Two Men And A Truck or...

laffter

Is there actually a 150lb weight limit? Yesterday, one of the routes I loaded had a "150lb" box with a wooden pallet as a base. I can lift and carry 80+ pounders with no problem. This thing was so hard to even move on the ground. It had to be well over 150.

rod

Retired 22 years
During peak I always liked the big stuff--the bigger the better. A couple of Nortic Tracks would help fill up my truck alot faster than 50 more little residential Sears or Fingerhut packages. When they insisted on blowing out my truck everyday at peak--- bigger was better.

oldngray

nowhere special
During peak I always liked the big stuff--the bigger the better. A couple of Nortic Tracks would help fill up my truck alot faster than 50 more little residential Sears or Fingerhut packages. When they insisted on blowing out my truck everyday at peak--- bigger was better.

Then they can shuttle out the stuff that wouldn't fit so you can go back to all of those stops you've already delivered to.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Is there actually a 150lb weight limit? Yesterday, one of the routes I loaded had a "150lb" box with a wooden pallet as a base. I can lift and carry 80+ pounders with no problem. This thing was so hard to even move on the ground. It had to be well over 150.

I have been told that they do try to catch them before they get to the center but if they do make it to the center they will be put out for delivery. The shipping charge is adjusted and a surcharge added.

DS

Fenderbender
I have been told that they do try to catch them before they get to the center but if they do make it to the center they will be put out for delivery. The shipping charge is adjusted and a surcharge added.
I have been told a lot of things too.Ever notice that most of it is BS?
The random audits rarely catch the overweights.
Engines in rubbermaid cases,wall units in a box.
Anything not done online.
​Newer drivers are in such a hurry it's better to just pick it up and move on,only us seasoned ones know what to refuse to pick up.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Had one I picked up. Guys at the stop hoisted it onto my package car and we slid it into the back corner. Next day it was an example of what not to pick up. What am I, a human scale? Turns out it weighed 249 pounds and the shipper had to come and pick it up at the Center.

satellitedriver

That was before the stops per car metric.
You actually worked with sup's that had area knowledge.
Those were the good old days.

The Milkman

I'm glad you mentioned that !

All those 100lb+ boxes have damages because the train guy just flops them up on the train carts and the high ends just dig into the box. I would think after seeing all these boxes being refused by the customers that UPS could find a better way.

How about making a train cart out of some softer material or at the very least put rubber padding on all the edges of those train carts. Maybe they can use all that Orion money that's burning their pockets on something that will actually make the company money. Picking up overweight damaged boxes and sending them back through the system costs the company millions !!!

They won't because it makes sense:why:

The Milkman

There was DR in the very late 1980's. But the Ford P600s really brought the suck. Paper records weren't fun, nor was the supervisor's pissing about your handwriting not being neat enough. Don't know about the DIADS now, but the first couple of versions didn't work well, (especially the signature pads) if at all, when it rained or was below freezing. Plus they didn't broadcast, so you had to find a phone every 90 minutes, dial a number which connected you to a modem, and dump the delivery data that way. Paper seemed faster than all that.

Don't forget trying to sheet numbers in the cold and your pen would freeze up or the paper was wet from rain and yes ..was that a 4 or an x??:peaceful:

The Milkman

That crap pisses me off to no end. Massive pieces of furniture...GENERATORS...huge rolls of carpet. large spools of heavy duty cabling. all WELL over 150 lbs. we actually had these 4.5x4.5x4.5 (feet)animal cages come thru for the zoo the other day. its ridiculous, none of this stuff should be in the system. besides the weight, there's the problem that none of it fits the tiny space between the rollers and the bay door. so it has to be manhandled up onto the slide then pushed off and over on to the ground. i can't even imagine that crap in a package car.

I remember all the fun I had in my P500 when I would have 2 select comfort bed sets , a nordic trac and maybe some Gateway computers on a rural route , no bulk stops to clear the isle for me..Just had to go miles out of my way to get rid of them so I could make sense of my load:knockedout:

S

serenity now

I remember all the fun I had in my P500 when I would have 2 select comfort bed sets , a nordic trac and maybe some Gateway computers on a rural route , no bulk stops to clear the isle for me..Just had to go miles out of my way to get rid of them so I could make sense of my load:knockedout:

i've said it before; if you order some big-ass crap on my route, you just won a free early delivery
(not fighting that stuff all day)