONLY IF THE FEDERAL GOV'T ACTS RESPONSIBLY AND PAYS ON THE RIDICULOUS AMOUNT OF DEBT WE'VE ACCRUED. There's not enough money from these people to pay for everything, but that's not the point. They are hurting us financially, and it's time they gave something back. Don't want that to happen? Stop screwing people over.

vantexan

You are being generous. His advice was leave or bend over.

bbsam

Staff member
Yes. You are overpaid, and I can get someone to move to this country and be a subcontractor for Massuh Smith for 40% less than you. Sorry, you are overpaid and need to accept the New Normal.

that day may one day come. That day is not this day.

MAKAVELI

Very well said van. What really is going to bring the middle class back is creating good skilled jobs with wages and benefits that families can actually survive on. That might mean the wealthy business owners taking a little less of the pie.

Fourputt

Why be held hostage to fedex's version of normal? Make your own new normal. This is one of the easiest places on the planet to become a new normal. Need more pay? Find it. Need skills? Obtain them. I spent time in the military in places outside of our blessed country. Many of these countries have only one mantra: Their old normal, present normal, and future normal is not to die that day. Even us Ground drivers understand that if the job blows, time to find a new job. If the skills ain't there, there's any number of avenues to take to get them for thousands of careers. I saw guys in their 40's and 50's in the military with a family buckle down and get undergrad and even graduate degrees.

vantexan

Why be held hostage to fedex's version of normal? Make your own new normal. This is one of the easiest places on the planet to become a new normal. Need more pay? Find it. Need skills? Obtain them. I spent time in the military in places outside of our blessed country. Many of these countries have only one mantra: Their old normal, present normal, and future normal is not to die that day. Even us Ground drivers understand that if the job blows, time to find a new job. If the skills ain't there, there's any number of avenues to take to get them for thousands of careers. I saw guys in their 40's and 50's in the military with a family buckle down and get undergrad and even graduate degrees.

OK, suspected a Ground driver job might be attractive to military retirees. Supplement your pension, medical covered by V.A., much less hassle than an Express courier job.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
OK, suspected a Ground driver job might be attractive to military retirees. Supplement your pension, medical covered by V.A., much less hassle than an Express courier job.

Eisenhower spent us out of a recession in the 50's with public works projects like the Interstate Highway System and community hospitals. We have thousands of crumbling roads and bridges and a seriously underemployed construction sector. It isn't a giveaway, it needs to be done, and when more middle-class jobs are created, more revenue pours into the US Treasury. Yet, every time Democrats push for infrastructure projects, Boehner &Co. play the fiscal austerity card, which is both short-sighted and just plain wrong.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
that day may one day come. That day is not this day.

Not today, but a hypothetical for you to ponder. I guess you'd be OK if Fred decided to replace you with a cheaper alternative that didn't do as good a job, but cost less? No, you wouldn't. Right now, you're fat and happy. It's all going your way and as long as it does, it's all good.

Your day will come.

bbsam

Staff member
Not today, but a hypothetical for you to ponder. I guess you'd be OK if Fred decided to replace you with a cheaper alternative that didn't do as good a job, but cost less? No, you wouldn't. Right now, you're fat and happy. It's all going your way and as long as it does, it's all good.

Your day will come.

I don't know how to make it any simpler. My entire time with the company has been symbolized by one axiom. "Nothing promised, nothing stolen." My career moves reflect that reality.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I don't know how to make it any simpler. My entire time with the company has been symbolized by one axiom. "Nothing promised, nothing stolen." My career moves reflect that reality.

Like I said, Fred will eventually show you the ropes.

vantexan

Eisenhower spent us out of a recession in the 50's with public works projects like the Interstate Highway System and community hospitals. We have thousands of crumbling roads and bridges and a seriously underemployed construction sector. It isn't a giveaway, it needs to be done, and when more middle-class jobs are created, more revenue pours into the US Treasury. Yet, every time Democrats push for infrastructure projects, Boehner &Co. play the fiscal austerity card, which is both short-sighted and just plain wrong.

The problem with your point is 6 Trillion has been spent in the last 4 years. Some on the wars, yes, but where's the rest? By all means put people to work rebuilding and give us something concrete for our tax dollars. But if you are going to have a solid economy we need a thriving business sector providing goods and services that can be taxed. Building bridges and roads is great, but you can't keep millions of people at it if you don't have the revenue to pay them.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The problem with your point is 6 Trillion has been spent in the last 4 years. Some on the wars, yes, but where's the rest? By all means put people to work rebuilding and give us something concrete for our tax dollars. But if you are going to have a solid economy we need a thriving business sector providing goods and services that can be taxed. Building bridges and roads is great, but you can't keep millions of people at it if you don't have the revenue to pay them.

Where are the Republicans going to get the revenue from? Obama spent because he had to just to keep the country from going down the toilet. Now is the time to start re-building the middle class and start bringing in tax revenues from increased incomes.

If you and I were making 80k instead of struggling to make 45-50k, we'd have more disposable income to spend and would also pay more in taxes...a win-win for the economy and the Treasury. bbsam's drivers making 26k are the real problem, because they pay little in taxes and then burden the system with their healthcare and food stamp costs.

The New Normal puts money in the pockets of people like Fred S and his contractors, not the government and the Average Joe.

vantexan

Where are the Republicans going to get the revenue from? Obama spent because he had to just to keep the country from going down the toilet. Now is the time to start re-building the middle class and start bringing in tax revenues from increased incomes.

If you and I were making 80k instead of struggling to make 45-50k, we'd have more disposable income to spend and would also pay more in taxes...a win-win for the economy and the Treasury. bbsam's drivers making 26k are the real problem, because they pay little in taxes and then burden the system with their healthcare and food stamp costs.

The New Normal puts money in the pockets of people like Fred S and his contractors, not the government and the Average Joe.

But where did the money go that supposedly saved us from being flushed? Would that he would have put those millions of unemployed to work building infrastructure. Propping up campaign supporters is not the way to save the economy. Talk about flushed. And while every bit helps, you can't pay us all $80k and FedEx isn't big enough to save the economy. If the government would make it easier to start a business, and reward risk takers with higher returns, then the incentive is there to hire and the resultant business activity would not only increase gov't revenue but increase FedEx volume to where they could afford to pay us more. FedEx can't print money, we need freight.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
But where did the money go that supposedly saved us from being flushed? Would that he would have put those millions of unemployed to work building infrastructure. Propping up campaign supporters is not the way to save the economy. Talk about flushed. And while every bit helps, you can't pay us all $80k and FedEx isn't big enough to save the economy. If the government would make it easier to start a business, and reward risk takers with higher returns, then the incentive is there to hire and the resultant business activity would not only increase gov't revenue but increase FedEx volume to where they could afford to pay us more. FedEx can't print money, we need freight.

bbsam has the freight. Fred gave it to him while he was picking your pocket.