The ramifications are sobering

gman042

Been around the block a few times
At the end of a cul de sac I made deliveries to 2 neighboring houses.
As I sat down in my seat and prepared to start up I happened to notice a flash of something in my side mirror. In my RVM I can see 2 little boys sitting on my back bumper waiting for a free ride. Their little legs just a swinging in anticipation for the ride.
Thank you UPS for drilling into me to clear the truck before moving it.

9.5er

I've had the same thing happen twice before. First time I simply hollered for them to get off and they did. Second time one kid took off but other one just sat there. I hollered again and he stood up and looked around then sat back down. I had to get out and walk around to tell him to beat it. I'm sure he was thinking "How did he know I was there."

Cementups

Box Monkey
Many many many years ago, before rear view cameras, I had a little hood rat keep jumping on my rear bumper as I was trying to leave a business. I warned the kid three times to stop jumping on the bumper and he would falsely apologize and get off. Then when I started the truck the 4th time and start to roll SLOWLY, I watched him run up and jump up on the bumper. I coasted for a little and let him think he won for a second........until I hit the brakes and heard him smack the rear door. When i walked around the truck I asked him, "so you gonna keep getting on the truck?" All I got in return was a bunch of mother friend-er's and other choice words as he walked away rubbing his head.

But I would never do that now. Not with how quick people are to be recording everything or to make phone calls with complaints. And every hood rat around is toting a gun. No thanks.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I saw some kids about to jump on the back of my package car many years ago. I got in the seat, and could feel the truck bouncing as they hopped on. Luckily, my bulkhead door was open. (it stayed like that in the good old days. I only closed it 2x a day lol) I walked back to the back while inside the cargo area and hit the inside of the door with my hand about as hard as I dared to. BAM! It scared the crap out of them. By the time I got back there, they were probably 50 yards away. Never had that problem again at that stop.

9.5er

Just remembered. Had another kid skateboarding in a neighborhood. I was crossing a speed bump and he reached out and grabbed the rear bumper. Held on to it for a few seconds til he realized I was stopping. I fussed him out as he ran off. Couple weeks later I was a few streets over and as I'm pulling off and turning right from a stop sign the same kid runs up beside me and jumps into the cab. I was barely moving and never saw him til he was in the truck. I stopped and asked him what the hell he was thinking. His reply was he needed a ride home.
Thankfully I've never seen him since.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

People think its all fun and games, til they get hurt. Then its all YOUR FAULT

Not necessarily. We had a driver who was delivering to a local high school. As she was getting ready to leave two kids hopped on to the bumper----one of them lost their balance and fell, ending up in the ER. She (the driver) went to visit the kid in the ER and the kid's mother made her son apologize to our driver. Our driver was not charged with an accident.

BrownChoice

So he wasnt charged with an accident, but was there or was there not a Meeting with the whole driver group on this anonymous circumstance?

BrownChoice

And also, thats not necessarily always the outcome what with the sue happy people these days.

Expect the unexpected, was that not unexpected? Shoulda expected it!!!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So he wasnt charged with an accident, but was there or was there not a Meeting with the whole driver group on this anonymous circumstance?

Had you read the post more closely you would have seen that the he was in fact a she.

And also, thats not necessarily always the outcome what with the sue happy people these days.

Expect the unexpected, was that not unexpected? Shoulda expected it!!!!!

This was before we had the cameras.

10 point

Just remembered. Had another kid skateboarding in a neighborhood. I was crossing a speed bump and he reached out and grabbed the rear bumper. Held on to it for a few seconds til he realized I was stopping. I fussed him out as he ran off. Couple weeks later I was a few streets over and as I'm pulling off and turning right from a stop sign the same kid runs up beside me and jumps into the cab. I was barely moving and never saw him til he was in the truck. I stopped and asked him what the hell he was thinking. His reply was he needed a ride home.
Thankfully I've never seen him since.
Probably because he's still in JDC.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Not necessarily. We had a driver who was delivering to a local high school. As she was getting ready to leave two kids hopped on to the bumper----one of them lost their balance and fell, ending up in the ER. She (the driver) went to visit the kid in the ER and the kid's mother made her son apologize to our driver. Our driver was not charged with an accident.
Ahh the BOG. And how many parents today would see dollars signs and try to get a quick payout from UPS because their kid did something stupid and got hurt?? Forget Max....it'll be ship 10 less packages for Billy.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
At the end of a cul de sac I made deliveries to 2 neighboring houses.
As I sat down in my seat and prepared to start up I happened to notice a flash of something in my side mirror. In my RVM I can see 2 little boys sitting on my back bumper waiting for a free ride. Their little legs just a swinging in anticipation for the ride.
Thank you UPS for drilling into me to clear the truck before moving it.
I don't know if they showed the same video to you, but the video they showed us about checking that camera was hilarious. I don't remember it specifically but I want to say he backed over a little kid and it went black and white and the mom screamed. I couldn't keep it together.