Time for Martin Luther King Holiday, next Contract?

Spicybrother

The day after Thanksgiving is gone. We are likely going to have to start working even on the weekends for Christmas seasons. The U.S. Postal service delivers on Sunday. I don't think we should lose days off. Maybe, we give up the day after Thanksgiving completely, really it's already gone, and replace it with another holiday? Martin Luther King is just a suggestion.

Last edited:

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
The day after Thanksgiving is gone. We are likely going to have to start working even on the weekends for Christmas seasons. The U.S. Postal service delivers on Sunday. I don't think we should lose days off. Maybe, we give up the day after Thanksgiving completely, really it's already gone, and replace it with another holiday? Martin Luther King is just a suggestion.
Aint going to happen. Lesson learned with this company, once you make a conscession with this company you aint never getting it back. Thats what these idiots that keeping voting yes on these bogusazz contracts dont realize. You give a little and they take alot. Secondly if your not smart enough to get your 60 hours in by the end of work during peak on a friday night, then guess what that dumbasczz is going to have the work the weekend if they try and force it. Easy solution to not working weekends during peak.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Once you lose a perk you rarely if ever have it replaced.

Black Friday is gone. UPS will continue to pay us holiday pay and the hourly rate in our supplements to work that day for the duration of this contract. The new contract will have one less holiday and language closing out that week for selection.

There are many more changes coming our way, to include Saturday ground delivery.

slantnosechevy

Once you lose a perk you rarely if ever have it replaced.

Black Friday is gone. UPS will continue to pay us holiday pay and the hourly rate in our supplements to work that day for the duration of this contract. The new contract will have one less holiday and language closing out that week for selection.

There are many more changes coming our way, to include Saturday ground delivery.

Saturday ground has been possible since 2002 in most areas with the Tues. through Sat. scheduling. The next big push will be any 5 in 7 language they are trying to get in the 710 current negotiations. Sucks to be the unborn. The youth currently employed by this company need to get off their collective :censored2: and get involved.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Saturday ground has been possible since 2002 in most areas with the Tues. through Sat. scheduling. The next big push will be any 5 in 7 language they are trying to get in the 710 current negotiations. Sucks to be the unborn. The youth currently employed by this company need to get off their collective :censored2: and get involved.

The union has failed the PTmers.

We have PTmers who are not in the union simply because no one followed up with them after the first contact with a steward.

I consistently hear "Where's the union" coming from PTmers all the time. My response is "you're standing right there"

rod

Retired 22 years
The union has failed the PTmers.

We have PTmers who are not in the union simply because no one followed up with them after the first contact with a steward.

I consistently hear "Where's the union" coming from PTmers all the time. My response is "you're standing right there"

I would say its the other way around. If the part timers would get their act together and get united they would have a BIG say in what is negotiated in the contracts. The squeaky wheel gets the grease you know. The percentage of part timers who even bother to vote makes one say wtf.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
I would say its the other way around. If the part timers would get their act together and get united they would have a BIG say in what is negotiated in the contracts. The squeaky wheel gets the grease you know. The percentage of part timers who even bother to vote makes one say wtf.

Nope. If no one explains how the union works, how are they supposed to be a part of it.

I am not a steward but Igo around explaining things to them the best I can. They still don't get it.

The union needs to educate them. They're babies

M

Mike hunt

It will likely always be a holiday that you will get paid for with double time plus holiday pay.

rod

Retired 22 years
Nope. If no one explains how the union works, how are they supposed to be a part of it.

I am not a steward but Igo around explaining things to them the best I can. They still don't get it.

The union needs to educate them. They're babies

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I don't think its that they "don't get it" its more like they don't give a hoot. A lot of them are only there for a short time and don't take it as a "career" type of job. A good majority of them are still living at home and really don't realize just how much income it takes to support themselves so a few bucks an hour, just enough to party on and maybe buy a beater car or a crotch rocket, is good enough for them. I really don't see anything changing as long as the starting pay is so low. Its kind of a catch 22 situation. I'm all for them getting more but as long as they won't insist on the Union speaking up for them nothing is going to happen. The bottom line is the ball is in their court.

HBGPreloader

They made the announcement on Friday. They're now forcing mandatory 12 hr shifts for full-time inside employees until the end of peak.
Although we can't do jack about it now, I would say 3 personal days for every holiday they take because that would be the equivalent to what we are losing.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
At some point during the last contract negotiations the company brought up trading the day after thanksgiving for a different holiday but the union said no.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Local 804 has Election Day....double time for all hours worked and instead of holiday pay...we get an extra optional day (6 optionals instead of 5). It can be done.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I'd like both
Black friday dont matter to me. I work to make as much money as possible, always business 1st homeboy. Not phased by it at all really, just another day, difference is your making mad bank that day lol. The more money i make, the more money i save and the house gets paid off faster is how i look at it. Might as well work as much as you can when your younger to set yourself up for retirement and no debt when you retire.