Two Teamsters United Delegate Slates Nominated Today in Texas

image.png
image.png
I do not support RTW as it is written.

People choosing not to join should not get our negotiated benefits or representation.
You are as right to work as it gets.

Orion Syndicate

90% or lose a limb. (limb is user choice!)
And how are you getting around Art XXll, Sec 8 of the IBT Constitution that eliminates that practice. That bylaw, if approved, will be null and void when it's sent to ANY General President for approval.
BTW ask Tim S how elected business agents worked out for him.
It wouldn't be the first time a General President imposed his will over what the membership wants. However if the rank and file decide in majority to make changes I don't know how someone could prevent them and say they're for the members. That's what's great about elections, majority 'should' rule. I'm interested in why you prefer appointed business agents, logically speaking they work for the person who appointed them and an elected BA will work for those who elected him/her. We see abuses by appointed officials frequently, what are the merits to it?

Orion Syndicate

Accountability?
It's much harder to remove an elected official, than an appointed one.
I can see merit in that but they'd be accountable to the President of the local but not to the members of the shop floor they represent. Good BAs are also dismissed because they go against the politics of the President, which if elected wouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I can see merit in that but they'd be accountable to the President of the local but not to the members of the shop floor they represent. Good BAs are also dismissed because they go against the politics of the President, which if elected wouldn't be an issue.
But isn't the President and Eboard subsequently accountable to the membership?
My local elects BAs and I struggle with which notion is the best.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
We see abuses by appointed officials frequently

In your Local ?

It's much harder to remove an elected official, than an appointed one.

Pretty much.

Appointed BA's (or other employees) work at the discretion of the Principal Officer.

Removing someone from an elected position, is an arduous process. (involving the E-board)

And then.... there is the appeals process.

Good BAs are also dismissed because they go against the politics of the President, which if elected wouldn't be an issue.

Life can be made hard.

Just say'n....

-Bug-

Orion Syndicate

But isn't the President and Eboard subsequently accountable to the membership?
My local elects BAs and I struggle with which notion is the best.

You would think they'd be accountable to the membership but we've had lame duck leaders for 20+years, lead to a lot of apathy. Which leads me to why I'm opposed to appointed positions. We have non-ups companies in our local whose membership numbers are dangerously low due to lack of active representation. Our VP is a decent enough fellow but a below average BA at best, not active on shop floors. Guess who the President made the BA at one of the struggling companies? When we need a push in the other direction, one that an elected BA from that Shop even could bolster our numbers strengthening the local we get cronyism at its finest to waste $130 Gs.
Here's our local in a nutshell:
The slate in power literally split, misconduct on both sides to the point of criminal proportion and one side destroyed the other. Measures were taken by both those factions to prevent anyone else from running for local EBoard positions preventing accountability once again. Our choice was one political mess or the other. Our newly elected president who was the secretary treasurer under the old regime and has been living off the union dime for nearly 20 years had to get a stay by Hoffa from being found guilty by Joint Council 80 of serious charges just to run. And that guy won which shows you how bad the other guys were! And that's who is appointing our BAs. There is a reformist movement forming but the apathy is strong with this local, we shall see if anything will come from it or were stuck with the same ole BS.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
You would think they'd be accountable to the membership but we've had lame duck leaders for 20+years, lead to a lot of apathy. Which leads me to why I'm opposed to appointed positions. We have non-ups companies in our local whose membership numbers are dangerously low due to lack of active representation. Our VP is a decent enough fellow but a below average BA at best, not active on shop floors. Guess who the President made the BA at one of the struggling companies? When we need a push in the other direction, one that an elected BA from that Shop even could bolster our numbers strengthening the local we get cronyism at its finest to waste $130 Gs.
Here's our local in a nutshell:
The slate in power literally split, misconduct on both sides to the point of criminal proportion and one side destroyed the other. Measures were taken by both those factions to prevent anyone else from running for local EBoard positions preventing accountability once again. Our choice was one political mess or the other. Our newly elected president who was the secretary treasurer under the old regime and has been living off the union dime for nearly 20 years had to get a stay by H from being found guilty by Joint Council 80 of serious charges just to run. And that guy won which shows you how bad the other guys were! And that's who is appointing our BAs. There is a reformist movement forming but the apathy is strong with this local, we shall see if anything will come from it or were stuck with the same ole BS.
What a sad, but all too familiar story.

It doesn't have to be that way.
Please don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

5habits100

You are talking about someone else and ask me if I need a tissue. You were dropped on your head as a child.

If agents are elected they do not have to listen to the PO as much as they do if they are appointed. They can be a coffee and donut agent go to the barn and not do as much. The reality is most members don't have issues or don't get into trouble.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
You are talking about someone else and ask me if I need a tissue. You were dropped on your head as a child.

If agents are elected they do not have to listen to the PO as much as they do if they are appointed. They can be a coffee and donut agent go to the barn and not do as much. The reality is most members don't have issues or don't get into trouble.
You seemed upset.

I offered you a tissue.

Like I would with any cheerleader.

Inthegame

It wouldn't be the first time a General President imposed his will over what the membership wants.
Whether or not you approved of the GP and GEB's action regarding the UPS contract, they did follow guiding language in the Constitutuion. What you guys are trying to pass would violate the Constitution. Every Bylaw amendment must be approved by the GP, who turns it over to the legal depatment to ascertain if the bylaw is constitutional. If indeed your proposed bylaw passes the membership vote, I'd suggest a waiver request be sent along with the proposed bylaw amendment.

I prefer appointed agents for accountability. If the appointing authority is derelict in their duty, replace them.

Good luck.

realbrown1

Whether or not you approved of the GP and GEB's action regarding the UPS contract, they did follow guiding language in the Constitutuion. What you guys are trying to pass would violate the Constitution. Every Bylaw amendment must be approved by the GP, who turns it over to the legal depatment to ascertain if the bylaw is constitutional. If indeed your proposed bylaw passes the membership vote, I'd suggest a waiver request be sent along with the proposed bylaw amendment.

I prefer appointed agents for accountability. If the appointing authority is derelict in their duty, replace them.

Good luck.
They didn't have to impose those contracts.

Nothing forced them to.

They chose to impose those contracts.

We don't forget.

Inthegame

They didn't have to impose those contracts.

Nothing forced them to.

They chose to impose those contracts.

We don't forget.
And you don't pay attention. Where did I say they "had" to impose contracts? The clear point of my post was regarding language in the IBT Constitution. Not what was done, but what can be done in accordance with the rules.

realbrown1

And you don't pay attention. Where did I say they "had" to impose contracts? The clear point of my post was regarding language in the IBT Constitution. Not what was done, but what can be done in accordance with the rules.
You pointed out that it is in the rules that they are allowed to impose contracts.

I just pointed out that they had a choice.

And they chose against the membership in favor of the company.

The GEB are friend-ing scabs.