To those that lurk more than post...

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I was not going to say anything until I read this.
OK heres my take on this.You got almost 95% of drivers giving 100% every day.Why ride everyones @ss just to fix a few?
How the hell did you ever end up in a situation where you are working for those characters. And what does that make you?
I find this insulting.It implies that everyone in management has been promoted because they really deserve it,and that anyone working under them is inferior.
It also implies that because we are hourlies,we have not realized that because we chose this path we are stupid.Everyone is different,and its unfair to judge them as though they lived your life.
From my experience even the extremely rare slow days as a driver would probobly be a wake up call to most people.
Thank you DS!

tieguy

Banned
I was not going to say anything until I read this.
OK heres my take on this.You got almost 95% of drivers giving 100% every day.Why ride everyones @ss just to fiyx a few?
How the hell did you ever end up in a situation where you are working for those characters. And what does that make you?
I find this insulting.It implies that everyone in management has been promoted because they really deserve it,and that anyone working under them is inferior.
It also implies that because we are hourlies,we have not realized that because we chose this path we are stupid.Everyone is different,and its unfair to judge them as though they lived your life.
From my experience even the extremely rare slow days as a driver would probobly be a wake up call to most people.

You found my response insulting but not his post?

Its a real simple question. If you want to run around saying your so smart and the boss is such a :censored2: then how did you the smart guy end up working for the :censored2: in the first place.

And does that really make you that much smarter then him?

satellitedriver

how did you the smart guy end up working for the :censored2: in the first place.
Good question,
Was I smarter or dumber for turning down a management position 22yrs ago and continue as a driver?
I was smart enough to continue working while I saw 7 center manager's quit or get fired. I saw an entire center team fired for fudging numbers. The present team is falsifying numbers to satisfy the numbers the DM wants to see and will meet the same guillotine.
In direct answer to you question, I do not work for any :censored2:. I work for UPS. I have only been smart enough to keep my job while I have seen management personnel come and go.

NHDRVR

Pip posted on another thread that as a lurker, it seems that there is a lot of hostility. Mostly between management and hourly. Almost like we are at each others throats. What you are seeing is more smoke than fire.

A lot of people come on this site from a lot of different backgrounds, jobs, experiences etc. They all have an unique view of UPS from the angle that it is viewed. Some have viewed it from different angles, at different times.

Very few lie, or are just trying to cause trouble.

We as UPSers are by our very competitive nature, very passionate about our views. Sometimes that passion, on the internet, is viewed as hateful or flaming in nature. Thats just the nature of the internet.

The majority of the posters here would enjoy spending time in the company of others on this site, even those that we disagree with profusely.

So please, dont let the tone of this site turn you off or send you away. It is, still by far, the best internet site dealing with UPS and the specialized issues that deal with life at UPS and afterward.

We are(at least for the most part) UPSers.

d

Some good points made...

When I was told about this site about 2 years, or so, ago I didn't realize the scale of what it was. You don't have to search very far to find something on the fringe like 401k info. or about the flu that should hit all of us this winter. Having said that, if you choose to be a lurker, contributor, doctor, lawyer, Indian chief, what ever... the bottom line on this site is that the majority of information comes from drivers. Real drivers, regardless of seniority (and honestly, we can tell who drives and who doesn't) that have real concerns about their job.

It's far too easy to forget that this company doesn't function without us, THE DRIVERS. I don't need a guy/gal with telematics, a clipboard, or a dark pair of sunglasses following me around to make sure I keep the company afloat. I am the one moving the cardboard and making REAL money for UPS. You can double management and triple the centers or fire management and close them all. The cardboard has to be moved from point A to point B.

If you are not carrying cardboard then I am carrying you...

JustTired

free at last.......
It's far too easy to forget that this company doesn't function without us, THE DRIVERS. I don't need a guy/gal with telematics, a clipboard, or a dark pair of sunglasses following me around to make sure I keep the company afloat. I am the one moving the cardboard and making REAL money for UPS. You can double management and triple the centers or fire management and close them all. The cardboard has to be moved from point A to point B.

With the diversification of the company in recent years, you will hear that we (pkg delivery) are the "least profitable" part of the company. I take that to mean we still show a profit. And without this arm of the company, the others may not flourish. I believe part of that lower profit margin has more to do with technology rather than actual delivery method and payroll. If you're going to spend millions on a technology, it would be in the best interest to maximize the efficiency of that technology. That's where the problem lies. Rushing into service a technology doesn't make it efficient. It takes a lot of thought and common sense to achieve the ultimate goal of improved efficiency. The tools are there to make that happen. You just have to have the right people behind those tools.

Technology can be your friend....or it can be your worst nightmare. Somebody better wake up before it's too late.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I find it amusing that tieguy is controlling all you repliers out there.
Remember, every time someone posts something that you find objectionable and you reply, that person is controlling you.

That is why tieguy does not like me, because i do not respond to his posts in the manner he wants me to ... I do not let him control me.

Just a thought. :peaceful:

tieguy

Banned
Remember, every time someone posts something that you find objectionable and you reply, that person is controlling you.

That is why tieguy does not like me, because i do not respond to his posts in the manner he wants me to ... I do not let him control me.

Interesting point made at a time when it does not seem there was any reason to make this point? Perhaps you could elaborate why you a moderator suddenly felt the need to attack a poster here?

Last edited:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
You found my response insulting but not his post?

Its a real simple question. If you want to run around saying your so smart and the boss is such a :censored2: then how did you the smart guy end up working for the :censored2: in the first place.

There is a big difference between smart and ethical.

You might see smart management people promoted, sometimes - but most of them are not-so smart but are unethical, which IS EQUIVALENT to being smart according to the numbers game.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Interesting point made at a time when it does not seem there was any reason to make this point? Perhaps you could elaborate why you a moderator suddenly felt the need to attack a poster here?

Excuse me 705red, I was posting, not moderating. :funny:

and red, that was not an attack ... I did not disparage you in anyway.
I simply pointed out that when a poster posts something and others feel compelled to reply in kind, the repliers are being controlled by the original poster.

If I ever feel compelled to attack you, I will let you know but I doubt if that will ever happen.

tieguy

Banned

Just so I don't end up adopting your self proclaimed style of dodging question and issues the reason I don't like you is because of the following:

a) you self admitted style of dodging questions and issues. You seem to avoid confontation by making some goofy comment.
b) your style of dodging questions and issues is one of arrogance. You come across as being real smug as if offering an opinion is beneath you. If it is beneath you then why hang out on a message board?
c) You have a some type of obsession with me as the post shows again. You frequently inject yourself into some conversation with a totally out of context comment as you did here with this one. You believe this somehow shows your mental superiority here.
d) Your obsession with me is often unprovoked and often insulting as this post was.

I think this post here and now was totally uncalled for. The good news is it highlights all your faults here.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Just so I don't end up adopting your self proclaimed style of dodging question and issues the reason I don't like you is because of the following:

a) you self admitted style of dodging questions and issues. You seem to avoid confontation by making some goofy comment.
b) your style of dodging questions and issues is one of arrogance. You come across as being real smug as if offering an opinion is beneath you. If it is beneath you then why hang out on a message board?
c) You have a some type of obsession with me as the post shows again. You frequently inject yourself into some conversation with a totally out of context comment as you did here with this one. You believe this somehow shows your mental superiority here.
d) Your obsession with me is often unprovoked and often insulting as this post was.

I think this post here and now was totally uncalled for. The good news is it highlights all your faults here.

See folks. A perfect example of how I have controlled another poster. :funny:

tieguy

Banned

and red, that was not an attack ... I did not disparage you in anyway.
I simply pointed out that when a poster posts something and others feel compelled to reply in kind, the repliers are being controlled by the original poster.

If I ever feel compelled to attack you, I will let you know but I doubt if that will ever happen.

I'm not sure if you noticed or not but that was me and not red posting the question to your unprovoked attack on me.

tieguy

Banned
See folks. A perfect example of how I have controlled another poster. :funny:

Your excellence I am gratefull you have chosen to share you superiority with the minions here.

by the way this is Tieguy speaking. Reds the one with the ..cough..red hair.

So any reason why you decided to come out of your shell to attack me or are we still playing control games?

Last edited:

705red

Browncafe Steward
See thats the problem with todays kids. If the manager yells at them their mindset should be

"geez I work for that guy and I'm not making him happy. Maybe I should try a little harder. It is what I am paid to do"

Instead in todays society no one accepts responsibility for being a screw up so todays kids decide they need to take the boss to court for being unhappy with their job performance.

Tie in today's UPS you hear and see everyday the power being taken away from management. It used to be a center team ran the center, now today a clown with a calculator runs the center and the team gets moved by strings.

Many times the team on the strings know whats going on is wrong but they are content with being pulled by the strings. They know that when a driver tells them they wont finish that the driver is telling the truth, and instead of putting in routes they will send another driver half way across the center to cover pick ups or take deliveries off costing the center more of its daily/weekly budget.

I have been in the office with several drivers over performance. And every management person agrees that their studies are bad. Simple solution, fix the studies. NOOOOOOO ride the driver and force him to work unsafe until he gets his numbers closer to the unrealistic expectations! This is why alot of management are losing their respect, just as an example!

Im glad that you are now able to separate between the two!

JustTired

free at last.......
Boy......
If I didn't know better, I'd of thought there was a Republican-Democrat Senate debate going on here!

One thing we can be sure of. Nothing of meaning will ever get decided here, either!

Just kidding........about here....not the Senate.