The Partnership??

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
In reading his post, I did not detect a request or a hint for sympathy.
It was an unemotional observation of the current management position versus 20 years ago.
Any management you come in contact with is the same as you ... just an expendable employee.
If you don't like that, McDonalds is hiring. :wink-very:

I stand by my position. I have heard too many times by Management to" leave if i dont like it," "you picked the job the job didnt pick you" ,The Mills are always hiring( granted that phrase was used very many years ago) ,"a trained monkey can do your job" etc to have any sympathy,empathy or feeling of connection for an individual in Management who dosen't like the way the system works,when it is working against him

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
I stand by my position. I have heard too many times by Management to" leave if i dont like it," "you picked the job the job didnt pick you" ,The Mills are always hiring( granted that phrase was used very many years ago) ,"a trained monkey can do your job" etc to have any sympathy,empathy or feeling of connection for an individual in Management who dosen't like the way the system works,when it is working against him
The world is made up of individuals, not groups (management vs. labor, Dem. vs. Repub., blah blah). I don't know you and you don't know me. I'm sorry you've been hurt by the above statements but I don't think it fair that that you retaliate against me for past mistreatment. Also, I didn't ask for sympathy and don't need any. Thanks for thinking I did though, it means a lot.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
In todays society with these big companies, its always management versus its employees nowadays. Welcome to the new job market where companies want more for less. That aint going to change for a long long time unfortunately. The big wigs are always going to find a way to :censored2: their workers at the expense of their workers backs.

Rainman

Its all good.
Your post seems very true from where I am. I'm a 35 year hourly, and the sups and CMs I see are ridden like cheap whores. Absolutely no respect given to them, excessive hours and workloads, given to much to do with not enough time to accomplish everything that they are being held accountable for. Sooner or later someone is going to crack and things will get very ugly.

A sup in our building cracked a few years ago. Nothing violent, just locked himself in an office and wouldn't come out. This was after actually crying in front of other management over a two week period previous to his breakdown. And the bad thing is, things have only gotten worse since then. There is at least one more sup I've been watching who I could see cracking, you can see the look in his eyes. Good men who the company is destroying with their policies.

If something doesn't change, the post office won't be the only organization with work place violence issues.

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Yeah most of the supes are decent guys, but not after getting whipped by their bosses. Id rather stay a package monkey than to sell my soul , know what I mean

Last edited by a moderator:

Greyeagle

1 - There's no may about it. You don't get a higher dividend for an A share than for a B share nor do you share more in the profit. Control is good for select executives because they have high ownership levels, control, and limited accountability (for example heads don't roll for costly failed acquisitions followed by disastrous peaks, etc.).

2 - Dual structure has not been good for lower level employees. MIP has not been based on profit, and the small numbers of awarded shares are not even issued immediately like they used to be. Employee ownership levels are probably at an all time low (conjecture) but employees are convinced that the A shares get them something. It boggles the mind.

TBH

An officially retired Oregonian .
See Rainman May 4th above. How the chickens have come home to roost. I fear if the toxic work environment does not change, there will be more violence, probably sooner rather than later. Not condoning at all what happened, just being a realist. The denial has got to stop, Atlanta are you listening?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
See Rainman May 4th above. How the chickens have come home to roost. I fear if the toxic work environment does not change, there will be more violence, probably sooner rather than later. Not condoning at all what happened, just being a realist. The denial has got to stop, Atlanta are you listening?
profits will suffer. Not in a million years will UPS shareholders appease improved working conditions and environments. Not unless those in the trenches own a majority, rather than outsiders.

worldwide

Was what happened in Birmingham the result of a "toxic work environment"? If so, on what do you base that claim?

TBH

Was what happened in Birmingham the result of a "toxic work environment"? If so, on what do you base that claim?
I base my claim on the many observations I made there over my 27 years with UPS. Both hourlies and the majority of management would agree with this. In fact, more times than not, once an on car (or occasionally someone higher
up) was away from the building with me in my PC, they would more than attest to this fact. They would often ask me to not repeat what they told me. (I never did) I was always blown away by what they said and a little flattered that they trusted me in this way. I know I was not a special case in this, many other drivers would tell me the same thing. So my end question is, what harm would it do to tone down the extreme negativity directed at employees at UPS, especially directed toward management by higher ups at corporate? Maybe, just maybe, it will keep an already unbalanced individual from going over the edge.

worldwide

I base my claim on the many observations I made there over my 27 years with UPS. Both hourlies and the majority of management would agree with this. In fact, more times than not, once an on car (or occasionally someone higher
up) was away from the building with me in my PC, they would more than attest to this fact. They would often ask me to not repeat what they told me. (I never did) I was always blown away by what they said and a little flattered that they trusted me in this way. I know I was not a special case in this, many other drivers would tell me the same thing. So my end question is, what harm would it do to tone down the extreme negativity directed at employees at UPS, especially directed toward management by higher ups at corporate? Maybe, just maybe, it will keep an already unbalanced individual from going over the edge.

So you were an employee in the Birmingham building and knew the shooter and the two people he murdered. Tell us, what was the murderer like? Was he the oddball that was reported in the paper that other drivers kept their distance from? Was the Business Manager and Supervisor that was murdered the ones promoting the "toxic environment"? In what ways?

TheFigurehead

No offense,but in all the years I have been with the company any time an hourly had the temerity to complain about his or her job within the company ( no matter how eloquently written or spoken) without fail no sympathy has ever been forthcoming from any Supervisor or Manager . In fact more times than I can count the person with the problem has been told if he/she dosent like the way things are done than that individual can LEAVE,or that individual is told McDonalds is always hiring...................
Cry me a River pal

While I don't disagree, you'll find the drivers telling the pters the same thing over in the other forums. Management $h!+$ on drivers, and the drivers join them in $h!++!ng on the pt folks.

TBH

So you were an employee in the Birmingham building and knew the shooter and the two people he murdered. Tell us, what was the murderer like? Was he the oddball that was reported in the paper that other drivers kept their distance from? Was the Business Manager and Supervisor that was murdered the ones promoting the "toxic environment"? In what ways?
No of course I've never been to Birmingham, I can only hypothesize on the area I worked in. UPS culture pretty much works its way down from cooperate. Knowing this, the working environment would be pretty much the same from 1 similar sized hub to the next. Allowing for different personalities, everyone takes their orders from the same chief and BOD. Reducing the toxic work environment would be Atlanta pulling back from all the micromanagement taking place (most people would say micromanagement is a waste of money)Let the DMs and CMs do the right thing and trust that they will. I think this being done in a sincere and meaningful way would allow the feeling of partnership to return to this company as the founders and early pioneers intended.

Not a chance it will return to DM and center manager's running the company, TBH. Good suggestion but the wrong people are reading this forum. Unfortunate, but corporate will not allow those that know the centers the most to run them as they see fit. We'll see what the future holds, but I know I'm not holding my breath.

Fragile

It's pretty disappointing.

How often do you see experienced package car drivers with seniority going into management lately (within the last 5 years or so)?

Many of us have ambition to climb the corporate ladder, improve our lives financially, and help the company progress, but have absolutely no motivation to join the management ranks because of obvious reasons. Not to mention the lack of adequate compensation, it's just not worth it financially.

O/C

Why bother with that ladder business there is absolutely nothing at the top, besides dodging the people above you willing to kick you in the teeth, read "Urtle the Turtle" again.

Sent using BrownCafe App