Union Politics - IRB busts the Ohio Confrence of Teamsters

He did it because UPS offered it to our membership IF they'd cross the line and break the impasse.
That's why Carey matched it. Probably because he felt we didn't have the backbone to resist the $1000 bump and it had been two weeks since the strike began and many were restless.
You are missing what I'm saying. Why would he make it 3000 across the board for others who's employers didn't match the contributions of ups members contributions? Why would he give a guy who worked for Jones Transfer the same pension as a guy at ups when they weren't even close to the same contributions? He friend. Ed us all.

To turn down an extra grand a month seemed ludicrous to many but the real culprit was the company who wanted the pension. They knew the union and it's members were in a corner with the pension and took advantage of it.

The real problematic question is how many of us would have crossed the line if he hadn't matched it.

That's the true issue.
Upsers deserved the 3000 and more. I have friends in the IAM that get 6400 a month that worked for ups for 30 years. Your logic is a little lost.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
No matter what I or anyone says you will always find something else. What's the point of debating it with you and hen you never see anyone else's side.
I see what you're saying, but it's been 17 years since and we are just now trying to right the ship?
How am I supposed to appreciate that?

10 point

You are missing what I'm saying. Why would he make it 3000 across the board for others who's employers didn't match the contributions of ups members contributions? Why would he give a guy who worked for Jones Transfer the same pension as a guy at ups when they weren't even close to the same contributions? He friend. Ed us all.
I'm not saying it was the right thing to do and I agree with you in that issue.

It was wrong. Never should have happened. Period.

But as I said (and lived it) there would have been mass exodus at the strike line because rge strike took most members by surprise and after two wks out of work there were many struggling to keep the faith.

An extra grand per month was a chunk of change in 1997.
The company saw the opportunity to dump rocks into a sinking ship and they did it.

I see what you're saying, but it's been 17 years since and we are just now trying to right the ship?
How am I supposed to appreciate that?
I think that decreasing it was going to be kinda illegal. You have to go to the root of the problem. Th root of the problem was when Ron car y raised it to 3000 for all members instead of just ups. He was to scared to do the right thing though because it is like have been bad for him politically. You know it's true. Just admit it.

I'm not saying it was the right thing to do and I agree with you in that issue.

It was wrong. Never should have happened. Period.

But as I said (and lived it) there would have been mass exodus at the strike line because rge strike took most members by surprise and after two wks out of work there were many struggling to keep the faith.

An extra grand per month was a chunk of change in 1997.
The company saw the opportunity to dump rocks into a sinking ship and they did it.
Yea yea but why did he increase it for everyone? Why not just upsers?

10 point

Upsers deserved the 3000 and more. I have friends in the IAM that get 6400 a month that worked for ups for 30 years. Your logic is a little lost.
My logic isn't lost.

It was OUR strike and I always said we paid the dues on the line for the increase.
UPS Teamsters did.

My logic isn't lost.

It was OUR strike and I always said we paid the dues on the line for the increase.
UPS Teamsters did.
So why has a guy from Jones Transfer who's been retired for 18 years and compensated with 648,000 dollars pissed off. Because he has gotten far more than his employer ever dreamed of putting into the fund and left it friend Ed up for upsers who retired prior to 07. Ron Carey was irresponsible.

10 point

Yea yea but why did he increase it for everyone? Why not just upsers?
Agreed!

The increase should never...ever...occurred if we could not have paid for it and to my recollection we had lost some 640 million $ already that year.

Fear drove that decision in my opinion.
It was wrong across the board.

10 point

You should never spend someone else's money and that's what happened.

But that is over, judgement day is here. People need to understand the facts and realize they got a pension amount that was not sustainable and that they did not earn.

People need to get over it. It is what it is and many got free money that their company never paid in for them.
That's it.

Period. End of story.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I don't know. I feel like whatever I say that is right will always be wrong in people's eyes here. It like life in general and being affiliated with unions politics and members. It's life.
It's all good, we get what you're saying.
It just seems like dwelling on Carey today for what happened in 1997, is like blaming my kid for the 17 year old stain on our living room carpet.

Last edited:

10 point

From my perspective; having had a daughter in college at that time and a wife that was sick it would have been pretty tempting to cross the picket line except that I knew that we all had to stand together with each other's future in view, not giving in to the last, best, and "final" offer that most assuredly meant screwing others for our own personal gain.

That was the issue underlying in the last minute cave in to match the company's poison that was assuredly going to bring us to exactly where we are today. DOA.

Where are the people, members, that have the spine to say that they appreciate the extra pension money they've received that was fought for by UPS Teamsters, some of which paid dearly when they went back to work or were purposely laid off as retaliation for not crossing the picket line?

Why doesn't common sense prevail toward the big picture that clearly says for 17 years they got a huge bonus in pension on the backs of UPS Teamster solidarity?

There's little thankfulness in a country that has a welfare mentality. Our grandparents would shake their heads in disbelief.

There is no free lunch and this has finally come home to roost.

The Ohio issue at hand just adds fuel to the fire and it's bs if you think TDU is to blame.
Maybe like Bubblehead said earlier, it may need to burn down to start over. IDK.

But it's a absolute shame that the great leaders that are now listed in the report are shown in disrepute.

Accountability is a very expensive word.
Someone needs to stop taking things for granted, remember where they came from and realize that us little dues paying members are depending on them.

Last edited: