Transferring to a different state + Different local union = Losing my seniority?

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by Goldenja, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Goldenja

Goldenja New Member

I'm a Preloader of 2 years, and I was told that if I were to move to a different state that has a different local union, that I have to sacrifice my 2 years and start all over again. So that means I would lose all of my benefits and have to do the process all over again. Is this actually true?

Thanks in advance!

2. By The Book

By The Book Well-Known Member

I do believe that is correct. If you were to transfer to a local covered by your contract you should only lose building seniority, but keep all fringe benefits.

3. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

You would not lose your years of service; however, you would lose your seniority.

4. Goldenja

Goldenja New Member

So your saying I will at least keep my benefits? just trying to get a clear understanding

5. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 ahhh....the mouth breathers

I believe so.

6. By The Book

Please hit the reply button so we know who you are replying to. Did you call your local union for the info you provided in your initial post?

7. Goldenja

Goldenja New Member

dang, okay

8. Goldenja

Goldenja New Member

okay, just getting the hang of this site

well, do all hubs have you wait a year before benefits kick in again? or do different hubs vary? I heard it used to be 6 months at one time. But people would take advantage and leave.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  9. Goldenja

Goldenja New Member

and no, i haven't called yet. just waking up actually lol

10. By The Book

It depends on the local you would go to. How far away are you thinking of going? Did you ask your local union office these questions?

11. You would start all over again . No benefits ,vacation and bottom of the paycale.

Unless you get approved for a educational transfer. You would keep your pay and benefits but would lose your seniority.

12. Goldenja

Goldenja New Member

well, I am in college.. and they're paying for it

13. Goldenja

Goldenja New Member

not yet.. but Missouri to Ohio, possibly

14. 542thruNthru

542thruNthru Well-Known Member

We have had plenty of people transfer into my building from out of state. The only thing they lost was seniority. They went to the bottom. They kept everything else.

15. Goldenja

Goldenja New Member

everything as in...? (hoping you say benefits lol)

16. 542thruNthru

Sorry I believe I read your post wrong. Are you transfering or just leaving to another state and getting rehired?

If you are transfering and they have approved it than yes you should keep your benefits.

17. Goldenja

Goldenja New Member

Nice!

Well, It's all just a thought at the moment (a realistic thought at that) But I would like to transfer so i don't have to start all over again

18. 542thruNthru

Good luck. I know people that have been trying to transfer out of state for years. It's not easy from what I've seen and heard.

19. Goldenja

Goldenja New Member

Really? No worries, if it's meant to be, it'll happen

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

20. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

You should wait until after Peak to start the process.