Union Power in Elections?

jimstud

Banned
the union is only as strong as its membership. the only time most of the members that i represent stand behind me is when they are in the sh t.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Unions have never had real political power in this country, but they did use to have a little more influence. Nowadays they serve most effectively as a straw man for their opponents to rail against.

brett636

This is what always kills me when I see the bumper stickers that say "I'm union and I vote!". Its meaningless because unions make up less than 7% of the work force and a good portion of that are government employees.

over9five

Staff member
This is what always kills me when I see the bumper stickers that say "I'm union and I vote!". Its meaningless because unions make up less than 7% of the work force and a good portion of that are government employees.

Good point.

Does anyone also think that a person making good money, like a Teamster UPS driver, is less likely to vote the way his union leadership wants him to vote?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Good point.

Does anyone also think that a person making good money, like a Teamster UPS driver, is less likely to vote the way his union leadership wants him to vote?
I don't think it makes much of a difference. There are rich people who vote democrat and poor people who vote republican and vice versa. The most union leadership can do is make people aware of the issues they care about, but for the majority of people card check and the minimum wage are not key issues and the fact is that neither party is a particular friend of labor for the simple reason that unions have so little power. Both republicans and democrats rely on big business for their support because that's where the money is.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Harry Reid’s Push To Nationalize ALL Cop/Firemen Unions

July 20, 2010
By Warner Todd Huston
Senate Democrat Majority Leader Harry Reid is quietly trying to nationalize rules governing every police, fire and first responder union in the nation. Through the benignly named Public Safety Employer-Employee Cooperation Act (H.R.413) Reid wants all first responders represented by collective bargaining rules emanating from Washington D.C. Naturally he thinks that it is necessary as a matter of national security.

Lue C Fur

Evil member
Reid...just another liberal scumbag that needs to crawl back under the rock he came from.

dustyharry-incompetence.jpg

moreluck

golden ticket member
Thursday, October 13, 2011 @ 12:06 pm |
Teamster Chief Goon James Hoffa Threatens Ohio GOP Gov. John Kasich: “We’ve Got a Big Truck Out There, And Now We’re Going To Run You Over!”

And these thugs are Barack Obama’s base.
TOLEDO (ABC) — Teamsters International President James Hoffa was in Toledo on Wednesday headlining a rally urging voters to vote no on Issue 2, the referendum on the November ballot over the new law that restricts the collective bargaining rights of public employees.

“They say the whole world is watching,” says Hoffa. “America is watching Ohio. Between now and November 8th we’ve got to send a message. This is our time. This is our time for workers to stand up.”

Hoffa told union members at the Teamsters Local 20 hall that they are fighting back against a war on workers. He had some strong words for Republican Governor John Kasich.

“Governor Kasich, we’ve got a big truck out there and now we’re going to run you over!” says Hoffa.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
jr ain't the same man his father was.
The time for strong arm tactics is long gone, just like jr should be.
Saying things like that casts the wrong message about who we really are and I for one am a shamed that such a maroon leads my union.