Transfers and moving

• Thread starter Deleted member 86838
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 86838

My husband works for UPS as a driver. We desperately want to move to South Carolina we’re currently living in Oregon has there been any stories of people moving and being able to stay a driver without starting completely over? We are planning on going to vacation next year there and plan on going into a few different centers to talk to people.

My husband works for UPS as a driver. We desperately want to move to South Carolina we’re currently living in Oregon has there been any stories of people moving and being able to stay a driver without starting completely over? We are planning on going to vacation next year there and plan on going into a few different centers to talk to people.
Nope
Sorry

Wolv

What I was told is if you transfer you keep your current pay rate but lose your seniority and go to the bottom of the list at the new building.

Brown Biscuit

Blind every day
I’ve heard of drivers getting the chance to transfer but losing all seniority when it comes to picking vacation and what not. No idea if it’s true or not. Maybe contact your local HR or Union Hall and ask there. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Delivery!!!

Who gets in the way of transferring more, the union or the company? The company has a policy for non union employees to be able to follow a spouse if they get a job that requires relocating. How can we not negotiate something similar into the master?

Who gets in the way of transferring more, the union or the company? The company has a policy for non union employees to be able to follow a spouse if they get a job that requires relocating. How can we not negotiate something similar into the master?
How would you like to be a driver in a warm weather state and all the high seniority drivers want to transfer to your building?

542thruNthru

Both. Company doesn't want to deal with it and the union has the pensions that are different almost every where.

542thruNthru

I would say 90% sure he will not be able to transfer without quiting and getting rehired.

Western region doesn't allow transfers for FT driver's to the east coast.

Up In Smoke

The only full time transfer out of state that I was involved in was a military transfer. We had a female full time driver whose husband was an Army Major. He was transferred to DC and she was allowed to follow and keep all her seniority. A pension buyout was paid by our local into her new local.

Delivery!!!

How would you like to be a driver in a warm weather state and all the high seniority drivers want to transfer to your building?
I'd be fine losing all seniority within your classification and a short term pay cut due to having to learn new areas, but you keep your time in with the company so you keep the same amount of vacations and pay after the short term pay cut. Small price to pay for the freedom in my mind. Part timers would take a hit to getting a chance to advance, maybe they would at least show up to vote then if they don't like it.

I'd be fine losing all seniority within your classification and a short term pay cut due to having to learn new areas, but you keep your time in with the company so you keep the same amount of vacations and pay after the short term pay cut. Small price to pay for the freedom in my mind. Part timers would take a hit to getting a chance to advance, maybe they would at least show up to vote then if they don't like it.
Like @542thruNthru said almost every region in the country has a different pension plan.

542thruNthru

PTers can transfer anywhere they want. They just have to enroll to the college in the area and then drop out when they get here. Lots for it.

Delivery!!!

Like @542thruNthru said almost every region in the country has a different pension plan.
Which is why I asked the original question in the first place. Feels like the union is in the way more than the company. The union should be able to work out the pension issue on behalf of the member. Their supposed to be there for us. The language would have to be done so the company would agree to it, hence some sort of temporary pay cut. Let the employee then decide if going forward with moving is worth the consequences. They should at least have a choice.

Which is why I asked the original question in the first place. Feels like the union is in the way more than the company. The union should be able to work out the pension issue on behalf of the member. Their supposed to be there for us. The language would have to be done so the company would agree to it, hence some sort of temporary pay cut. Let the employee then decide if going forward with moving is worth the consequences. They should at least have a choice.
Unfortunately its not they easy.
How would you like to have a few years with the company, then transfer and lose the pension credits you already had

SandSpida

How long has been a driver

Delivery!!!

Unfortunately its not they easy.
How would you like to have a few years with the company, then transfer and lose the pension credits you already had
I wouldn't. I don't know what it would all take on the unions end to keep the pension square. I'd like to think something like the above military related transfer could be done with a monetary payout from one pension to another to cover the value of your vested time. Just my thoughts. I feel bad for my wife at times that I could be holding her back. Wish it didn't have to be this way.

I wouldn't. I don't know what it would all take on the unions end to keep the pension square. I'd like to think something like the above military related transfer could be done with a monetary payout from one pension to another to cover the value of your vested time. Just my thoughts. I feel bad for my wife at times that I could be holding her back. Wish it didn't have to be this way.
At least we have a pension not too many places can say that anymore